Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
2KRedGT

Default Best Place to get an front end alignment?

I have never had a front end alignment on my car and it has over 105,000 miles on it. Where should I take it?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
2KRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1996 Mustang GT
BraMas
Default RE: Best Place to get an front end alignment?

Any tire store. Discount tire, Belle tire, Goodyear. Pep Boys. You could do Stealership also but they usually make you make an appointment a week in advance and charge double what everyone else does.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
2KRedGT

My Discount Tire store doesn't do alignments. I thought all tire places would do them!
2KRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Car_Ramrod

apparently a lot or maybe even all of the Discount Tire stores don't have the equipment for alignments. which i thought was ridiculous. a girl i know went there for new tires. and they sent her to midas for the alignment. you can take it pretty much anywhere though. i have lifetime alignments on firestone, even though they never totally get it right.

Vortech V2-SQ, BBK LT Headers, O/R H-Pipe, Bassani Catback, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, MGW Shifter, Eibach Prokit Springs, and more...

New #s: 356 rwhp, 373 rwtq
Car_Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Dan04COBRA

There area ton of alignment only shops in my area. You don't have any?

2004 GTO A4. 232/234 .595/.598 112lsa cam. ps lt's/springs/rockers/pushrods/no cats/original 40's. 350rwhp stock intake & paper filter. Next mods - 3600 stall/mvb/gears tbd/afr 205 heads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HTIzUUo_R0 Idle vid
10 CBR1000RR - Current
09 CBR600RR Phoenix - gone
04 Cobra - gone.
02 GT - gone.
Dan04COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Vehicle: 1967 Fastback & 2002 GT Convertible

A good front end man is a valuable asset.

Word of mouth is usually the best source for a good shop. Here locally, we have an old school tech that works for the Goodyear shop. He knows his stuff so that is where I go.

I took my 67 fastback to Tire Kingdom a couple years back to get an alignment and the kid working the rack DID NOT HAVE A CLUE as to how the underpinnings of a classic Mustang front end worked!When I told him I wanted it aligned to the Shelby drop specs, that really blew his mind.
I wound up giving him a block of instruction on how an older carfront end works.

It was seriously screwed up but by the time he / wewere finished it was OK. The manager was cool and didn't charge me a dime and thanked me for dropping the knowledge on the kid.

Lesson learned: WATCH THE TECH and make sure you feel comfortable that he knows what he is doing.

Governments are extremely dangerous.
Death, imprisonment, theft of property
and loss of freedom will result from
giving them too much power.
fastbackford351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

A good front end man is a valuable asset.

Word of mouth is usually the best source for a good shop. Here locally, we have an old school tech that works for the Goodyear shop. He knows his stuff so that is where I go.

I took my 67 fastback to Tire Kingdom a couple years back to get an alignment and the kid working the rack DID NOT HAVE A CLUE as to how the underpinnings of a classic Mustang front end worked!When I told him I wanted it aligned to the Shelby drop specs, that really blew his mind.
I wound up giving him a block of instruction on how an older carfront end works.

It was seriously screwed up but by the time he / wewere finished it was OK. The manager was cool and didn't charge me a dime and thanked me for dropping the knowledge on the kid.

Lesson learned: WATCH THE TECH and make sure you feel comfortable that he knows what he is doing.
Same thing happened to me a few years ago at one of those tire chain places.

I had to give the kid a math lesson, including drawing a number line to explain why -0.85 is NOT between -0.50 and 1.25

The sad part was the Hunter machine made it so simple. All he had to do was line up 2 rows of asteriks by turning the appropriate bolts.

Like this:

Not like this:

If the post gets screwed up, the first example has one row of ** directly on top of the other one.
The second example has them offset.

My advice is like the others have said, word of mouth and a shop that specializes in front end work.
A good tactic is to ask a top collision place who they use.
That's how I found the guy that now does my cars. He ain't cheap, but it's a hell of a lot less expensive than chewed up tires.

undecided.steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

We charge $80 for an alignment at my dealership. Most placed will charge between $60 - $80. Just make sure you get a print out after it's done.

Old Mustangs
89 LX hatchback white - 88 GT convertable black - 96 GT purple - 96 GT red
96GT226410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
mvr
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 01 GT
Send a message via AIM to mvr

i just got mine dont not to long ago, i actualy went to the ford dealerships quick lube place. i got my wheels rotated and balanced also at the same time so it was a bit more expensive.

!!VORTECH KIT FOR SALE!!
mvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
mfj
Banned

Vehicle: Just Another Stang
Send a message via AIM to mfj

ur local ford dealership
mfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
98, a4, alignment, alignments, audi, belle, charge, end, front, good, midas, place, places, tire, work