4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

whats wrong with my car? Hesitating

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:50 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

Default whats wrong with my car? Hesitating

Ok so i noticed this problem a few weeks ago, but ignored it since it only happend when it was really cold outside, and the engine was cold as well. It would stop as soon as my temp gadge got right dead center (when the engine was warm)

However, driving home from work tonight (and after the engine has had plenty of time to warm up) I start to get the sputters again. Let me see if I can try to explain whats happening:

r is normal engine sound accelerating
s is when it sputters

1st gear
rrrrrSSrrrrrSSrrrrrrrrrrrrrrSSSrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrS SSrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2nd gear
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrSSSSrrrrSSrrrrrrSSSSSSrrrrrrrSSSS SSrrSSrrSSrrSSrrrrrrrrrrr
3rd
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrSSrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrSSSrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

(keep in mind im "getting on" the gas too, and I can feel the sputters in my acceleration, its an obvious loss of power)

I cant pinpoint whats going on. however, I can say that my exaust has been strangly louder recentally (I dont know if that could have anything to do with it). Also, when it sputters, It backfires alot of the times.

Any ideas about what could be goind on? Back pressure problem? I looked under the car and couldnt hear/see/smell any exaust leaks, although I could be wrong. Im open for ideas. I work at Tire Kingdom so I have access to ramps and ****. I can get whatever info u need (with some time)

I have magnaflow catback w/ o/r mac h pipe
Old 12-22-2007, 08:58 PM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: whats wrong with my car? Hesitating

this is a very common problem with our cars. its one of a few things, you could start by changing the fuel filter, if not that its prob the throttle position sensor, or lastly a fuel pump.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:05 PM
tylerl90
2nd Gear Member

I had a 73 Mach 1 with the 351 Cleveland and it did that for awhile. Couldn't figure it out. A friend of mine(mechanic) put in a new distributor and new ignition in and it stopped. =/
Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

+1.. Especially the TPS.

ORIGINAL: lewistk

this is a very common problem with our cars. its one of a few things, you could start by changing the fuel filter, if not that its prob the throttle position sensor, or lastly a fuel pump.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:07 AM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

well I know its not the fuel filter, As I just replaced it maby 1k miles ago... throttle position sensor? how do I check if that is ok or not? And my fuel pump that would suck. How do you check if these things are bad or not?
Old 12-23-2007, 07:58 AM
900RR Puzzle
1st Gear Member

I have been chasing the same problem with my 2002 GT (except it does not backfire) and have not figured it out yet. Mine is worse when the engine is up to temperature. I've been told to try a bunch of things, by different people. So far I've:

Cleaned the throttle body
Cleaned the MAFS
Cleaned the IAC
Cleaned the EGR
Had a BG fuel injection cleaning service done
changed the fuel filter
Changed the spark plugs
Put a new boot kit on the coils

None of this helped at all. It would be better for about 20-30 miles then go back to the same thing.

I was going to get the Accel COP kit as my next step (less $ than 8 stock coils), but I will try the TPS first since it costs less.

Note: My GT has 110,000 miles on it.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:08 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

I guess I will change the TPS as well. Can somebody tell me where I can pick this up from? I was going to go with "a bad spark plug" but it didnt seem to help the above person.

on a side note, how do you know if you do have a bad spark plug? I sware that COULD be my issue... however I will not know till I replace them.

where can I get hte TPS? At autozone? advance? napa?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:01 PM
900RR Puzzle
1st Gear Member

Any one of the stores that you listed should have it...

Here it is on AutoZone's web site:

http://www.autozone.com/N,15900136//...eResultSet.htm
Old 12-24-2007, 11:16 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Yeah it can be had for like 30 bucks. And for the guy above with the list. Change the TPS also it is a 10 minute job. It is so very common...

ORIGINAL: swooshonln

I guess I will change the TPS as well. Can somebody tell me where I can pick this up from? I was going to go with "a bad spark plug" but it didnt seem to help the above person.

on a side note, how do you know if you do have a bad spark plug? I sware that COULD be my issue... however I will not know till I replace them.

where can I get hte TPS? At autozone? advance? napa?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Skooler

havent really looked around yet but where is the TPS located at under the hood? and im guessing if my car would be cruising at 40mph and all a sudden for a half second it feels likei let go of the gas but then it was fine again it would also be this problem?

Quick Reply: whats wrong with my car? Hesitating