4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Proof you can get 400+ hp out of a 4.6 2v NA

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:02 AM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Proof you can get 400+ hp out of a 4.6 2v NA

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

dude are you serious? i respect the fact that you like n/a cars. hey i luv em too. but honesty man, dont make comments about stuff you have no clue about. a n/a build on a 4.6 will cost way more than a FI car with forged internals. ask code how much money he spent to get his car to 350rwhp!!!!

+and the long lasting motor part, i know people with 60k+ on their blower cars making 400+ and havent had the first problem. ive almost got 12k on mine and still get 20+mpg and could spank every n/a 2v in my old car club. if you want a n/a 4.6 thats gonna get spanked by the average blower car, be my guest, but dont come in here complaining when your sick of drivin it everyday, and its slow. cuz ima say I TOLD YOU SO. The sad thing is, you could bring your n/a 4.6 and im sure that myself and most of the blower cars on this thread would spank you, and while your goin to fill up your 5mpg dog, well be cruising with the ac on listening to the radio!!!!!

a few of your recent posts suggest that you are wanting a n/a 4.6 for the sound. why dont you just add a cam?
HAHA. Where do I need to bring my car to, for you to show me this? I've said it 10 times in this thread, but I "spanked"(as you called it) 6 out of 10 blown 2v's on that "Official timeslip list" And no it's not just about suspension work(I have VERY little). I out trapped 8 out of 10 of the above mentioned cars. So that idea didn't really work.

I've got 18+ mpg on many road trips, and have never seen anything less than 15 on the street, including tanks where I went to the track. My A/C works just as good as yours, and so does my radio? Not sure what that has to do with anything, so please explain.

It sounded to me like he meant that BUILT like REALLY BUILT cars would get bad gas mileage, which is true. A 500 n/a car would get worse than a 300 hp car with a 200 shot. by the way you have, beaten blown cars, but thats not necesarilly to say that its just due to more power or whatever you're gettin at. i know my best is like a low 8 (8.2 or .1 or somethin) with a 1.8 60' and i trapped 88 mph. I have a whopping 5 grand in my motor, and a set of mickey thompson ET streets on the back. F/I is just the cheaper, route. but its also a pain in my opinion, like for example just last friday i somehow managed to tear a hole in one of my couplers resulting in a loss of 2 psi of boost and i couldnt break a 8.54! its all in what ya like!
Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 AM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

yea i looked at one of my timeslips and i ran 8.11 @ 88.21 mph with a 1.86 60'
Old 09-14-2007, 02:20 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

I didn't say it was b/c of more power. He just said he would "smoke" all N/A 2v's and I was just throwing that out there.

P.S. You've got my best time by .05 seconds. And I've since then made some adjustments and out trapped you also. 8.20@88.988 last time I was out to be exact. With VERY similar 60ft's as yours.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:06 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paynecasey69

Wheres the link to anything showing 260 CFM? And who cares anyway?? it still sucks. Your talking about a CFM rating that a stock LS1 head dammed near reaches.
and the sad thing is hell still be gettin beat by bolt on camaros that probaly have 1400+ in mods, and him with 15k in mods. pretty sad i think.
Is this thread full of babling race junkies? Have I not already said their is always someone faster. Hell guess what take anyone stang on this site and it will probably get spanked by a Hennessy Viper Twin turbo 1000. But who cares. Its for the street to have fun in. You guys sound like tree hugging hippies.

"Mmm yes, Ihave500 hp at the wheels all blowerwith my a/c and tea, and toast can still come along. ah silly na guy wasting gasoline."
Talk about sissies.

Personally, I would not want an extreame port job. Because it will lose to much bottom end for my taste. What a really close idea to my motor idea plus or minus the parts?
http://www.mre-books.com/sa82/sa82_14.html
Things to notice about this motor.
It doesn't have:
Long tube headers, its sporting shorties

Whats stock:
Plenum is stock
Intake is stock
Short Block

Whats mild:
Cam profile, its the weakest 2v cam SHM sells
Do not know the degree of port work, assuming mild

Personally, Magnaflow is a wash too. Its SLP or FRPP exhaust for me.

