4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine combo

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:04 PM
paynecasey69
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Engine combo

I really feel like I'm at the worst site for advice. Tell me, can you get 450 hp with PI heads without using full race ports, race only cam? probably not, and Patriot heads are junk. With tons of threads about complaints on them.

If you fully port PI heads the most CFM out of the intake is 230 ish. If you fully port the FRPP heads you can see up to around 260 to 280 cfm intake. PI are crap compared to FRPP heads.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:20 PM
paynecasey69
1st Gear Member

Does anyone at least know an experience FRPP head porter?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:41 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paynecasey69

I really feel like I'm at the worst site for advice. Tell me, can you get 450 hp with PI heads without using full race ports, race only cam? probably not, and Patriot heads are junk. With tons of threads about complaints on them.

If you fully port PI heads the most CFM out of the intake is 230 ish. If you fully port the FRPP heads you can see up to around 260 to 280 cfm intake. PI are crap compared to FRPP heads.
if you get to 350WHP on a 4.6 2Valve, without using any sort of forced induction (including nitrous) consider yourself lucky.

as for getting 450HP?? you definetly are new... you push 450 hp there is no doubt youre running forced induction, the 2 valves dont breathe enough to get there N/A. sounds like maybe you should think about swapping in a 4valve motor than a built N/A high compression 2 valve. just my $.02
Old 08-29-2007, 03:43 PM
bigjohnson4.6gt
2nd Gear Member

calm down here, this site is one of the best for mustangs, were just a little confused on what you are saying, just to let you know a complete PI swap will land you around 65 more horsepower with the heads, the PI heads are not junk as though it does raise the compression of the motor, but if your running a blower you would want to stay with the npi heads for the low compression, just have them ported and polished then add a blower cam to them, what do you mean blower intake?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:49 PM
paynecasey69
1st Gear Member

It sounds hard to believe that folks at VT engines and MMR (Modular Mustang Racing) have both past the 450 hp mark at the flywheel. I believe one touched 500 hp. Of course it was a full on race built motor and no where near daily drivable. But yes my goal is around 420 NA 2v hp. Using PnP FRPP parts.

PS I wouldn't rely on my post countfrom this site as an indicator of what I know about Modulars. Don't get me wrong I'm not a mechanic either.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:54 PM
paynecasey69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigjohnson4.6gt

calm down here, this site is one of the best for mustangs, were just a little confused on what you are saying, just to let you know a complete PI swap will land you around 65 more horsepower with the heads, the PI heads are not junk as though it does raise the compression of the motor, but if your running a blower you would want to stay with the npi heads for the low compression, just have them ported and polished then add a blower cam to them, what do you mean blower intake?
Ah, I shouldn't have called them junk. But as far as 2v heads: FRPP > PI > Npi as far as cfm's.
Ford sells an intake based supercharger that fits on 96-98 GT's. Personally, I'd rather stay NA.

I've read lots of reports on how it's the PI intake and PI Cam that make the 99+ Mustangs shine. The jump you recieve in slapping the PI heads on is the compression increase to 10.3:1 bumping up 10 hp on average. The Intake and PI cams are doing the other big gain.

I shouldn't have gotten upset because people were praising PI heads as the golden 2v head. Just seamed ill informed.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:00 PM
bigjohnson4.6gt
2nd Gear Member

ok, have you checked this website out www.powerheads.com, they got a pi swap that will give you around 110rwhp, theres a guy on a different forum that did this and got great results, then they got blocks with forged internals and alot of other stuff, check it out if your going to stay n/a, they got good prices too
Old 08-29-2007, 04:03 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

It sounds hard to believe that folks at VT engines and MMR (Modular Mustang Racing) have both past the 450 hp mark at the flywheel. I believe one touched 500 hp. Of course it was a full on race built motor and no where near daily drivable. But yes my goal is around 420 NA 2v hp. Using PnP FRPP parts.

PS I wouldn't rely on my post countfrom this site as an indicator of what I know about Modulars. Don't get me wrong I'm not a mechanic either.
450 - 500 hp... this will be with forced induction and/or race fuel. i just dont see 420-450 on a N/A 2v motor that is DD for around 9,000 bucks.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:22 PM
mfj
Banned

Engine Combination idea [/align]

[hr]

I've been throwing in my head the idea of a particular engine. But I don't know what kind of prices I'd face or who to buy from or whether to buy in parts in long block or custom crate motor form.

Here is the combo
5.0 big bore block (aluminum of course) with slightly better then factory internals (nothing fancy it would stay NA) and have a 10.3:1 compression or so
FRPP Heads that fit the 96-98 GT because i've read over and over how they are better then PI With a cam thats better then the 99+ PI cam. Possible a comp or something that will deliver power across the ENTIRE band.

Finished with the FRPP intake or the FRPP intake Blower.

This would be fore street use of course.

My guess is the bb block would be around 4,000
Heads 1,700
Intake 2,2000 or blower 3,000
fuel injectors 800
cam 600
Total $ 9,100 to 9,900 bucks for the complete block.

All this for well NA
70 hp for head and intake (Ford advertised)
25 hp cam (streetable and power across the rpms)
50 hp big bore (From what i've read 50 hp is obtained from a car with lots of bolt on's)
215 factory hp
30 hp in bolt on's already
415 possible flywheel hp with no porting Maybe a bit higher with proper tune and compression bump up.

This sound about right to you guys and who would even build it? Sounds a bit to expensive for a fun weekend car.

My car already has
FRPP shorty headers
o/r x pipe with mils
SLP loud mouth cat back
K/N FIPK
Underdrive pullies
as far as the motor is concerned and I drained the memory on my cars computer to try and get it to relearn the new parts.[/align][/align][/align]So what do you guys think? Price about accurate?[/align]

so y would u spend this much money for so little power??? and u can't just take the max peak hp gains from each mod, and add them all up. u will fallvery short from those numbers. just forge the bottom end, and spray some nitrous. or do a kennebell kit.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Mustang9668
2nd Gear Member

He's saying 420 hp at the flywheel which is definitely obtainable. I researched the SVO/FRPP heads and intake and they def. destroy PI heads.
I talked with Jim or Scott from VT Engines(I forgot which it was) and they told me that they had a big bore stroker car putting down 380 at the wheels with lightly ported svo heads, out of the box intake, and mild cams. And that car was daily drivable.PI heads and intake will never do this without some serious work.

Quick Reply: Engine combo