4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

underdrive pulleys question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 04:18 PM
auraforce

Default underdrive pulleys question

fellas,

are underdrive pulleys really worth getting. Do they actually help? are they hard to install. what pulleys can you guys recommend? also, what belt(s) would i need?

thanx boyz
Old 02-16-2005, 04:21 PM
WHT00GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: underdrive pulleys question

i am not trying to be a smartass, but if you did a search, i bet you could find abot 100 posts that will answer any question you have about pullies.

to answer your question, i would go with steeda, yes they do help a little, and if you have the right tools and know what you are doing, its not hard at all to install.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:37 PM
OUZBnd
3rd Gear Member

My undrives seemed like a decent install for the money. It was similar to the gain you would get by "turning off your A/C" I purchased March, steeda's are also good. I reccommend getting a brand that have the damper pulley built in to the crank. As for the install, its pretty simple. The stock belt will work just fine with the new pulleys.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:42 AM
redstanger
3rd Gear Member

well i just bought a water pump pulley out of a kit for like 20 bucks on ebay. Its one of the main power adders in a underdrive kit. Cheap power but it does free up a little horses at the above 4grand.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:24 AM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

I had BBks on my 04 and did not notice anything. My friend has Steeda ones however and there is a little bit of difference. I would say go with the Steedas.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:10 AM
auraforce

i know your right, i should have ran a search first. but then i wouldnt have had the pleasure of talking with you.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:13 AM
WHT00GT
3rd Gear Member

thats cool... i was giving you another option to find out more info on them if you didn't get enough in this thread.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

I went with March on my '98 GT. They really do help the engine pull stronger and I haven't had any issues with my alternator charging or air conditioning not functioning 100%. All has been fine since the get go. The only change they have made recently that was not available at the time I installed the underdrive pulleys is the one-piece lower pulley. I suggest you get that version. I have the more common "piggy back" version that bolts onto your original part. Never have had an issue with this set-up but a single part is preferred if you have a choice. March makes reliable parts and has been doing it for quite some time. Check out www.mustangsunlimited.com and www.brothersperformance.com. They both have a hugh variety of Mustang parts. Also be sure to put a new Ford serpentine belt on the engine when installing underdrive pulleys. You should be able to use the standard size belt as the sum of the changes in the new underdrive pulleys equals the same travel length as the original pulleys.

Good luck with your ride!
Old 02-18-2005, 12:04 AM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

I would like to underdrive as well my 98 GT but I would like the polished aluminum finish. Anybody recomend a brand that makes this kind? March/Steeda?
Old 02-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Vizaracer
2nd Gear Member

i want the polished ones also but i can only find out that March makes them. march makes a great pulley, i just want to go with steeda pulleys instead of marches.

Quick Reply: underdrive pulleys question