4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car won't drive properly with new H-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:25 PM
99MustangGT_UK

Default Car won't drive properly with new H-pipe

Grateful for any advice: I recently installed an off-road H-pipe with MIL eliminators on my '99 GT. Started it up, sounded great! Drove around for a few miles no problems at all. Then I seemed to lose power and ever since the car won't accelerate properly and I can't even get above about 45 mph. It's also goneunusually quiet.I've tried resetting the PCM but it's made no difference. I haven't got a SES light and nothing appears to beout of place.Please help!
Old 09-02-2007, 02:30 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Car won't drive properly with new H-pipe

if i remember correctly, you lose a lil lower end pwr because of the loss of cats = no back pressure.

but thats pretty odd that you cant go over 45mph after installing an OR H-Pipe.

did you make sure everything was in properly? 02 Sensors & MILs. also if you have an exhaust leak?
Old 09-02-2007, 02:49 PM
00blackstang
3rd Gear Member

not goin over 45........if u have an exhaust leak, thats oneeeee biggggggggg exhaust leak... any ticking noises comming from ur exhaust?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:01 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Check the connection and installation on your 02 sensors and MILs. Also check connection of the H-Pipe with the manifolds. If its leaking before the 02s then it might be throwing off your readings.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:22 PM
99MustangGT_UK

I can't find/feel/hear any exhaust leaks and the O2 sensors are all tight andplugged in OK. No ticking noises.Weird how it ran well at first. Would a small exhaust leak really cause that much ofa problem? I mean there is almost NO power, it takes a really long time to get up to 40-odd. It's also extremely quiet, I can hardly hear the exhaust noteat all on tick-over whereas it was pretty loud before. I've just disconnected the battery again and will leave it a couple of days, clutching at strawsin the hope of better-resetting the PCM. Any other ideas??
Old 09-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Pitt
2nd Gear Member

I dont know if this would cause a problem but did you make sure there was no packing material in the H-Pipe? Something clogging it up? If there is something clogging it up you can probably tell by the exhaust before the clog getting almost red hot. I doubt that is your problem though. When I installed my long tubes and full exhaust I had problems and it was the O2 sensors that went bad. The ECM wont throw an O2 sensor code until the 3rd consecutive failure. Try running the car for a few minutes then shut it off, and do this a couple more times and see if you get a CEL (check engine light). Or maybe you disconnected something else that has nothing to do with what you worked on, the O2 sensor harness goes connected to a bigger plug if I remember correctly, maybe when you pulled the O2 sensor harness, something else unplugged? Well good luck, I threw a bunch of stuff out there that you can try atleast.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:50 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

not trying to be a smarta$$ but did you put the mil eliminators on the back o2 sensors where there supposed to be or did you maybe accidently put them on the front ones.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: livefast1

not trying to be a smarta$$ but did you put the mil eliminators on the back o2 sensors where there supposed to be or did you maybe accidently put them on the front ones.
[/align][/align]Damned good thought! That would put the PCM in "limp mode"...[/align][/align]
Old 09-03-2007, 12:01 AM
MrChubs1
3rd Gear Member

Sure sounds like limp mode to me.

I knew somebody had to bring up the idea that maybe there's just not enough back pressure. LOL
Old 09-03-2007, 12:29 AM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

back pressure problems due to no cats = MYTH!

Quick Reply: Car won't drive properly with new H-pipe