4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

windsor/romeo

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:33 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: windsor/romeo

ORIGINAL: Dagwood

ORIGINAL: Chris98Gt

Yes, 96-98 is romeo and I think 99-mid 01 is windsor, then last 01-04 is romeo. Either way a windsor style head will work on a romeo block. The differences are that the windsor have 13/14 bolt valve covers and have bigger bolt holes that the timing case cover bolts to. They also have bolt on cam gears.
Romeo Blocks have 11 bolt valve covers, Windsor Blocks have 13 bolt valve covers. I have a 2002 GT with a vin X Romeo engine.
Good job you figured out that you have a V8 engine because that is all the x means, it has nothing to do with what plant it was made at.

If you drive one of those funny looking body styles just before the new edge body style then you have a romeo engine. All parts are interchangeable except the valve covers.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Dagwood

Well no on older sn95 the vin was X or W
For 02-04 the only selection is X
Old 06-07-2008, 02:59 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Romeo sounds a little gay
Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 AM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

Well no on older sn95 the vin was X or W
For 02-04 the only selection is X
My VIN doesn't have a W anywhere, yet my 2000 GT has a windsor engine.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

When I called FORD Tech a few weeks ago to ask this question for 1sloblack the Tech told me that the problem is they used different Timing Sets for Windsors and Romeos but they are unaware of which sets where used on any one particular 4.6 2v. I said "thats Stupid" and he said "Yup, and that's Ford."

So the outcome is that you could use Romeos on a widsor block and Verse-Visa BUT you may have to buy new timing parts.

Here's the Tech number is anyone wants to call for themselves....Which I doubt any one will because YOU"RE ALL TOO LAZY.....
1-800-FORD788
Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Romeo Blocks have 11 bolt valve covers, Windsor Blocks have 13 bolt valve covers. I have a 2002 GT with a vin X Romeo engine.
The valve covers have 13 bolts on one head and 14 bolts on the other head on Windsor engines.

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

If you drive one of those funny looking body styles just before the new edge body style then you have a romeo engine. All parts are interchangeable except the valve covers.

Uh, I think you mean sexy body styles. Ha ha...
And Not all parts are interchangeable when doing a Windsor PI swap. There are 4 bolts for the timing cover that are 8mm for Romeos and they need to be 10mm for Windsors.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:52 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

romeo uses a 6 bolt flywheel, windsors use 8 bolts
winsors are suppose to vin code x and romeo are w (i know it doesnt make sence) so a 2002 model car could have been built in 01 with a windsor engine.
romeo heads also use a girdle for the cam bearing caps, windsors dont. like n2o98gt said, just use romeo pi heads. as for the timing set differance, as stated earlier. romeos use bolt on cam gears and windsors dont. the timing chains on 4.6 mod engines are all the same except for the cobra on uses forged links and the gt's dont and the cobra's use a 2nd smaller timing chain for the extra cams.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:44 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Blocks-When it comes to 2V 4.6 engines, you'll find there are as many as 12 different castings, but the basic architecture is the same so any heads will bolt up. For performance applications we recommend finding a 1996-up block because these (Romeo and Windsor) have cross-bolts used on all five main caps. Windsor blocks use dowels, and most Romeo blocks use jackscrews; neither have proven to be stronger than the other.

Crankshafts=The stock crank in 1991-95 Romeo-built SOHC engines is the F1AE casting that is made from nodular iron. It has six, knife-edged counterweights (the front one measuring .960 to .980 inch), and the flywheel flange has six holes. Beginning in 1996, Romeo engines used a similar crank that carries cast No. F65E. This crank also has a six-bolt flange, but the front counterweight measures .920 to .940 inch. Therefore, you may find an interference problem when installing an F1AE crank in a 1996-up block. All Windsor engines came with the F65E crank, but some had a six-bolt flange, and some came with eight. The most desirable crankshaft is the forged steel unit found in 1996-03 Cobra engines (cast No. F2LE-AG). The Cobra crank can be used in iron-block SOHC engines as long as the eight-bolt flywheel is used (SOHC passenger-car cranks have a six-bolt pattern). Note: Windsor engines may have a different crank (cast No. F65E), which has a smaller front counterweight (.920 inch thick versus .940 inch on the F1AE) so any Windsor engines must be built using the F65E crankshaft or an interference problem may occur between the counterweight and the main area in the block.

Connecting Rods-All 4.6 engines (except the 2003 Cobra) were fitted with powdered metal rods that have cracked caps. Generally, passenger car engines from the Romeo plant got press-fit piston pins, while Windsor engines got floating pins. Rods can be interchanged, but we recommend using aftermarket steel rods in any performance applications.

Pistons-Ford used three different pistons in the 4.6 engines. The 1991-99 Romeo pistons have a 10.5cc dish and a 1.5mm/1.5mm/3.0mm ring package, and the pin was press fit to the connecting rod. The 1996-99 Windsor (non-Power Improved) pistons have the same dish and ring dimensions but are of the floating type with circlips holding the pins in place. Lastly, Windsor PI engines have different pistons with a larger (18.5cc) dish to reduce compression, on the PI engines, due to the closed chamber heads. Therefore, it must be noted that a rise in compression (to about 10.5:1) will result when PI heads are installed on a 1991-98 engine.

4V heads on a 2V block-This swap is a direct bolt-on, however there are no advantages over using the aluminum block other than availability and/or cost. Note: there are a variety of chain tensioners that may differ depending on where the block was produced.

Front Covers-Because the Modular engines are used in so many applications, there are quite a few styles of front covers. Passenger car covers differ from truck covers and van covers are similar only to themselves. Likewise, the Mustang covers are different altogether and even from year-to-year. Some covers used 8mm bolts, while others use 10mm bolts. So it's important to keep the cover with the block. When building an engine from scratch, the only way to ensure that you have the proper cover is to trial fit. Then you must be certain that the engine accessories will attach.

Underdrive Pulleys-Aftermarket pulleys are popular among Mustang owners. The 1996-98 pulleys are of one design, but like most other parts on the Mod engines, they changed with time. Thus, the 1999 design is different, and sometime during the 2001 production run, Ford changed the water pump design again, requiring a different offset in the water pump pulley. Therefore, there are many distinct water pump underdrive pulleys depending on whether you have a 1996-98, a 1999-early 2001 or a late 2001-present engine.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:23 AM
pcs
4th Gear Member

my 99 gt has the same pulley as 96-98
it was in the middle of 01 when the water pump pulley was changed. if you order underdrive pullies they are sold as either 96-01 or 01-04
romeo blocks are the ones that need to be machined if you are trying to swap cranks, say to a cobra one.
using an early 4.6 cobra block (teksid) does have advantages, less weight and a much beefier design.
but anyways this topic was started to ask if pi heads would swap to a non pi engine, not differances between the windsor and romeo block
Old 06-08-2008, 02:22 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Not all romeo blocks need to be machined to take a cobra crank only 96-98 romeo blocks.