So this STREETABLE motor produces:
Horsepower: 345 @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 355 ft-lb @ 4700 rpm
Fuel: 91-octane premium

Add a big bore block 50 hp
Better intake 25 hp
Plenum Accufab 10 hp
Next level up cam 10 hp maybe

Stage 2
Good low end, improved mid range, stock ECU, PI head
By gollie and its still tame. And 345 hp + 50 + 25 + 10 + 10 = What don't say it, 440 reliable hp. Perhaps bump up the compression a tad and tune it to 93 octane. That thats conservative math.

What to get real Conservative? 345 hp + 30 (which i've seen dyno results of 29rwhp on a stock motor)+15(Switching to a PI intake results in 15 rwhp by itself but hey will say it only gets15 fwhp)+ 5 hp (Modular depot haswrite up's of 10 hp results rwhp on stock cars)+ 5 hp cam though they all vary. 345+ 30+ 15 + 5+ 5 = 400 flywheel hp. STREETABLE. Worst case senario the block will make 400 fwhp and be streetable. And though its NA I never said I didn't like the juice and it has a built motor to handle it.

I don't want to hear anymore cries about FI either. This thread was not to debate about the two it was about NA power only. So if any comments about FI come to mind. Just make another thread. Maybe even pm me some time and I'll adobe photo shop you a crutch so you can place it by your signature comments of your blower.
You need to pull your head out of your books (and your ***) and start listening to what people are saying. You will NOT make that kind of power on a mild setup, and you are still ignoring the issue of WHP to flywheel horsepower.

Sean Hyland is full of ****. The motor you posted earlyer in this thread doesn't have a PRAYER of making what he says its going to make. 400 to the fly with stock intake, weak cams/port job and 9.6:1 cr? I don't think so. He has been full of it for years, everyone but you apparently knows this....

Heres the entire point of the thread and FI being mentioned: It MIGHT be possible, with a ALL OUT race only setup, to make 400 WHP in a 2v GT. Maybe probably not but maybe. If it happens, you CANNOT take it out on the street and drive it (well maybe once). its going to idle like ****, have zero low end torque, crap for MPG, and just generally suck at driving around town.

So why would you want to? Unless your running a shop showcasing parts, or you just have more money than god and want to spend it all, why do it? Your going about it the hard way, its going to be totally useless on the street, and its still ONLY FOUR HUNDRED WHEEL HORSEPOWER. Your going to just barely make about the same as a properly setup bolton/blower car... for almost FOUR TIMES the expense.

400 WHP isn't ****. Just ask me... thats what I am currently making (well 420) and it just isn't enough in a full weight/stock style suspension car. Your talking at best low 12s/high 11s, or in other words just enough to get beat by say a stock Z06 or viper, or run with a properly driven/tired/geared GT500. Your going to spend 15K+ on motor alone, plus god knows how much on the rest of the car (suspension, trans, rear, tires, wheels, etc etc etc) to run at best high 11s? WHY?

Answer this question: have you acutally been in a properly setup FI/nitrous car? You sound like you have absolutly no experence with this whatsoever, and that you don't have a general idea of what it feels like and how it runs. I think you have some sort of idea that 400 WHP in a n/a car feels better than 400 in a FI car... this is not true.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:09 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

I didn't say it was b/c of more power. He just said he would "smoke" all N/A 2v's and I was just throwing that out there.

P.S. You've got my best time by .05 seconds. And I've since then made some adjustments and out trapped you also. 8.20@88.988 last time I was out to be exact. With VERY similar 60ft's as yours.
have you ever had your car at the 1/4 track yet? I have a feeling your 1/8th mile traps might be on par with mild bolton/blower cars, but your 1/4 traps should be significantly lower. Having a good 60' and launch can definatly creep that 1/8th trap up, but the power level is going to show thru in the 1/4 trap with that 4th gear.

I don't doubt that your car runs pretty good n/a, but a 360+ WHP car should be showing you some serious tail when your off the juice by the end of the track. I know that if I get a crappy launchand he pulls outaheadit takes me a gear or two before I really start putting it on my buddys n/a bolton LS1... but once we get into 3rd/4th gear I start putting boats on him.

