Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

HOW TO: Fix the 4.6L GT Ticking noise...

Old 11-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #41
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT
Default RE: HOW TO: Fix the 4.6L GT Ticking noise...

Ladies and Gents, boys and Girls... I am back up on the road.. Out of fear for my engines life I removed the valve covers and timing chains and re-set the timing. I will outline the way I did it in another "HOW TO" thread.. At least that way I knew it was dead on. She purrs like a kitten and I can't believe how much I missed her..

Although I took the "cheap" route out of this I really do feel that a timing chain tensioner failure might as well be treated asan engine failure. There was so much aluminum shavings in the oilpan, ect that I know my passages are full.. I used compressed air to blow it back out and am just praying that the engine holds up. Really though a rebuild will be in my near future.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
2000 Mustang GT- K&N intake, Forza Exhaust, re-gear, 17x9 Bullitts, K-sport 2" lowering springs, grill delete, clear/smoke headlights, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Alpine CD w/eq/mach 460, 03 gt hood scoop, UPR billet camber adjustment plates.
2000GTFOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #42
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Really near future.... I was driving down the interstate and the Oil Pressure dropped to ZERO! The engine quickly made a Terrible screaching noise and shut down... It's over.. The car is dead........

I am pretty dissapointed, but now I get to figure out how to build it bigger and better. Hopefully this same time next yearI will be back on the road.. But I am going to completely redo the entire car, except for the interior. So I will pull the motor in december and get the car ready to paint.....

Thanks for all your help.
2000 Mustang GT- K&N intake, Forza Exhaust, re-gear, 17x9 Bullitts, K-sport 2" lowering springs, grill delete, clear/smoke headlights, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Alpine CD w/eq/mach 460, 03 gt hood scoop, UPR billet camber adjustment plates.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #43
2VNA
4th Gear Member

that's what that noise was, will that makes me feel better that it's not terminal, I think I will do cams and headers when I do mine next summer.
UDP, timing adjuster, LCA, sport springs, shock tower brace, JLT RAC, Trick flow 75mm & T-body, EGR spacer, Bassani X pipe, Flowmaster, 373, Granalli COP tips, chin strap spoiler, Cobra Y2K chrome 18X10.5, BFG G-Force, Grill delete kit, tint
2VNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #44
abe9090

Im sorry to hear about your ride, at least you got some experience repairing it and such. I had to pay to get my Ignition coil eplaced along with removing the entire plenum assembly just to get a tune up and service my car. I wish I knew how to fix them instead.
abe9090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #45
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 96 GT Vert 600rw (Gone)

Is this your DD while the mustangs out of commision?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #46
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 02 GT

wait so the noise wasnt the timing chain? the 2nd video you have it sounds pretty bad not like mine which is a slapping sound.....did you engine get shot cuz of the timing? or you spun a bearing

Best time to date - 60' - 1.8 1/8 - 8.1@85.1mph 1/4 - 12.7@106.8mph

2002 Mustang GT - Full intake (TB/plenum/cai), Full exhaust (LT headers/mid/catback), frpp 373s/31 spline, UPR tubular front end, stange 10 ways, upr coil overs, black interior swap, frpp alum. driveshaft, UDP, rear lower control arms, full length subframes, UPR torque boxes and more
cisurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #47
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

No it was the timing chain making the noise. I am not sure why the engine shut down the other night.. he car started fine last night.. OP was fine... I am going to pull the engine to clean it out and see what the heck is going on... I figure there is so much metal in the oil passages that it stopped flow.. The engine heated up and siezed, when it cooled down it started back up.... My theory...
Old 11-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #48
iamyourdaddy26
1st Gear Member

yeh my engine made that noise for a while then the main bearing went and i had some rod knock then i took it to the shop a little to late i had crand damage and needed a new connecting rod.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #49
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

why you have metal shavings not from thr front is it?

