4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cam Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:10 PM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

Default Cam Tune

alright so im goin to install vt stage 1 cam in my car, i know i need a tune , i have i diablo but i heard i cant doit with the diablo, so how im going to doit ? a dyno tune? so i dumb my diablo? or what?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:36 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cam Tune

You dont need a dyno tune with stage 1 cams but a dyno tune will optimize your hp.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Satge 1 is fairly mild. I have an SCT tuner and I can do live datalogging with a laptop. This allows me to send the info to my tuner and he corrects the tune accordingly. This is as close to dyno as it gets (still not the same). I think you might have some lean issue's on the top end without a tune, but I would get some more insight on that. Check and see if your Diablo tuner does datalogging!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:31 PM
rmr1923
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

Satge 1 is fairly mild. I have an SCT tuner and I can do live datalogging with a laptop. This allows me to send the info to my tuner and he corrects the tune accordingly. This is as close to dyno as it gets (still not the same). I think you might have some lean issue's on the top end without a tune, but I would get some more insight on that. Check and see if your Diablo tuner does datalogging!
which SCT do you have? i have the xcalibrator 2 but haven't tried the data logging yet. when you send the info to your tuner, do you have to mail him the tuner also, or can he upload a new tune via some sort of software? i just recently got my xcalibrator 2 and haven't really messed with it much, other than installing the tune and correcting for my 3.73 gears.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 AM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

i talk to a guy work at a dyno shop and he said he will send email ti siablo and give them my mod list and they will send him back a new tune and he said it will cost about 50$
Old 01-22-2008, 08:55 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MaKaVeLi

i talk to a guy work at a dyno shop and he said he will send email ti siablo and give them my mod list and they will send him back a new tune and he said it will cost about 50$
This is exactly what I tried to do with diablo on a tune before my cam tune. I had full boltons and 3.73s, with a mail order generic tune. The generic diablo tune was too rich, the stock tune was acutally doing a a better job.

I had the shop email them my mod list, then had them do some rearend work and install the tune. I Had to drive it for awhile before running it hard (on the dyno) and when I did get back, I found out I had been driving around on a 15:1 a/f ratio at WOT (went WOT a few times).

If you don't have a wideband, you NEED to get on a dyno with one and see what is going on. Even if you don't have a local shop that can tune mustangs, get on the dyno with the tune they sent you and check it out. Without a a/f ratio check you have no real idea what is going on.

Dynos are cheap... usually under 100 bucks if you just want a few pulls with a/f. Its worth 100 bucks to KNOW that your car is making the power it should be, and is safe.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:40 PM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: MaKaVeLi

This is exactly what I tried to do with diablo on a tune before my cam tune. I had full boltons and 3.73s, with a mail order generic tune. The generic diablo tune was too rich, the stock tune was acutally doing a a better job.

I had the shop email them my mod list, then had them do some rearend work and install the tune. I Had to drive it for awhile before running it hard (on the dyno) and when I did get back, I found out I had been driving around on a 15:1 a/f ratio at WOT (went WOT a few times).

If you don't have a wideband, you NEED to get on a dyno with one and see what is going on. Even if you don't have a local shop that can tune mustangs, get on the dyno with the tune they sent you and check it out. Without a a/f ratio check you have no real idea what is going on.

Dynos are cheap... usually under 100 bucks if you just want a few pulls with a/f. Its worth 100 bucks to KNOW that your car is making the power it should be, and is safe.
why did you had to rework the rearend?

'right now i have my cam and 3.73 in my trunk and im going to install them bothin the next week

so after i install them i get the car to the dyno shop to order the tune and install it? and yeah i had a problem with my a/f ratio when put the car on the dyno, the guy said its low, never fix it though because i was too busy, so what next after instal th cam and gear?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 PM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

bump....