Edit: Whats your best 1/8th time/trap n/a ? You really need to hit up a 1/4 track and see what she can do... I don't trust the converters.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:59 AM
paynecasey69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

^ Why dont you ask someone whose already done it? You wont get those numbers at all. You're like a newb thinking every stated gain for 15hp actually adds up like that. Oh i have all the bolt ons i have 350hp at the engine according to what they say.
I posted conservative number when the parts were advertised 15 hp. I wrote down 5 or 10. Are you blind? Yes, I know how bolt on's work such things like exhaust are only good as their weakest link. Meaning if you have long tube headers. They won't be as beneficial on a stock car as they would be on a full bolt on, x pipe, performance exhaust, built motor setup. Because it was more of a bottleneck on the built car then it was on the stock one.
VTengines can build a daily drivable 420 NA 2v. Do you think VTengines are newbs and liars? Worst case senario on a mild build up is around 400 flywheel hp streetable and you can't deny that. I just showed you a motor build from 4.6 liter engine book with 345 hp that was missing many better mods.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 AM
paynecasey69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Wheres the link to anything showing 260 CFM? And who cares anyway?? it still sucks. Your talking about a CFM rating that a stock LS1 head dammed near reaches.
and the sad thing is hell still be gettin beat by bolt on camaros that probaly have 1400+ in mods, and him with 15k in mods. pretty sad i think.
Is this thread full of babling race junkies? Have I not already said their is always someone faster. Hell guess what take anyone stang on this site and it will probably get spanked by a Hennessy Viper Twin turbo 1000. But who cares. Its for the street to have fun in. You guys sound like tree hugging hippies.

"Mmm yes, Ihave500 hp at the wheels all blowerwith my a/c and tea, and toast can still come along. ah silly na guy wasting gasoline."
Talk about sissies.

Personally, I would not want an extreame port job. Because it will lose to much bottom end for my taste. What a really close idea to my motor idea plus or minus the parts?
http://www.mre-books.com/sa82/sa82_14.html
Things to notice about this motor.
It doesn't have:
Long tube headers, its sporting shorties

Whats stock:
Plenum is stock
Intake is stock
Short Block

Whats mild:
Cam profile, its the weakest 2v cam SHM sells
Do not know the degree of port work, assuming mild

Personally, Magnaflow is a wash too. Its SLP or FRPP exhaust for me.

So this STREETABLE motor produces:
Horsepower: 345 @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 355 ft-lb @ 4700 rpm
Fuel: 91-octane premium

Add a big bore block 50 hp
Better intake 25 hp
Plenum Accufab 10 hp
Next level up cam 10 hp maybe

Stage 2
Good low end, improved mid range, stock ECU, PI head
By gollie and its still tame. And 345 hp + 50 + 25 + 10 + 10 = What don't say it, 440 reliable hp. Perhaps bump up the compression a tad and tune it to 93 octane. That thats conservative math.

What to get real Conservative? 345 hp + 30 (which i've seen dyno results of 29rwhp on a stock motor)+15(Switching to a PI intake results in 15 rwhp by itself but hey will say it only gets15 fwhp)+ 5 hp (Modular depot haswrite up's of 10 hp results rwhp on stock cars)+ 5 hp cam though they all vary. 345+ 30+ 15 + 5+ 5 = 400 flywheel hp. STREETABLE. Worst case senario the block will make 400 fwhp and be streetable. And though its NA I never said I didn't like the juice and it has a built motor to handle it.

I don't want to hear anymore cries about FI either. This thread was not to debate about the two it was about NA power only. So if any comments about FI come to mind. Just make another thread. Maybe even pm me some time and I'll adobe photo shop you a crutch so you can place it by your signature comments of your blower.
You need to pull your head out of your books (and your ***) and start listening to what people are saying. You will NOT make that kind of power on a mild setup, and you are still ignoring the issue of WHP to flywheel horsepower.

Sean Hyland is full of ****. The motor you posted earlyer in this thread doesn't have a PRAYER of making what he says its going to make. 400 to the fly with stock intake, weak cams/port job and 9.6:1 cr? I don't think so. He has been full of it for years, everyone but you apparently knows this....

Heres the entire point of the thread and FI being mentioned: It MIGHT be possible, with a ALL OUT race only setup, to make 400 WHP in a 2v GT. Maybe probably not but maybe. If it happens, you CANNOT take it out on the street and drive it (well maybe once). its going to idle like ****, have zero low end torque, crap for MPG, and just generally suck at driving around town.

