4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Winter Drivability

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:38 PM
sn0border88

Default Winter Drivability

Ive lurked on here for some time now, and am considering buying a 99-04 GT. I live in PA and while the winter isnt bad, its not good. We usually get a few (3-4) amounts of snow over 4" per winter, and that decreases every year. Roads are commonly icy in the usual spots but the main roads are usually well taken care of. I work at a ski resort so I need to make a 14 mile drive every day during the winter months. I have talked to a guy I know who has had 2 94-98 stangs and said the only thing he didnt like is that he cannot drive it in the winter, its just terrible.

basically, any guys around here use their stang in the winter? Have any problems getting around?
Old 07-15-2006, 08:43 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Winter Drivability

I'm in MD and I drive mine all winter long. However, I don't have to negotiate any hills to speak of. FWD is better at that sort of thing, or better yet, 4WD/AWD.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

I live in northern CT. Personally I think they're terrible in the snow, dangerous actually. Some people here will tell you that the snow tire/sand bag combo and smart driving make it possible. Ive never done that so I can't comment. But I can say on normal tires its definately not a good idea.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:46 PM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

First off, I'm in Central California so I don't worry about snow. What we do get is rain. Rain, no problem. Snow, I'd keep my car parked. If I worked at a ski resort, one of the last cars I'd buy would be a rear wheel drive car. Get a 4x4 or look into an all-wheel drive car. JMO

[sm=gears.gif]
Old 07-15-2006, 08:51 PM
sn0border88

I have a 4x4 explorer on 33's as my DD right now, so if worse comes to worse then I can drive that. My problem is that i want to make my X on offroad only vehicle, and take it off insurance. I want a stang but if they cant drive in the winter im gonna be lookin at an AWD audi or maybe a midsize truck. PA and MD winter weather is almost the same, CT get hammered compared to what we get down here. Thanks for the input but I guess I need advice from someone in similar conditions.

In reality the winter here is only from december to end of feb/beg of march. I would hate to not get one of my dream cars because of winter.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:04 PM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

I'm from Philadelphia and have driven a 93 lx 5.0 in the winter months. All I can say is driving those models in the winter was a definite challenge. Stopping distance must be increased. Concrete, kitty litter, bags of sand all should help a little with traction but after turning sideways more than once I realize that there is no shame in going slow. I've never had winter tires for the express purpose of driving during the winter months.
I now have a 02 gt and I'm wondering if the traction control will improve some of the wild tire spin the we have to endure.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:08 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

I drove my 03 gt nearly everyday last year in the winter. You have to buy winter tires, it's a must. I would suggest getting a seperate set of rims and tires. With the traction control and winter tires and safe driving, a stang in the winter isn't as bad as they say.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:22 PM
sn0border88

thats some good news, now I just need to figure out a way to squeeze 2 snowboards into it

Do the rear seats fold down to go through to the trunk? Or can I take them out and have access to it?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:29 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

The seats fold down, so the boards should fit.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:59 PM
torched04
2nd Gear Member

I live in pa and last winter i got caught in the snow and almost spun out twice. If it snows i stay home.. Funnier note i was driving home and an 4x4 was in a ditch and i drove past him and he gave me the wtf look. BUt def do not try it not worth it.... I am lookin at an contour svt as my dd.

Quick Reply: Winter Drivability