4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

centerforce or spec

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:06 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

Default centerforce or spec

im upgrading my clutch in the mach and i wanna go to a centerforce clutch but my speed shop recomends a spec stage 3. he recomends that because of my launching style at the track. i plan to do some sort of power adder in the next year to get me up to 400-450 rwhp. he said the centerforce is awsome for the street but it doesnt like 5k launches because its a diaphram clutch. he said the spec is a some other kind started with a p but i cant remember. what do you guys recomend. i need to go with a clutch in a week so let me know your opp. and why.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:05 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: centerforce or spec

no one?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:11 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

A spec 3 to drive on the street will be chattery. Youwill hate it. There's no reason for 5k launches! A dual friction clutch is the best clutch I have ever owned and wish I manned up to the $400 price instead of trying a Hays clutch $250. (Hays is super grabby like the spec 3) I have to take off like an Indy 500 driver every red light for it not to chatter...lol The dual friction can handle boat loads of power and is a super soft pedal with super soft engagement. They have a self aligning T-O bearing for better clutch feel as well(sold seperately) Centerforce has a new clutch called the "X". More for drag style. Has 6 puck surface I believe. Not sure how chattery that will be on the street.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:57 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

A spec 3 to drive on the street will be chattery. Youwill hate it. There's no reason for 5k launches! A dual friction clutch is the best clutch I have ever owned and wish I manned up to the $400 price instead of trying a Hays clutch $250. (Hays is super grabby like the spec 3) I have to take off like an Indy 500 driver every red light for it not to chatter...lol The dual friction can handle boat loads of power and is a super soft pedal with super soft engagement. They have a self aligning T-O bearing for better clutch feel as well(sold seperately) Centerforce has a new clutch called the "X". More for drag style. Has 6 puck surface I believe. Not sure how chattery that will be on the street.
There isn't???

My stage 3 is pretty grabby, its hard to take off really smoothly on the street, but it sure does hold up well to abuse and never ever slips.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:30 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I like the feel of my Centerforce DF!
Old 12-23-2007, 01:36 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I don't "hate" my Spec stage 3. I believe it's one of the best things I've done to my car. It is my daily driver, and it will go everywhere. When it gets hot, it will chatter a little bit, but like 2000GT4.6 says, it doesn't matter what happens, or what you have to put up with, that SOB isn't gonna slip. And that's why I bought it.

There's no reason for 5K launches? What in the hell are you talking about? There is a reason for it. It's called "I wanna go fast." Have you ever launched at 5k+ on slicks? If you have, you wouldn't have said something so absurd.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:36 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

im so unsure on what clutch i wanna go with. all i know is i need a new one bc mine is shot.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:43 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

i am looking at the spec stage 3 also for when i get ready for juice

zw how is your's off the juice?
Old 12-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

I have a Centerforce Dual Friction and love it.. No complaints what so ever..

It drives like stock.. there is absolutely no bucking or jerking whatsoever taking off.. It has yet to slip... The dual friction has little weights that sling out at Higher Rpms to help squeeze everything together...

Old 12-23-2007, 02:57 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

There's no reason for 5K launches? What in the hell are you talking about? There is a reason for it. It's called "I wanna go fast." Have you ever launched at 5k+ on slicks? If you have, you wouldn't have said something so absurd.
Have you read his sig? Looks like he has a stock car with no beef to it. Try launching with slicks at 5k and see what happens to those stock axles or control arm mounts! Also, he never said anything about slicks soI figured he was using drag radials which will spin at a 5k dump unless you shave them and heat cycle them.You don't have to launch at 5k to get the best E.T time either. 3-4k is perfectly fine.

Quick Reply: centerforce or spec