4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Proof you can get 400+ hp out of a 4.6 2v NA

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 PM
andy98gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Proof you can get 400+ hp out of a 4.6 2v NA

I'll be pushing more then 400 crank after winter! thanks to spray
Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

+$8,000 for the rear which will snap, a new tranny, wheels/tires to put it to the ground, and then all the suspension you'll need. After that you'll be set. Sounds great!
Dont really NEED a new tranny and rear end for just 400 crank horsepower, im putting down 420 rear wheel with a stock t45 and 8.8 no problems, and is holding up to abuse.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

sooo does that 10 g's come with areach around for that onehell of a horse fcukin???
Old 09-12-2007, 12:00 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

ORIGINAL: JayC

Also it's nothing unusual for Sean Hyland to make claims they can't back up. You go to any NMRA or FFW event and you won't see their junk running there
JayC and I are both pushing 400+ crank HP NA on stock long blocks
nitrous assisted
Sneaky [8D] But I am a mindful reader.

But yea man. 10K+ for a motor that makes 350-370 to the wheels.

Umm. No thanks.

Blower + Supporting Mods = 350+ for less than 3/4 that price.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:32 AM
JohnC76

Sean Hyland is way over priced! I'd rather let someone like John and Mike Tymensky at modular performance build be a nasty BB.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:48 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JayC

Also it's nothing unusual for Sean Hyland to make claims they can't back up. You go to any NMRA or FFW event and you won't see their junk running there
+1405 times 6,000,000

Old 09-12-2007, 02:57 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paynecasey69

Remember my old thread about the Engine combo? Here it is to jog some memory.
https://mustangforums.com/m_3763557/tm.htm

Here is one of many sites that offer 400 hp NA 2v GT's.
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/mustang-crate-engines.shtml

400 HP 4.6 SOHC
Part No. SHM2V400

4.6 cast iron block, filled with a forged steel crankshaft, forged rods and 9.6-1 compression forged pistons. Ported Pi cylinder heads are fitted with oversize stainless valves and high performance beehive valve springs. A pair of billet camshafts, ground with our hot street cam grind provide a broad powerband and the lopey idle of a hot rod engine, Billet fuel rails, polished billet throttle body and cast aluminum valve covers complete this engine package.
$10,995.00

And Guess what? Thats without a Big Bore Block. and without FRPP heads which our better then PI heads. Any questions?
With FRPP estimate another 30 hp, and with a big bore setup another 50 hp. Woot 480 hp 5.0 2v GT.
Your smoking SERIOUS crack if you think the FRPP heads and big bore setup are going to result in 80 horsepower... flywheel OR at the wheels. The big bore/stroker kits simply do not live up to their expectations, dammedsure no 50 horspower. And show me anybody that is acutally running the FRPP heads. I have yet to see any data whatsoever that says the FRPP heads are that much better than a ported PI2v head from almost any aftermarket company.

The power is simply not there. You are not going to make over about 340 WHP n/a on anything thats anywhere CLOSEto streetable. Ithink code3can vouch that even 340 WHP is unstreetablefor a DD in a 2v car.

The motor you posted WILL NOT make 400 horsepower, flywheel or at the tire. Its still got a stock PI intake, and its only rated at 9.6:1 compression... not anywhere close to the 350 WHP it would take to crack 400 at the fly.

Any 2v motor exceeding about 350ish WHP is going to have insanely wild cam profiles, massive head porting, and a custom short runner intake manifold... and this all adds up to ZERO low end TQ and a very very ****ty running setup until it starts to make RPM.

Why is everyone so horny over n/a 2v performance all of a sudden??? Its a freaking 281 ci engine people! I realise we have a certian forum member turning some good times (his initals are code3gt) but take into consideration just for a second all the other work thats done to the car (suspension, weight reduction, yadda yadda).

Take that 10K enginefrom Seanthat makes about 330 WHP and drop it into your average bolton stang and what do you have? you have a car thats still getting its *** handed to it by the average bolton only LS1... and thats not a postion I want to be in with 10K+ in the motor alone.

Its time to wake up to reality. You picked the wrong car for a n/a only setup.Its only 281 CIsetup with ****ty flowing headsthat even ported can't dream of flowing more than 250 CFM. You have limtied intakeoptions andnotrue aftermarket options for heads. Even that certian someone seems to have a big round bottle and some shiny silver lines plugged into the intake.....

If you want N/A performance you shoulda bought a LS1.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:46 AM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Ba-zing!!