2002 Mustang GT - Full intake (TB/plenum/cai), Full exhaust (LT headers/mid/catback), frpp 373s/31 spline, UPR tubular front end, stange 10 ways, upr coil overs, black interior swap, frpp alum. driveshaft, UDP, rear lower control arms, full length subframes, UPR torque boxes and more
Old 11-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #50
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Yes check out the pictures. The timing chain ATE the aluminum guides and also filed down the tensioners themselves...
Old 11-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #51
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

damn i better check mine then cuz i dont want metal shavings in my pan making my bearings ****ed

Old 11-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #52
micheal0484
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Send a message via Yahoo to micheal0484

Well, I did this over the past two days, about 6 hours total. I have a 98 gt. Parts from autozone and ford dealership $170.00 rent harmonic balancer puller $16.00 autozone. Few things I did different. I removed front four bolts on the oil pan and left the others alone. I also loosened up the front 6 bolts per valve cover to gain clearance. pulled the cover off like that. It came off fine like this. My guides were fine, just the passenger side tensioner was bad. The driver side was fine. Also you do not have to worry about resetting the timing or keeping the cam or crank from moving because as along as the chain stays on the sprokets it can not rotate any further then it would with regular driving. Thats about it, running now and better then ever. Thanks for the write up.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #53
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

No problem man... Glad it worked out good... I let mine go way too long..
Old 11-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #54
Craiger77

Jesus, that sucks! This is definately something I'll be watching for.
Craiger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:52 AM   #55
JamnJM

Is there a way to lift the engine up to pull the oil pan and replace the oil pump while still in the car?

A little trick we do with our circle track racers on the oil pump is to cut V notches in the side of the sheet metal cover to allow more oil to the screen.

I'm looking at a '95 V6 Mustang in trade for a '85 VW Scirocco that I have and the Mustang has a tick to it too....? Same deal on 3.8's?
Old 12-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #56
97targa
5th Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Nice write up man. Have fun trying to put the timing cover back on with the valve covers all ready sitting there?

Just some advice anytime you have a problem like that it is more than likely a oil pressure problem that lead to the failure of the tenisioner (the opperate off of oil pressure) you should change out the oil pump while your in there.
Have you ever opened up ANY engine??? The oil pump is underneath the engine and you must pull the oil pan off to change it out! The oil pan doesn't have to come off for the timing chain install! Oil pressure could be from clogged screen. Oil pumps either work or they don't. There is no compression like cyliders that effect reliability.
Marvel Mystery oil for a few hundred miles or straight up Kerosene for a couple of days will clean any sludge that is restricting oil flow!
97targa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #57
crider4_6

Vehicle: 2000,Ford,mustang GT convert

i think this is my problem just started if u would can u call me or can i call u on this 417-396-9488 if i dont fix it i am gona put a new motor in next week it only takes 2 hours lol!!!! and 3,000 lol thanks ask for casey

perfosinal products plenum and tb 70mm plenum polished inside and out ,sct dyno tuned,242@5400rpm grenitelli coil packs ,24lbs inj
crider4_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #58
JamnJM

Since my last post, I have done some looking at these Mustangs.

You can disconnect the steering shaft, sway bar, calipers (brake lines may or not flex enough), maybe a few other things too, support the engine up top with a cross beam on the struts and then un bolt the K (engine frame) bolts and lower down with a floor jack to get the oil pan and pump off......
Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #59
fausty
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 Mustang Gt

2000 gt were are you at did u ever find out what was the problem?im still waiting so i could get some insight on how to fix mine

01 Mustang Gt 5spd/ -Flowmaster 40 series catback - o/r H- k&n -svt fuel pump-Nitto 555 D/R -kyb shocks-4 cyl springs upfront-cut gt springs rear-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
my moms **** is better than my GF. Its easier to clean up and doesnt stink as bad after a few days.
fausty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #60
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

why are you t5alking about replacing the oil pump? its not necessary to replace the pump when do the timing chain...

Old 01-07-2008, 05:45 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
46, 50, 99, bad, chain, cobra, mustang, noise, oil, pump, squeaking, tensioners, ticking, timing, valve