4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need help.. crap launches! :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:10 PM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: need help.. crap launches! :(

6000 is to high. car is probably not making power past 5680 rpm. Have your car prof. tune(air fuel) at a shop. I had a 98 auto b4 my 2002 and 14.3 is a great time. I was running 15's flat w/ 80 degree weather. I ran on a reg. stock gear and reg. tires 245's. w/ the rest of the bolt on's you have. My 60 ft times where 2.0-2.1, top speed 97. IM thinking your time is great and w/ the auto, I don't think it'd going to get much better. Id get your car tuned, change the line pressures for quicker shifts and get the shift points at what there suppose to be to max you power curve. Whomever did the sniper tune obviously doesn't knowyour car. Also, If your slipping of the line, get some lower control arms. Whats your tires pressure ??? I ran mine at 28 lbs.(ra. tires)These where my mistakes and I hope it gives you some real world solutions. Nice times for your set/up.How did you figure out you rwhp ???????
Old 01-12-2008, 06:57 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JayC

Hmmmmmmmmm....you said "with no wheel spin" , so I'm not sure what to think now. Also that must be one of those "friendly" dynos if your combo made 230rwhp. I'd like to see the dyno sheet on that one
you are more than welcome to, i'll be glad to show it to you. i'll also take a video of it too - it's going back to be tuned again this week but the last was right at 230 rwhp and 278 tq

few people don't believe it, but a lot do, especially the ones around here and those who have seen it with their own eyes.

and by wheel spin i mean it's not going crazy like it was with the street tires, i get a little slip but nothing major.

and SFI it is professionally tuned, it's tuned by the people who actually make the Sniper lol.... I've known them for years but you are right it barely makes anything at that rpm which is why i was goign to do a few pulls on the dyno again using different rpm areas for the 1-2 shift
Old 01-12-2008, 07:52 PM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

Have them adjust your shift points then. You shouldn't be shifting at 6000 rpm. See if they can max your line pressure out too. It may cut alittle hp, but the shifts will be quicker and should make up alittle 1/4 mile time. To get less wheel spin, get some after market lower control arms. IM sure if your car is running 14.3's, your rwhp is right. Just allot for that set/up. IM not one to start arguements in this forum, I just had the same car and almost the same set/up and I was allot slower than you. I really suggest a air/fuel dyno and to set your transmission to to it.
Let me know how it works if you do it.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Asylum839
2nd Gear Member

not to be a jackass but if you still have some spin with those DR's and those kind of HP numbers are you heating up your tires before getting to the line?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:39 PM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

Good point. Also is he driving thru the wet box or backing into it and doing his burnouts. I've made the mistake of driving thru it and my front tires dripped some water at the starting lineand roasted the tires 60ft until I let off. Looked like a *** in front of 500 people. So I go around the box and back into it now. Lesson I learned. I also didn't bother to ask him if he ws shifting manualy , w/od off or on. Take itfrom me, your never better than the computer. ALso, I was slower w/ the od off as well as shifting manually.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:12 AM
JayDs Ibanez
3rd Gear Member

you're running a good time with an npi and your mods
get 4.10's, and a shift kit
Old 01-13-2008, 03:43 AM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

the line pressure is max'd pretty much as with the full torque adjustment for all gears so i get 100% instead of it backing down to like 80% on shifts. i have gone through the box and burned out as with just going around it and burning out without water. - i only realistically heat them up until i see smoke start to come out then that's about it, as for tire pressure i had in around 20 psi on each side. - the computer is set for 5000 rpm on 1-2 and 2-3 @ 5250 as with 3-4 @ 5250 yet it pushes the tach all the way to redline in the 1-2 which i don't get unless it's actually shifting and just carrying over the needle. right now the a/f iirc is in the neighborhood of 13.0 or so but i'll have to double check tomorrow when i take it out for a few runs (raining today)

i was thinking i got too much deflection from the huge sidewalls but i wasn't sure. i'll let everyone know tomorrow if the track is open (if it doesn't rain) after i do a few shift points. i wish i had a video camera as i'd record my runs and maybe someone could help out :|