4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Proof you can get 400+ hp out of a 4.6 2v NA

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 PM
mfj
Banned

Default RE: Proof you can get 400+ hp out of a 4.6 2v NA

13.5:1 compression needs race gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like i said!!!its not a practical street car!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 PM
mfj
Banned

reading adverstisements from sean hyland, u call that research??
Old 09-14-2007, 12:25 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

My car just put down 334rwhp and 347rwtq on a Mustang Dyno. The car was built primarily for drag racing. I really didn't want a big bore set up, because I was set to see just how much I could squeeze out of the lil 281. I know Ken B's car...it was the inspiration for my build way back when.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:25 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paynecasey69

ORIGINAL: code3GT

I still don't the point I have posted has been addressed. Why are we so focused on HP at the crank? Power to the wheels is what counts. As I have said before there IS NO WAY, a 420RWHP 2V is possible, let alone streetable. Now, when it comes to SHM...most people know that I am not a fan of them nor do I believe anyone's claim of HP, no matter who they are.

The best you can do, is make a plan and build it. Dyno and HP #'s mean nothing without having the times to back it up. I know better than anyone about building a high HP motor and not being able to back it up with good times. It has taken me some time to learn what works and what doesn't.
I respect what you've done in the 2v NA area. But what you have to remember is your running and studying PI head based performance. Call VTegines or MMR or MHR can't remember. 2 out of 3 of those have built 500 hp 2v NA motors with translates into 420 rwhp cars. While you have the time put into your car and building it, I've obviously gone further in studing heads. I bet you have scratched the surface of studying SVO FRPP heads. Maybe I'm wrong but don't car.

My goal is around 350 rwhp streetable. And it can be done. I think I'll end up following you using the juice as well.
I know Jim and Scott from VT well. I would like to see these 420rwhp 2V cars. So let's see them. It's been awhile since I have done any research on builds, so if they are out there...post them up. I am curious as to their set ups.
Since, you have a nicely setup NA. I have some questions.
1.) What kind of short block are you running? Is it 4.6 or is it a bored 5.0?
2.) Are you using PI heads or FRPP heads?
3.) What intake did you go with?
4.6 bored .020 over (283cid)
VT Stage 3 heads with Ferrea valves
Fox Lake Racing ported P51 intake

My motor is a high compression motor originally built by VT. I just had it rebuilt by Texas Hot Rods and went from 11.25:1 compression 5cc pistons to 13.5:1 compression flat tops. My cams are Crower Stage 3's with Manley high lift valve springs.
Was your goal for drag racing setup? that doesn't sound streetable at at all. Looks like a great setup. And I love the P51 intake, what as the gain from porting it by the way?
What kind of power are you laying down?
Did you ever think about a bigbore block setup?That would push what ever you have up another 40 rwhp easy.
Personally, on my setup for the SVO heads I don't want to go further then a stage 1 port from anywhere? So that no bottem end is lost. Same with the cams.
I'm not sure of your of yourrwhp but KenB at Modular Depot made 377 rwhp on a 4.6 2v PI headed motor. Completely unstreetable of course. From what I've read 4.6 PI NA 2v's loose daily driving ability at around 330 rwhp maybe 350whp.

As for MFJ, I find my self to be someone that does their research before begining a project. Which is why finding guys like Code3GT is great. Their first hand experience is great to pull knowledge from. I have a baby coming in 1 month, and I'm finishing college in 4 months. Hell no I'm not knee deep in the project yet. But will be.
Jesus dude.. get off of this "bigbore" sh*t you read about 1 thing that supposedly can help you gain 40HP.. and you say to Code (who probably has the most built 2v on this forum) why doesnt he slap a big bore on it. Wtf. You cant just throw a whole bunch of mods onto these motors and add up the numbers... they have to compliment each other or you will have problems. Congrats on the baby.. welcome to the college graduate club... but from everything youve stated.. get a Mach 1 or Pre 03 Cobra if you want power staying N/A on a 281
Old 09-14-2007, 12:30 PM
paynecasey69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mfj

reading adverstisements from sean hyland, u call that research??
I was using them as an example, I don't like Sean Hyland either, over priced stuff they sell.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:32 PM
paynecasey69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

I still don't the point I have posted has been addressed. Why are we so focused on HP at the crank? Power to the wheels is what counts. As I have said before there IS NO WAY, a 420RWHP 2V is possible, let alone streetable. Now, when it comes to SHM...most people know that I am not a fan of them nor do I believe anyone's claim of HP, no matter who they are.

