4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Speed release or Triple hook???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 PM
brent_cosenza
2nd Gear Member

Default Speed release or Triple hook???

which is better the speed release from UPR or the UPR Triple hook and does it completely eliminate the plastic gearing that holds the cable and if so how does the aftermarket one grip the clutch cable with no teeth wouldnt it slip?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:45 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: Speed release or Triple hook???

The "teeth" have nothing to do with holding the cable, they are entirely related to the ratcheted adjustment mechanism. All of the plastic stuff (including the OEM adjuster) is removed and the new quadrant is mounted to both fixed pins on the pedal--the OEM quadrant pin and the ratchet pin. The "hooks", one on the speed release and 3 on the triple-hook, hold the cable end.[/align][/align]The UPR speed release quadrant requires an adjustable cable and optionally a firewall adjuster, the triple-hook quadrant requires a firewall adjuster (I have the 3-hook and UPRs Quick-click adjuster), and will work with the OEM cable. I have read a number of tales of aftermarket clutch cables being of lesser quality, don't know if this is true however my car is my DD and I don't need that sort of problem cropping up 200 miles from home.[/align]
Old 12-21-2007, 07:55 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

I happen to have both. I use a UPR speed release with a stock cable. Much better for shifting at the track but the triple is nicer for the street. [8D]
Old 12-21-2007, 08:51 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: JayC

I happen to have both. I use a UPR speed release with a stock cable. Much better for shifting at the track but the triple is nicer for the street. [8D]
[/align][/align]UPR told me the quick release wouldn't work the the OEM cable--wouldn't be the first time a sales person was wrong though...[/align]
Old 12-21-2007, 10:16 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

[/align][/align]UPR told me the quick release wouldn't work the the OEM cable--wouldn't be the first time a sales person was wrong though...[/align]
I have the Steeda quick release on my old GT with the stock cable. I am not sure whether the steeda and UPR are the same though.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:00 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

I have the Steeda quick release on my old GT with the stock cable. I am not sure whether the steeda and UPR are the same though.
A bud has a UPR and say's it rattles! I have a quick release from Steeda getting readyto put on and was told I need to use a firewall adjuster also. Is this true?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:14 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

A bud has a UPR and say's it rattles! I have a quick release from Steeda getting readyto put on and was told I need to use a firewall adjuster also. Is this true?
You dont NEED it if you replace the clutch cable with an adjustable one, but it is HIGHLY RECCOMENDED, it makes life a lot easier.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:07 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

I would go with the firewall adjuster. The UPR is a Steeda clone......if it's rattling it's not adjusted right[8D]
Old 12-22-2007, 10:30 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

if it's rattling it's not adjusted right[8D]
It's perfectly adjusted
Old 12-22-2007, 12:15 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

if it's rattling it's not adjusted right[8D]
It's perfectly adjusted
Use washers on the pivot points?

Quick Reply: Speed release or Triple hook???