4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone ever disconne

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 07:18 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default Anyone ever disconne

Newer stangs use the vehicle speed sensor to control the odometer, cruise, help with shifting and fuel curve in an AT. The purpose of this question is concerning the odometer, disconnecting thevss would keep the odometer from registering any speed or racking up mileage. In addition, it would also disable the cruise control and in a MT I am thinking thats all it would do. So after thinking about this I say to myself... self... would this be a good idea?</P>

And reguardless If I do it or not, or if you believe it is right or not, have you ever done it or know anything about it? Sure, Im can climb under the car and just disconnect it, but I dont feel like it right now and figured it would be a good question to ask.</P>

Also, anyone know if the mileage is stored in the CPU or the dash... I know its displayed in the dash but not sure where its stored. Im referring to a 2002 btw.</P>

...Food for thought. Don't bash me about right or wrong, this could help potential buyers from being scammed too, so lets talk it up!</P>
Old 09-09-2003, 09:05 PM
speedlab

i have a 98 gt with a manual, and i have my vss disconnected because i was sold a 99 and up trans that has a magnetic pickup instead of a drive gear, but the car runs great.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:38 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

has no one else ever thought of this&gt;?
Old 09-11-2003, 07:44 PM
gdear66
2nd Gear Member

I don't know if it would have any impact on the tranny or not. It is possible though that disconnecting it could shut the car down. I mean turning off the odometer would really screw with any used car buyers, including the dealers. Does the vss have any input to the fuel ump? Heck, give it a try. What's the worst that could happen? You might have to reboot the cpu?
Old 09-11-2003, 07:50 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

The advice I got today was, on a MT, I would lose cruise control, odometer, speedometer, and may experience occasional stalling... but other than that drivability wouldnt be effected.</P>

I have learned of a company that will reset your odometer to whatever you want for 200.00 + release of liability. Not bad eh?Not that I am sayingI would ever do such a thing *winks*</P>

Strictly for cosmetic purposes of course, I doubt this car would ever be sold or traded. When the motor goes, in goes a 460 (so I plan).</P>