4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Help Badly

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

Default Need Help Badly

Here is my dilemma. I have a 99 Cobra that could possibly throw a rod if I dont fix it soon. The person I took it to said it's either a main bearing or rod bearing. It was blown before I bought it. Here is my question though. Should I spend the money to buy new Rods and Pistons and fix the problem and still have to buy shocks and springs OR Buy a re-manufactured 99 Cobra motor and still buy springs and shocks?

I have to buy shocks b/c the current one's are aweful...the car bounces over bumps. And I am buying springs to make the car level all the way around instead of having the butt higher than the front. (Its my DD)

The re-manufactured motor is $4100 just for the motor. Incase someone says why dont you fix it yourself...its b/c I do not have the knowledge to do it. The best price I have found on Pistons & Rods are approx. $1200 for all, but idk how good of quality they are.

I need to do something soon cause the knocking is getting louder and I dont wanna have a rod shoot through the block and then HAVE to buy a new motor. Any and all opinions are appreciated as I do not know where to find quality pistons and rods and I just plain dont know which option to choose.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help Badly

dang guys...16 views and nobody has an opinion?

what would you do if this was your car?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:02 PM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

go to lethal performance and check out there shortblocks, they have forged internals. They go for around $2500 and all you have to do is slap on your heads, oil pan, access, etc...They are very stout motors and last a long time. Its alot cheaper than a reman motor. Also there are various rod & piston/stroker kits available for around $1200-1500. Mustangs Unlimited has a 5.1 Stroker kit for $1500 and 2100. DSS racing also has a rod/piston kit for $1100.. Aftermarket performance is always cheaper than factory remanufactured.Hopes this helps.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:05 PM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

I just went through the same thing by the way. Spun a rod and grinded the crank down to nothing. I ordered the 5.1 Stroker kit for mine. If I was you I would get a stroker kit/rods & piston kit as I mentioned above. In the long run its better especially if you want to add some nitrous or F/I. Since its out the go the cheap way you will regret it in the end..Nice snake also
Old 01-15-2008, 04:13 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I understand you want to have a plan but pull apart your motor and get some ground truth. Find out what is bad and what needs to be replaced and take it from there.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

ok...thanks for the advice...I dont really have super-trustworthy shops around here, but there is one I do trust somewhat. I will look at a possible stroker kit, but that comes with the rods and pistons right?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

???
Old 01-15-2008, 08:18 PM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

the stroker kit comes with rods, pistons, cranks, rings and bearings
Old 01-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fruhdaddy

the stroker kit comes with rods, pistons, cranks, rings and bearings
I might just get that. It would probably be cheaper than going for a reman engine and I would be pushing around the same HP I am now if not more....thanks for the info. Also, do you know where I could find some good Rear Shocks? B/c my car bounces over bumps instead of catching itself like "good" shocks are supposed to.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:49 PM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

you would prolly be at the same hp but you can do alot more to the engine without having to worry about over killing it. you can use a bigger jet of nitrous or turn up the boost on your blower. If you use the $1500 5.1 stroker kit you will gain from 40-50 extra hp with a good tune. For shocks Ive found the cheapest on tirerack.com

Quick Reply: Need Help Badly