4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Well...Never Did I Think This Would Happen To Me...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:39 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default Well...Never Did I Think This Would Happen To Me...

I just hung up my keys for the last time. A blown spark plug led to a piston hitting the plug, and now my motor is done. Check engine light flashing all over the place, car running on half the cylinders, missing every cylinder, fuel delivery not correct....my car is done guys.

I gotta admit, I saw it coming. I KNEW I should have sold it while it was running...It's on it's last limb, and few more miles, and shes completely done...like a slow long death. It scares me....I cried for 20 minutes. I'm 17, just got a job, barely making $140a week...going to school...thiscar was a mistake.

You know how they say easy come easy go? I believe in it now...I know $6000 was too good to be true. So me and my dad just barely made it home from the mechanic shop after they heli-coiled the heads for $140...smelled like crap, ran like crap...it's toast, no doubt about it.

So I got a few options guys........

1) Sell the car for what it's worth now...(probably like $2000-3000), buy a beater...forget about the Mustang world for a few years until I can afford another one.

2) Swap the motor for either a 2v or 4v used motor that came out of a salvaged car. I know many references where I can get a complete 2v with less than 10k on it for $2100.

3) Try to figure out the problem myself, pay a buttload to buy new internals, build up the block, probably waste my money, and be stuck with a 2v.

I'm looking forward to option number 1.

I guess I'll seeya later guys.........It's been great...it really has...you guys are the best, and this forum has been so much help to me in the past, but now, the tarp is over the car, I got my bus pass and I'm ready to start over. I'll leave this thread to you guys, and probably check it out sometimes...but I'm taking MF off my favorites list and going to take a break. I need to think things through, and do some homework on it. I'll get back to you guys in a while with my final decision.

This is CobraStangGT16....signing off. Bye,guys.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Well...Never Did I Think This Would Happen To Me...

That suck bro, but don't go so fast... PArk the car, save up and buy a motor. MMR has a short block for 2500. Heads are cheap. Just stick it out...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Rader99GT
I ♥ Acer

DUDE! Don't give up, whatever you do. [sm=noooo.gif][sm=badidea.gif][sm=chairshot.gif] I wish the best of luck to you with whatever decision you make. I'm pretty sure you got the support of everyone here at MF, you got mine. [sm=hia.gif] Hopefully, you can fix your car or do what it is that you need to do, but that doesn't mean you can't hang around. [sm=imsorry.gif][sm=itsok.gif]
Old 11-13-2007, 10:46 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about that man. If I were in your shoes, and wanting to get out, I'd opt for a replacement engine, and then sell the car. But if you are tired of messing with it, and just want to move on, then selling it as is might be right for YOUR situation.

Good luck with the whole deal.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:53 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Dude id hate to see ya go like this. Let her sit, and take her off insurance. Save up for a 4v. By the time this whole thing is done and she is alive again, you will be happy. Dont just give up like that. I feel bad for ya man, cars like these are frustrating.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:53 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

A blown spark plug led to a piston hitting the plug, and now my motor is done. Check engine light flashing all over the place, car running on half the cylinders, missing every cylinder, fuel delivery not correct....my car is done guys.
Is it just me or does this not make any sense?

Did you mean to say that the piston hitting the plug caused it to blow out?

If so, how do you know it was the piston that caused it to blow out. What makes you so sure the whole car is shot?

If anything, find stuff out for yourself and others on here.

I blew out a plug. Helicoiled, developed a miss, then something worse. Took plug out of head, mashed in. Bent valve.

But I don't know what caused it yet, what's the real story behind the car, but it being done is the last thing from my mind.

I'm just confused as to why you're automatically jumping to the worst possible scenario already.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:56 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

if u just need a shortblock, i got my gt shortblock , 97, sold the PI heads though, but your welcome to it for 200 bucks if you can find a way to come get it.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

i say new motor from salvage

maby build your motor up if the block is still in good shape
Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Yea it does seem a little wierd. Unless some how you snapped a rod but it didnt throw it through the block, the piston came up into the combustion chamber and pushed out the plug. Then your check engine light came on, and retarded your timing and dumped a pants load of fuel, and the computer was never reset and now it runs like a** because your mixture is all f'd up and you have a snapped rod, i dunno. Just my random guess late in the night lol, i dunno if its even possible
Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I dont know if he had a snapped rod it would probably start to make a real nasty clunk.

Quick Reply: Well...Never Did I Think This Would Happen To Me...