NA stangs[:'(]
Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Frankly, the only point I see at "building the motor" is so you can either spray a bigger shot of nitrous or make more power FI. No doubt a better running n/a motor is a better running nitrous/FI motor... but if your just planning on staying n/a you might as well just go home IMO (at least for the money to results ratio it has).
Old 09-12-2007, 06:38 AM
paynecasey69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: paynecasey69

Remember my old thread about the Engine combo? Here it is to jog some memory.
https://mustangforums.com/m_3763557/tm.htm

Here is one of many sites that offer 400 hp NA 2v GT's.
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/mustang-crate-engines.shtml

400 HP 4.6 SOHC
Part No. SHM2V400

4.6 cast iron block, filled with a forged steel crankshaft, forged rods and 9.6-1 compression forged pistons. Ported Pi cylinder heads are fitted with oversize stainless valves and high performance beehive valve springs. A pair of billet camshafts, ground with our hot street cam grind provide a broad powerband and the lopey idle of a hot rod engine, Billet fuel rails, polished billet throttle body and cast aluminum valve covers complete this engine package.
$10,995.00

And Guess what? Thats without a Big Bore Block. and without FRPP heads which our better then PI heads. Any questions?
With FRPP estimate another 30 hp, and with a big bore setup another 50 hp. Woot 480 hp 5.0 2v GT.
Your smoking SERIOUS crack if you think the FRPP heads and big bore setup are going to result in 80 horsepower... flywheel OR at the wheels. The big bore/stroker kits simply do not live up to their expectations, dammedsure no 50 horspower. And show me anybody that is acutally running the FRPP heads. I have yet to see any data whatsoever that says the FRPP heads are that much better than a ported PI2v head from almost any aftermarket company.

The power is simply not there. You are not going to make over about 340 WHP n/a on anything thats anywhere CLOSEto streetable. Ithink code3can vouch that even 340 WHP is unstreetablefor a DD in a 2v car.

The motor you posted WILL NOT make 400 horsepower, flywheel or at the tire. Its still got a stock PI intake, and its only rated at 9.6:1 compression... not anywhere close to the 350 WHP it would take to crack 400 at the fly.

Any 2v motor exceeding about 350ish WHP is going to have insanely wild cam profiles, massive head porting, and a custom short runner intake manifold... and this all adds up to ZERO low end TQ and a very very ****ty running setup until it starts to make RPM.

Why is everyone so horny over n/a 2v performance all of a sudden??? Its a freaking 281 ci engine people! I realise we have a certian forum member turning some good times (his initals are code3gt) but take into consideration just for a second all the other work thats done to the car (suspension, weight reduction, yadda yadda).

Take that 10K enginefrom Seanthat makes about 330 WHP and drop it into your average bolton stang and what do you have? you have a car thats still getting its *** handed to it by the average bolton only LS1... and thats not a postion I want to be in with 10K+ in the motor alone.

Its time to wake up to reality. You picked the wrong car for a n/a only setup.Its only 281 CIsetup with ****ty flowing headsthat even ported can't dream of flowing more than 250 CFM. You have limtied intakeoptions andnotrue aftermarket options for heads. Even that certian someone seems to have a big round bottle and some shiny silver lines plugged into the intake.....

If you want N/A performance you shoulda bought a LS1.
Visit Modular d e p o t . com and look for Scott@VTengines. He's a poster their. He's built a block with FRPP heads NA producing 420 hp without a port and polish, and it was streetable. Ask Scott, he's an engine builder.

Scots sig by the way.
Quickest and Fastest N/A Modular
9.205 @ 146.30....off the trailer

http://forums.modulardepot.com/4-6l-...some-data.html
BigBore making 29rwhp on a stock motor. Fully built motor would surely be better. 29rwhp translates into 35 flywheel hp. I'm sure with a heavly modded car it would show results of 40 rwhp resulting in the 50 hp I claimed it could do.

People complain about 10k motors, however if you build a long block for 4k then buy a 4 to 5k blower your back at 9k in price. Sure a built motor and blower will result in 600+ hp. But thats useless on the street. NA setup for weeked driving, you can't beat instant throttle response of a NA motor. Thats why its cool.

And yes FRPP heads are just that much better then PI heads. PI heads fully ported are what at the intake? 230 cfm? While FRPP heads can touch 260 cfm and rumored someone ported one to 280 cfm. I believe that means it out flows the PI heads very well, and since motors are air pumps it means its better.
250 max cfm comment. Ported 3v heads are good for 260 cfm's. 4v heads what 300 cfm's?

Modular Mustang Racing MMR and VTengines have both maded 500 hp NA motors.

Some people like blowers, some people have goals of power NA style. Don't get me wrong I love blowers, but NA is just cooler to me.

Take this car as an example. Parnellijones Mustang GT NA 400 hp 5.0 DOHC emissions friendly car. If you could afford it, how much more power do you think you could get out of it with better or more bolt on's?450 hp? I'd rather own this then a GT500, Roush Stage 3 or 427-R. Except for maybe the Steeda Q400 thats a nice ride even if it is blown.
http://www.saleen.com/saleen-parnellijones.htm

Lastly, if you have 330 rwhp and are getting beat by heavier LS1 cars with general mods you need to learn how to race. A fully bolt on LS1 with cam drop around 400 rwhp. That would be hard to beat but remember the weight advantage.

Quick Reply: Proof you can get 400+ hp out of a 4.6 2v NA