4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help with having no ABS

Old 12-09-2007, 12:35 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help with having no ABS

Well hopefully you told your insurance company it did have ABS for that discount....lol It would have been an honest mistake...lol
Old 12-09-2007, 12:45 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incubus1275

I hate ABS with a burning passion. My advice to you would be to find a place where you can practice modulating your brakes better. On wet asfault the fastest way to slow down is 20% slip of your tires and ABS can not do that so well. It is a fact that ABS takes longer to stop on dry asfault and someone who knows how to brake properly without ABS can stop faster on all surfaces. And in snow, ABS really sucks because w/o ABS the piling effect from locked wheels helps you stop.

I unplugged my ABS because i've hit a guardrail in the rain. I was going around a corner, the rear stepped out and I counter steered full right and slammed the brakes but ABS kept my car going in a circle instead of sliding sideways so I tapped the gaurdrail with the bumper....soooo pissed off. I just practice in the rain in an empty parking lot in the middle of nowhere.
I would love to see any information whatsoever supporting this theory. And I don't see how you can blame ABS for causing your wreck... if you slam on the brakes with the rear sliding out from under you and the tires lock up all its going to do is make you loose control completely. Sounds like to me it did its job... kept the tires from sliding and loosing control, and you overcorrected.

I don't see any advantage whatsoever in acutally locking up the tires. And its not all about stopping distance in any case... its about stopping as fast as possible without sliding the tires and loosing control. Being stopped 20 feet early does you no good if you did so upside down in the ditch.. not that I agree you would stop faster sliding the tires anyway.

Pulling the ABS controls out is, IMO, not a good idea. Like I said, I would have to see definate proof to believe that ABS will not stop faster... ABS applies the maximum force possible without letting the tires slide... which to me sounds like the best idea.

ABS FTW
Old 12-09-2007, 01:21 AM
OldSkool
2nd Gear Member

no abs = no problem. imo it's just one more thing to break someday. i've never had abs on any of my cars, and i guess i'm just used to it, but it's always been fine for me
Old 12-09-2007, 02:54 AM
effingroovin647
1st Gear Member

imo ABS saves me from alot of close calls... many a days in the rain and snow just sliding into parking spots or up the driveway abs stops me from gliding into another car
Old 12-09-2007, 04:04 AM
rogerwilco357
2nd Gear Member

yep i also have no abs due to mod's done previously.. take it to a nice parking lot and if you have tires for the season m+s tires like the pirelli's you should get the hang of it the worst scenerio is black ice i live in michigan and have been driving mustangs since i was like 16 or so and learned alot without abs..test your skills out fast stops see how long it takes for your car to stop and fast take offs to see what the car does leans etc.. hit the brakes and count see how long it takes to stop and when on the road and the snow comes take it easy and remember not to ride the bumpers and you should do fine.. good luck and take care tires with the m+s mud and snow tires make a difference..
Old 12-09-2007, 11:04 AM
OldSkool
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rogerwilco357

yep i also have no abs due to mod's done previously.. take it to a nice parking lot and if you have tires for the season m+s tires like the pirelli's you should get the hang of it the worst scenerio is black ice i live in michigan and have been driving mustangs since i was like 16 or so and learned alot without abs..test your skills out fast stops see how long it takes for your car to stop and fast take offs to see what the car does leans etc.. hit the brakes and count see how long it takes to stop and when on the road and the snow comes take it easy and remember not to ride the bumpers and you should do fine.. good luck and take care tires with the m+s mud and snow tires make a difference..
+1 black ice will screw you over with or without abs