So why would you want to? Unless your running a shop showcasing parts, or you just have more money than god and want to spend it all, why do it? Your going about it the hard way, its going to be totally useless on the street, and its still ONLY FOUR HUNDRED WHEEL HORSEPOWER. Your going to just barely make about the same as a properly setup bolton/blower car... for almost FOUR TIMES the expense.

400 WHP isn't ****. Just ask me... thats what I am currently making (well 420) and it just isn't enough in a full weight/stock style suspension car. Your talking at best low 12s/high 11s, or in other words just enough to get beat by say a stock Z06 or viper, or run with a properly driven/tired/geared GT500. Your going to spend 15K+ on motor alone, plus god knows how much on the rest of the car (suspension, trans, rear, tires, wheels, etc etc etc) to run at best high 11s? WHY?

Answer this question: have you acutally been in a properly setup FI/nitrous car? You sound like you have absolutly no experence with this whatsoever, and that you don't have a general idea of what it feels like and how it runs. I think you have some sort of idea that 400 WHP in a n/a car feels better than 400 in a FI car... this is not true.
I think its great, the fact that you love boosted cars. I love them too 2000GT4.6. I'm going to purchase a blown car built the right way stock. I plan on owning two Mustangs in the next couple of years. a 03/04 Cobra (My blown car) and a 2v GT at its best potential naturally aspirated. It's just something I'm wanting to do. I've researched how to build the best NA GT for over 2 years now maybe more. Understanding how to get more the most out of a blower is retarded because thats to easy since supercharged cars respond great to any bolt on's.

If we wanted to talk about wasting money for speed. Every Mustang owners should have bought a 1,200 cc crotch rocket for 15k and called it a day.

Their is a point where the NA car will not be as reliable on the street at the FI car but thats past the 420 hp mark. After that point yes, FI is much more reliably and easier to maintain. But, under 400 its anyone's ball game. Besides foxbody's sn95's are lightiest late model GT you can buy. That's why part of my project on the car will be lightweight based. No blower etc. Lighter K-member, lighter engine mounts etc etc, without taking away from the interior. Next thing you got a 3,000 lb 410 Mustang GT to drive to car events in, or take my wife to O'Charles. Boosting is the norm, and I like being different.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

^ Why dont you ask someone whose already done it? You wont get those numbers at all. You're like a newb thinking every stated gain for 15hp actually adds up like that. Oh i have all the bolt ons i have 350hp at the engine according to what they say.
I posted conservative number when the parts were advertised 15 hp. I wrote down 5 or 10. Are you blind? Yes, I know how bolt on's work such things like exhaust are only good as their weakest link. Meaning if you have long tube headers. They won't be as beneficial on a stock car as they would be on a full bolt on, x pipe, performance exhaust, built motor setup. Because it was more of a bottleneck on the built car then it was on the stock one.
VTengines can build a daily drivable 420 NA 2v. Do you think VTengines are newbs and liars? Worst case senario on a mild build up is around 400 flywheel hp streetable and you can't deny that. I just showed you a motor build from 4.6 liter engine book with 345 hp that was missing many better mods.

You just dont get it.... code3gt, hasa built NA VT engine..talks with them personally and he thinks you're an idiot. Also stop talking about claimed HP, seriously it's bull ****. Find somene who can post actually dyno numbers along with their mods.

Here's a hint, search for code3gt also notice that he's about 50 whp away from 400. He has a **** ton of money into his... more than you're talking about, from VT.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Cowboy88
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

sooo does that 10 g's come with areach around for that onehell of a horse fcukin???
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 AM
paynecasey69
1st Gear Member

You just dont get it.... code3gt, hasa built NA VT engine..talks with them personally and he thinks you're an idiot. Also stop talking about claimed HP, seriously it's bull ****. Find somene who can post actually dyno numbers along with their mods.

Here's a hint, search for code3gt also notice that he's about 50 whp away from 400. He has a **** ton of money into his... more than you're talking about, from VT.
Hey genius, he's running a PI head setup. I'm wanting to run an SVO (FRPP) head setup which tops what he can do with PI. Did you miss that part of the conversation? PI < SVO lets not forget that. So what ever he I'll do better.

Quick Reply: Proof you can get 400+ hp out of a 4.6 2v NA