4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sparkplug removal - fuel rails?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:37 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Default RE: Sparkplug removal - fuel rails?

sorry to jack the thread, but the person who did my head gaskets for me torqued my plugs to 20 ft lbs....will they be ok or should i re torque them? i finally got myself a torque wrench, just dont wanna go through the hastle if they will be fine
Old 12-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

also you may have problems with your extension coming off leaving your plug and socket in the hole... I put a small piece of tape on the end of the extension before putting it in the socket just to make a tighter fit.. this helps me.. I'm sure there are better ideas to help with this though...

Taking the intake from the throttle body also will also help.. and I usually have to use a wobble joint and extension on the rear plug on the passenger side (#4)
Old 12-18-2007, 07:57 AM
blownbayou
3rd Gear Member

NGK TR5s in mine....It takes me all of 20 minutes to change out the plugs on the GT. CAKE!!!!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:53 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

I like using a "WOBBLE" extension, it allows almost 15 degrees of misalignment, makes getting the plugs out easy. I too find no trouble changing plugs on a mustang. But a 5.4 liter '99 Expedition with rear heat/AC, That's another beast entirely, and a real BITCH on the right rear plugs!

John
Old 12-18-2007, 11:04 AM
blownbayou
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 70 MACH I

I like using a "WOBBLE" extension, it allows almost 15 degrees of misalignment, makes getting the plugs out easy. I too find no trouble changing plugs on a mustang. But a 5.4 liter '99 Expedition with rear heat/AC, That's another beast entirely, and a real BITCH on the right rear plugs!

John
Know what you mean on the 5.4

Lightning was a BEOTCH until I got my routine down....I am now at an average of 55 minutes on the Lightning. Record is 34 or 24 minutes...One of those

Later
Old 12-18-2007, 05:33 PM
clarehills
2nd Gear Member

More great suggestions, thanks lads - looks like I have a good reason to get myself a set of wobble extensions now yipee!

99BlackPonyGT - I am going to let someone with (more) engine rebuilding experience answer this one for sure so bump.

IMO I would leave them alone, if they are overtorqued then loosening them and then torquing them to the correct torque (11-13 fp) might not work as loosening them may tear the threads in the head. In other words the damage may already be done. If you leave them in there and wait until you need to replace them in another 60,000 miles or so (I heard you can get 100,000 on the platinum plugs) and you have the problem then, well at least you had 60,000 miles of use before have to fix/replace the heads. The problem is that if the heads have been damaged by over torqueing then you might be at risk of a plug blow out - this is where the plug is ejected from the sparkplug hole - if you are in the middle of a long journey that would suck ***.

Again, the above is just what I think myself, hopefully someone else will step in and give more a experience based answer. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:02 PM
bigtinybob
1st Gear Member

i used autolite copper tops
Old 12-18-2007, 09:37 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

ORIGINAL: clarehills

More great suggestions, thanks lads - looks like I have a good reason to get myself a set of wobble extensions now yipee!

99BlackPonyGT - I am going to let someone with (more) engine rebuilding experience answer this one for sure so bump.

IMO I would leave them alone, if they are overtorqued then loosening them and then torquing them to the correct torque (11-13 fp) might not work as loosening them may tear the threads in the head. In other words the damage may already be done. If you leave them in there and wait until you need to replace them in another 60,000 miles or so (I heard you can get 100,000 on the platinum plugs) and you have the problem then, well at least you had 60,000 miles of use before have to fix/replace the heads. The problem is that if the heads have been damaged by over torqueing then you might be at risk of a plug blow out - this is where the plug is ejected from the sparkplug hole - if you are in the middle of a long journey that would suck ***.

Again, the above is just what I think myself, hopefully someone else will step in and give more a experience based answer. Good luck.
with 150k on the clock ill be thrilled if my engine lasts for 60k more! the plugs are supposedly good for 90, and i really dont think i am going to have a problem with them so i am going to leave them....its not like they were cranked to some ridiculous amount like 40 ft lbs....i think ill be fine
Old 12-30-2010, 10:45 PM
kevikev

I'm new to repairs,and dont even know if I've got a SOHC or Dohc 4.6 motor., for that matter I dont even see spark plugs of wires for them or even a distributor. My Vin says I have letter "X" engine....... help shed some light mustang people
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
with 150k on the clock ill be thrilled if my engine lasts for 60k more! the plugs are supposedly good for 90, and i really dont think i am going to have a problem with them so i am going to leave them....its not like they were cranked to some ridiculous amount like 40 ft lbs....i think ill be fine
The 4.6 liter is very durable and you still have 100000 miles in it for sure. And I put in the Bosch platinum/iridium plugs and I can't believe the difference. The 4 ground straps really woke my car right up... But i have to get rid of them because nitrous needs 1 heat range colder so I will be giving these ones away if anyone wants em.

Quick Reply: Sparkplug removal - fuel rails?