4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is my engine blown or what???? VID INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:31 AM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Default Is my engine blown or what???? VID INSIDE

9 months ago I started to have a slight ticking on decelleration.. That continued for a month or two, I took it to the dealer and they couldn't diagnose the problem without tearing the front end down.. They wanted to look at the tensioners. I drove it for another 2 months like that and the sound got worse.. It was too loud to drive it like it was so I parked it in the garage and only started it to move it in or out. Now I have the time and money to fix it and want to get started. But I refuse to tear it down and fix the wrong parts..My tapping noise is coming from right where the valve cover meets the front cover on the passenger side only..... Wouldn't a bearing noise be at the BOTTOM of the motor? Also the noise is about every other rotation of the crank...The engine has no vibration and doesn't smoke at all... It still has all the power it ever has other then the fact that it is running a little rich ans the idle lopes sometimes.. All things I assumed that would have happened from "timing" chain being loose.. The ford service deparment told me they didn't think it was bearings... I don't want to waste time and money replacing the tensioners if it is bearings,I need a soild answer here... Do I need a rebuild or not? 80k on the engine..

When the noise first started in january-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0tBoYw_Pow

The noise Yesterday-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sthHW4QDD08

A mustang with KNOWN bad bearings-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRPLN3nz_o

Can anyone verify the fate of my car? If I pull the oil pan to inspect the bearings does anyone know what I am looking for? Pictures of what might be a good bearings, and consequently bad bearings?

Thanks for the help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/57395/08B94E56A000457ABD45680F5B46A158.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-03-2007, 09:05 AM
thunder63cs

Default RE: Is my engine blown or what???? VID INSIDE

I would let the ford dealer ship replace the tentioners or at least pull the timing cover and see if you can see where the chain is rubbing against it. My 06 F150 had an issue simular with one 13k miles on it and it ended up being a peice of trash blocking the port to the passenger side of the motor but it gave a simular sound when the tentioners let the timing chain have slack.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:07 AM
kendiesel
2nd Gear Member

The same thing happen to me. The timing chain tensioner stuck and it jumped timing slamming the valves into the piston bending the valves and shattering 4 pistons. The worse part of it is that the motor only had 4500 miles on it.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Hey thats my car!! Haha. That doesn't sound like a spun bearing to me. The noise mine made was incredibly loud. Could bea tensioner...not sure... Long shot here, but did you check to make sure you didn't blow out a spark plug?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:14 AM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

I pulled all the plugs and inspected them. THey were all like new..
Old 11-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Go buy a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can isolate the noise to the front of the valve cover.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 AM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Iused a LONG thin flat head screwdriver and My wifes (nurse) stethoscope and it def- sounds like it is up at the top..
Old 11-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Could you pinpoint if it was in the front or back of the valve cover?

You should pop the valve cover off and make sure everything checks out and then consider pulling the front plate off. That's a distinct, strong noise. Nothing is going to make that much noise & not have any sort of visual damage so you don't have to replace various parts hoping and praying.

If you can, start the engine and start pulling the fuel injector plugs. See if you can isolate the noise by cancelling out each cylinder. Essentially, you'll silence them and it'll help you pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.

Don't forget to pull your battery wires afterward as you'll trip your CEL.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:21 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Front of the valve cover. What is a CEL?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Horarik
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GTFOOL

Front of the valve cover. What is a CEL?
Check Engine Light

Quick Reply: Is my engine blown or what???? VID INSIDE