The best you can do, is make a plan and build it. Dyno and HP #'s mean nothing without having the times to back it up. I know better than anyone about building a high HP motor and not being able to back it up with good times. It has taken me some time to learn what works and what doesn't.
I respect what you've done in the 2v NA area. But what you have to remember is your running and studying PI head based performance. Call VTegines or MMR or MHR can't remember. 2 out of 3 of those have built 500 hp 2v NA motors with translates into 420 rwhp cars. While you have the time put into your car and building it, I've obviously gone further in studing heads. I bet you have scratched the surface of studying SVO FRPP heads. Maybe I'm wrong but don't car.

My goal is around 350 rwhp streetable. And it can be done. I think I'll end up following you using the juice as well.
I know Jim and Scott from VT well. I would like to see these 420rwhp 2V cars. So let's see them. It's been awhile since I have done any research on builds, so if they are out there...post them up. I am curious as to their set ups.
Since, you have a nicely setup NA. I have some questions.
1.) What kind of short block are you running? Is it 4.6 or is it a bored 5.0?
2.) Are you using PI heads or FRPP heads?
3.) What intake did you go with?
4.6 bored .020 over (283cid)
VT Stage 3 heads with Ferrea valves
Fox Lake Racing ported P51 intake

My motor is a high compression motor originally built by VT. I just had it rebuilt by Texas Hot Rods and went from 11.25:1 compression 5cc pistons to 13.5:1 compression flat tops. My cams are Crower Stage 3's with Manley high lift valve springs.
Was your goal for drag racing setup? that doesn't sound streetable at at all. Looks like a great setup. And I love the P51 intake, what as the gain from porting it by the way?
What kind of power are you laying down?
Did you ever think about a bigbore block setup?That would push what ever you have up another 40 rwhp easy.
Personally, on my setup for the SVO heads I don't want to go further then a stage 1 port from anywhere? So that no bottem end is lost. Same with the cams.
I'm not sure of your of yourrwhp but KenB at Modular Depot made 377 rwhp on a 4.6 2v PI headed motor. Completely unstreetable of course. From what I've read 4.6 PI NA 2v's loose daily driving ability at around 330 rwhp maybe 350whp.

As for MFJ, I find my self to be someone that does their research before begining a project. Which is why finding guys like Code3GT is great. Their first hand experience is great to pull knowledge from. I have a baby coming in 1 month, and I'm finishing college in 4 months. Hell no I'm not knee deep in the project yet. But will be.
Jesus dude.. get off of this "bigbore" sh*t you read about 1 thing that supposedly can help you gain 40HP.. and you say to Code (who probably has the most built 2v on this forum) why doesnt he slap a big bore on it. Wtf. You cant just throw a whole bunch of mods onto these motors and add up the numbers... they have to compliment each other or you will have problems. Congrats on the baby.. welcome to the college graduate club... but from everything youve stated.. get a Mach 1 or Pre 03 Cobra if you want power staying N/A on a 281
Forgive me oh high and powerful servant of Cod3GT,I didn't know in Mustang forums I had to go through you're approval to ask someone a question. Geeze get off the thrown.

And where did you get lost on the part where you missed thecomment where I said I was dead set on NA and didn't care about boost?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:40 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

[/quote]
Forgive me oh high and powerful servant of Cod3GT,I didn't know in Mustang forums I had to go through you're approval to ask someone a question. Geeze get off the thrown.

And where did you get lost on the part where you missed thecomment where I said I was dead set on NA and didn't care about boost?
[/quote]

Im not a servant of Code, its called respect due to having a common interest. Youre a ****in idiot.. that is really apparant now.. a Mach 1 and Pre 03 Cobra motor are straight N/A but they have twice as many valves meaning any bolt-on+ head+ cam work will net you significantly higher gains. It was a suggestion i made since you want to stay N/A. I never said you needed my approval to ask someone a question, nor did I imply it. So stop playing a victim on here cause you made an *** out of yourself, rub some vagisil where its sore.. and stfu [sm=icon_flaming.gif]
Old 09-14-2007, 12:42 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Is this thread done? Anyhoo, good luck with whatever you decide on your build.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:37 PM
paynecasey69
1st Gear Member

Is this thread done? Anyhoo, good luck with whatever you decide on your build.
Thanks Code3GT
Old 09-14-2007, 01:45 PM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

yea i looked at one of my timeslips and i ran 8.11 @ 88.21 mph with a 1.86 60'
I didn't say it was b/c of more power. He just said he would "smoke" all N/A 2v's and I was just throwing that out there.

P.S. You've got my best time by .05 seconds. And I've since then made some adjustments and out trapped you also. 8.20@88.988 last time I was out to be exact. With VERY similar 60ft's as yours.
Dont get me wrong your car is awesome and fast, but i have ZERO suspension work. lowering springs which made my launching worse obviously and subframes, other than that zero. But what i was gettin at is how much did it cost you to make your car do that N/A?

Quick Reply: Proof you can get 400+ hp out of a 4.6 2v NA