4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

service engine soon light!! wtf

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:57 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: service engine soon light!! wtf

ORIGINAL: uberstang1

i am going to get it checked today and let you know.
If you never got it checked before how do you know its for something emissions related, the CEL can come on for tons of different reasons that are not emissions related.
Easy guys... He said he's getting it checked today, just wait till he posts the code.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:50 PM
bighvygt
1st Gear Member

yay easy guys dont need any violence when i said emmissions i said that because when i looked that light up in the owners manual it says "emmissions". i went to advanved and he said there were accually 2 codes. both had to do with a "bank" running too lean... and he cleared it for me. it has not come back on yet but its only been a few hours. i have had the car for a little over a month with no light. how do you know if you have "mil" whatevers on it and what are they. he did not give me the code numbers though.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:14 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

If it has to do with the banks running lean, it isyour Xpipe.. Is it an O/R pipe? Your O2 sensors are throwing a code because you dont have cats anymore. It will probably be back on shortly. You will have to get under your car and see if there are any mil eliminators... you will see them attached after your o2 sensors on your mid pipe. They might have burnt out. How many miles do you have on the car?
Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

If you can, call up there and see if he remembers what the code was.. You really need the code.... just to be safe.It should be like a P0156.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:36 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

both had to do with a "bank" running too lean... and he cleared it for me.
Running lean is bad. Call em back to get that code, if its left or right bank sensor 1 thats not a good sign and has nothing to do with the aftermarket midpipe.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:41 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

As far as having an offroad mid pipe goes, the 2 rear o2 sensors which are the ones after the car serve no function except to check to make sure the cats are working properly. The installation of an aftermarket midpipe shouldnt cause a code to be thrown for a lean or rich. Generally you get a code for cat defeincy when u have a catless midpipe. If that lean code is being thrown by one of the 2 front 02 sensors that isnt because of your midpipe, i would recommend not hammering on that car or takeing it to redline till you poinpoint the problem.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:10 PM
bighvygt
1st Gear Member

ok now its pissing me off. the light came back on after a few hours and the idel vareation also came back. i have 54k miles. so ill get the code read again tommorow and get the code numbers. so the code numbers will tell me witch of the 4 02 sensors it is? the guy said it was 2 lean codes can both the front sensors go out at the same time.is that the only thingthat will throw a lean code? why would you feel a little idel change when the light comes on but you clear the code it is fine. i feel no power change when the code came on. ill post the codes tommorow. oh my fat *** cant fit under the car to look for a mil eliminator.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:29 PM
ac316scu
1st Gear Member

i have this exact same problem. but i dont have a mid-pipe, my codes were p0171 and p0174. ive been trying to figure out what the problem could be. just to help wth suggestions ive replaced my iac, smoketested my engine novaccum leaks anywhere, and replaced my fuel filter.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:41 PM
arcticman37
3rd Gear Member

Here is some other stuff that can throw the p0171 code:

1. Dipstick tube sucking air - bad seal
2. PCV hoses sucking air.
3. Cracked air intake tube between MAF and throttle body - pull it and check
it carefully for cracks.
4. EGR valve loose, or leaking.
5. Tube from exhaust manifold to EGR valve cracked, or loose
6. Hose from fuel vapor recirc system (evap solenoid) to intake manifold
cracked or leaking.
7. Loose throttle body bolts
8. Exhaust system leak before O2 sensors (since you are setting p0174 that
would require 2 leaks)
Old 12-07-2007, 12:01 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

ok now its pissing me off. the light came back on after a few hours and the idel vareation also came back. i have 54k miles. so ill get the code read again tommorow and get the code numbers. so the code numbers will tell me witch of the 4 02 sensors it is? the guy said it was 2 lean codes can both the front sensors go out at the same time.is that the only thing that will throw a lean code? why would you feel a little idel change when the light comes on but you clear the code it is fine. i feel no power change when the code came on. ill post the codes tommorow. oh my fat *** cant fit under the car to look for a mil eliminator.
Pretty much gonna need to codes to get a better idea of whats going on, btw it doesnt matter if u have MILS or not, the rear 02 sensors just check on the cats, has no effect on problems u are describing. If you want to check pull a spark plug on each bank to see if you're leaning out.

Quick Reply: service engine soon light!! wtf