4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

help me decide what to do with my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:18 AM
tmclaas
2nd Gear Member

Default help me decide what to do with my car

I have a 2002 saleen s-281. I am wanting to eventually push out 500-600 HP. I was originally thinking of selling my engine that is in the car and sticking a cobra engine in there. I could also just build a engine or maybe just build up the one i have. I would like to hear what people suggest and what price range i am looking at for the suggestions. Thanks

Tom
Old 11-04-2007, 12:27 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: help me decide what to do with my car

Well, if you want to buy a brand new motor I've heard good things about VT engines and MMR. Research those brands.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:26 AM
Black98GT
1st Gear Member

Well unfortunitly I can't seem to find the article on the internet but in the August 2007 issue of 5.0 mustang and super fords they did a few things to see what kind of power they could push out of the non-pi 2v motor. Including the full list of boltons short of underdrive pulleys they added a set of P&P heads flowing 226cfm at 0.600 intake and 209cfm exhaust at 0.600, to the heads they added a set of XE270AH Comp Cams, along with the standard PI intake, 19lb injectors, and electric water pump. With that they pushed the motor to around 401hp and 390lb-ft torque. They ended the article by adding a vortec to the motor and with a rev limiter set to 6,500rpm (10.9 psi and intercooled) , they made 648hp and 543 lb-ft torque. They claimed the motor was good for more then that but with it being a high mileage motor and the fact that it wasn't forged that that was the safest the motor would run without it blowing.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

hmm...im not sure i believe all of that about the non pi motor breaking 400. and def not sure about it going 650 without exploding. To the op, i think it would be easier if you could find a 03-04 cobra motor and swap that it. A pulley change makes a huge amount of power. The internals are already forged and the heads already flow really well.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 AM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

I always think it is funny when people just want a HP#.. What do you use the car for? If it is your daily driver then 500hp is rediculous.. I have owned several HIGH power cars including an M5 and a highly modded Rx-7 both were high HP #'s and were absolutely undriveable in poor weather and bumper to bumper traffic..

Search on Youtube for vids of cobras ..
Old 11-04-2007, 10:03 AM
tmclaas
2nd Gear Member

Why would a 2002 saleen be an everyday driver? How many people drive there saleens everyday? Know what i love is when people post things like that on here because you hve no idea what i want and if i didnt want those numbers i wouldent post it in here. thanks for your input though
Old 11-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

Well instead of one person saying that he thinks those HP numbers are useless for a daily driver, and then you coming back with "you dont know what i use the car for or what im trying to do". Why don't you instead tell everyone what exactly you are looking for out of the car? We could recomend you get such and such a motor with a huge turbo or 2 on it, but if you are autocrossing that would be a rediculous idea. Or we could recomend youdo something that would be impractical for whatever it is you are doing... HP numbers aren't the ONLY thing to mod for, unless you are building a dyno queen just for bragging rights.

So, with that said, If getting over 500hp is your one and only goal, no matter how you get there: I think the guy who mentioned dropping in an 03-04 cobra motor and playing with the boost is right on par to your quickest and easiest way to do it. But how is anyone supposed to suggest exactly how to do what you want if we don't know EXACTLY what you are doing with it? And if it is, in fact, just going to be a big numbered dyno queenthen I must say you are wasting a nice car
Old 11-04-2007, 01:46 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Why would a 2002 saleen be an everyday driver? How many people drive there saleens everyday? Know what i love is when people post things like that on here because you hve no idea what i want and if i didnt want those numbers i wouldent post it in here. thanks for your input though
If i had one id drive it everyday, unless its snowing. I drive mine just about everyday, not a fan of dumping a load of money in it so it can sit in a garage [&:]
Old 11-04-2007, 01:49 PM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uberstang1

If i had one id drive it everyday, unless its snowing. I drive mine just about everyday, not a fan of dumping a load of money in it so it can sit in a garage [&:]
+1
Old 11-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Black98GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Emanpimpster

hmm...im not sure i believe all of that about the non pi motor breaking 400. and def not sure about it going 650 without exploding. To the op, i think it would be easier if you could find a 03-04 cobra motor and swap that it. A pulley change makes a huge amount of power. The internals are already forged and the heads already flow really well.
Good thing about it is that you don't have to believe it... go by the August 2007 Issue of 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords and you can read it for yourself buck-o.

As for 500+ hp numbers on a dd, i work with a guy who owns a little foxbody thats putting down 10.5's in the quarter and he drives it everyday so where you might not drive a car with that much power doesn't mean someone else can't or won't drive it. Its all a matter of willpower and keeping ones lead foot out of it when not needed.

Look at it this way, if you build the motor you have then not only can you have a numbers matching saleen (like it matters much with newer cars these days) but finding the right parts for a motor swap can be a hassle as well as a money pit if you don't know what your getting into. Atleast with the stock motor you can keep a few of the older parts from the motor to reuse should you so choose too.

In the end man its not gonna matter what anyone on this forum tells you because you'll have the final say. Personally I will take pride when I get down the Stage II head and intake swap on my non-pi and get to smile as I'm taking down all the PI trash that lives around my area that think they are Gods gift to Fords.

Quick Reply: help me decide what to do with my car