4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problem with a foglight

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 PM
BeachStang04
4th Gear Member

Default Problem with a foglight

Just noticed that my driver side foglight is out! [:@]Heres the deal, I just got new bulbs about 4months ago and even though they are always on when i drive i didnt think it would burn out that fast. It was raining pretty heavy tonight and I had to drive through some unavoidable puddles of water. Do you think i may have blown a fuse or short circuited something?!?! If so is there a way to troubleshoot my problem, or something that i should look for. Its to late tonight to jack it up and even see if the bulb is just blown but when I do tomorrow what exactly should i look for. I know my way around an engine but wiring is not my forte. Thanks for any help!!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Default RE: Problem with a foglight

i had the same thing, bought a new bulb and went to put it in and realized that the whole light was busted...a rock musta cracked right through it...cobra fog lights ftmfl, they're glass

oh, and that set me back $125
Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

HAHAHA! I had the same exact thing happen and I bought a new housing and bulb too and it still happened. I then realized that it really does matter how you install the bulb. There is a certain waythe bulbplugs into the housing and you have to make sure you turn the bulb to where it will not turn anymore to install it correctly. I was told it was something to do with the grounding of the bulb. I was not making sure it was turned all the way.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:18 PM
BeachStang04
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stangatic

HAHAHA! I had the same exact thing happen and I bought a new housing and bulb too and it still happened. I then realized that it really does matter how you install the bulb. There is a certain waythe bulbplugs into the housing and you have to make sure you turn the bulb to where it will not turn anymore to install it correctly. I was told it was something to do with the grounding of the bulb. I was not making sure it was turned all the way.
Hm I will check that tomorrow. All the fuses are fine, and the housing isnt cracked i checked that. Maybe i just need a new bulb i dunno. Anyone know what kind of buld im gonna need?!?!
Old 02-02-2008, 03:12 AM
JayDs Ibanez
3rd Gear Member

go to autozone and get fog light part number 899, just bought mine cuz it had the same issue,never used them but rewired to have them on independently and looks awesome
Old 02-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Don't touch the bulb with your fingers! they are halogen and will bust if you do. Oil from your fingers get on the bulb and when the bulb turns on the smudge creates a hot spot.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:09 AM
BeachStang04
4th Gear Member

Alright thanks everyone. Now will i have to unscrew the whole housing to change the bulb or will the back pop off?!
Old 02-02-2008, 01:07 PM
JayDs Ibanez
3rd Gear Member

the back pops off just twist counterclockwise i think
Old 02-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

sometimes fords have issues with both foglights coming on. especially if you get upgraded crap like hids, turn them off and then turn them back on a few times to see if it clicks on. if not then try a new bulb, because they both run off the same fuse.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:47 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Casey, if you can wait till next week I'll give ya my stockers!

Quick Reply: Problem with a foglight