4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which Engine?

Old 01-18-2008, 09:12 PM
TayGt
1st Gear Member

Default Which Engine?

I have a 03GT and am unhappy with the performance. Yes it is stock so my question is should i bulit up the 2v swap it for a 4v or build a 5.42v. They all will not be cheap to build so what one would be easier?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Which Engine?

if u want to build it... id go with a 4v from a mach or cobra... the 5.4 isnt really worth it... and its not really worth rebuilding a 2v if for a few bux more u can just go find a 4v...

i would prolly just go buy a used cobra or mach
Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

a 5.4 3v
or a 4v if they make it.

But if i had to choose, i'd get me a Cobra motor,tranny, and computer.
or a GT500 motor, tranny and computer.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 PM
TayGt
1st Gear Member

I can afford to buy a new car lol. I can buy a tho motor parts here and there and build a motor i can do all the labor myself and far and assebly and install. So the 2v is not worth building at all?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TayGt

I can afford to buy a new car lol. I can buy a tho motor parts here and there and build a motor i can do all the labor myself and far and assebly and install. So the 2v is not worth building at all?
well it is... depending on what you want your end result to be...

heres my dalema... i have been through this...

i wanted 600hp... if i were to dump money into my car...

-i have a 2v... well the heads suck, so i wanted better heads, but they still arent the best.... so i guess i would supercharge..
-supercharging is nice, untill about 400hp, after that, you blow the bottum end..
-then since i would need a new bottum end, why not just spend the extra cash, and get 4v heads, if im going to deal with ripping out the engine and what not
-sooo i go from a 2v... to a 4v anyway... sure you could build the bottum end of a 2v, but why not just make the engine a 4v if your doing everything else!

and the 5.4 wouldnt be much better then the 03 termy engine... and it would need alot more customizing...

so in the end, if im going to get a 4v, why stop there, i might aswell buy a cobra, because it would come with all the other nice things, like a 6spd tranny and stronger drivetrain blah blah blah

if you want 400hp, then the 2v is great... but i alway told myself, if im going to start a project, i dont want to hit a brick wall down the road, so i might as well do the project that will yield what i want, even if it would take a long time
Old 01-18-2008, 09:46 PM
TayGt
1st Gear Member

Well sweet then i am only looking for like 400 horse its my daily driver i just want some power to play with. I was think heads cams and a super charger full exhaust and a t56
Old 01-18-2008, 09:57 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TayGt

Well sweet then i am only looking for like 400 horse its my daily driver i just want some power to play with. I was think heads cams and a super charger full exhaust and a t56
then your set... the engine you have stock can take about 400hp with a super, usually around 9-10psi... (depending on what you get)

i would do the super first... then get a new set of heads/cams... so you can get some blower cams to go with the super. the exhaust and t56 would be fine before or after.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:57 PM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boduke0220

a 5.4 3v
or a 4v if they make it.

But if i had to choose, i'd get me a Cobra motor,tranny, and computer.
or a GT500 motor, tranny and computer.
5.4L 4v from a navigator and boost it...you will make more power than a 4.6 4v..there is a GT on youtube or streetfire beating up on terminators and Z06s with the swap

I have a issue of MM&FF with a GT and Bullitt that still has the 2v fully built and blown laying down 650+hp and running 10s. 2v make just as much horsepower as the 4v but just takes a lil more cash to do it. So it depends on how deep your wallet is and your preference of 2v or 4v.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:17 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

personally i would say get a Tremec TKO500 transmission, a lot easier to swap out than going with a T56. it is also built for a beating
Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 PM
TayGt
1st Gear Member

I want easy ha. I want the sleeperlook to. I really am not looking to be a racer i just want to be camaros i hate loosing to them ha am i am a GM technician it is fun to get everyone at work all heated when i put down Garbage Motors! hA ha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Engine?