4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Timing Chain tensioners..how to compress HELP ASAP!!

Old 11-21-2007, 10:28 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Default Timing Chain tensioners..how to compress HELP ASAP!!

Im in the middle of putting my motor back together, i heard about some paper clip trick idk....but how to I compress them then get them to stay compressed for the install?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Timing Chain tensioners..how to compress HELP ASAP!!

I have not done it on a 4.6 but I have done plenty of OHC engines and they are all about the same. I usually put it in a vise make sure the little hole is lined up with the other hole compress the piston until the 2 holes line up and stick the paper clip or what ever will fit in the holes.Don't pull it out until your ready for it to pick up the slack. If there are no holes to stick a pin in ignore everything I just said and wait for better info
Old 11-22-2007, 02:53 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

You need to release and holdthe ratchet bar clip thats in the larger hole about mid-wayon the front of it as you slowly compress it in a vice. Use a very small screwdriver to release it and when its fully collapsed then you stick a paper clip in the tiny hole nearer the bottom. As you start to open the vise you'll feel the clip go in and its locked. It may take a few tries but you'll get it andDon't remove it until all is assembled, good luck.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:48 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

I didn't use a vice but turned it upside down and pushed the tensioner rod in after moving the teeth away with the small screw driver as mentioned and then let it out slowly with a small paper clip until it found the hole that holds the plunger in.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:28 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FDNYBullitt

You need to release and holdthe ratchet bar clip thats in the larger hole about mid-wayon the front of it as you slowly compress it in a vice. Use a very small screwdriver to release it and when its fully collapsed then you stick a paper clip in the tiny hole nearer the bottom. As you start to open the vise you'll feel the clip go in and its locked. It may take a few tries but you'll get it andDon't remove it until all is assembled, good luck.
+1 thats how you compress the older style ones like you have. With my 04 I didnt have to do that I just forced them into place and slid in the bolts. When I worked on my buddys lightning that has the same tentioners as the OP I tried to install them the way I did my 04 and they wouldn't go.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:58 PM
micheal0484
2nd Gear Member

it should have had a pin in it when you bought it
Old 11-22-2007, 11:12 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

ORIGINAL: FDNYBullitt

+1 thats how you compress the older style ones like you have. With my 04 I didnt have to do that I just forced them into place and slid in the bolts. When I worked on my buddys lightning that has the same tentioners as the OP I tried to install them the way I did my 04 and they wouldn't go.
Haha, yea no ****, talkin about a pain in the azz! I thought at first that my car had the one's you can do with a paper clip until I took it apart. Turns out though, you've got to have a funny looking gadet to hold them down the right way. I just did what you did though. Forced them in there.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:46 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

just forced them in

paper clip

they went in anyways

paperclip magic trip

you had the old ones, I forced them in anyways...

......................those are all quotes I do NOT want to hear when I ask for cam/timinmg help
Old 11-23-2007, 03:09 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

LOL you will hear them when it comes time to put your tentioners back on. You have a 99 so you will be using the paperclip. I have a ford tech manual that the dealerships use and is says "use a paperclip or something"
Old 11-23-2007, 07:11 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

I pushed the "ratchet" to the side and then turned them upside down on the garage floor (using my body weight to hold them in) then put the pin in... don't fool with clamps ect.....