4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Spark Plug Wire Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:33 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Default Spark Plug Wire Problem

I decided 4 months back to replace plugs/wires/filter and stuff because the car is 11 years old and it needed a tune up. I went cheap and used an ebay set of plug wires. Worked fine for a little while then i started getting misfires. Today i received my ford racing 9mm wires and through them on they seemed to be a little longer for each wire than the other ones but i figured it wouldn't effect anything. Well half way to my gf's house i'm getting misfire. Anyone got any ideas? I'm pretty positive that the firing order is right but can someone send it to me just incase. I don't know what to do about these damn wires.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:06 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Spark Plug Wire Problem

A guy on a different forum said that maybe with the screamin demon coil packs and ford racing 9mm wires i have to much spark for the stock gap at .054 and i should up it a little bit. Anyone ever hear of to much spark at a low gap???
Old 01-02-2008, 08:27 PM
nyuk98gt

Default RE: Spark Plug Wire Problem

StangEatsRice:

Can't comment much about the Screamin' Demon packs. People use them with stock engines and don't experience problems so I don't think that "too much spark power" is the problem (no offence to the posters who offered the advice).

Here is some more info for you:

cylinders
4 8 (back)
3 7
2 6
1 5 (front)

passenger coil pack
6 3
1 5

driver coil pack
7 2
4 8

Take an old plug and plug it into each boot. There should be a small gap (1/16" minimum) between the boot and the metal body AND the plug wire clip should click onto the top of the plug. The boots slide on the wires. If the boot sits too low, push more wire into the boot. If the boot is too high, pull the boot down the wire (towards the metal end tip). Be careful: you can only move the boot on the wire about 1/8" at a time. Don't bend the wire or you may break the internal conductor. Last thing: use a small dab of dielectric grease on the inside of the boots. Use a Q-Tip to smear the stuff around and don't use too much.

Check the connections on the coil packs and make sure that the wires are seated. Be careful not to snap off the clips!

Check the ohms per foot for each wire. Measure ohms and the length (coil pack connector to tip of boot). All the wires should be similar "ohms/foot". If one wire has high resistance, the conductor may be damaged.

Check the primary and secondary resistances of the coil packs. The Haynes manual has the procedure and it is easy to do.

HTH,

Chris