4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:31 AM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust question

i want a deep rumble, deeper than what my stock gt sounds like, isnt buying a muffler to make it louder what ricer poeple do?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:47 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

im glad that u do want the low rumble sound thats the mustang sound....as far as makin it sound like rice its nearly impossible i think unless u put one of those rice mufflers and even with that i dont think it will work...mufflers for us just make it quieter or louder for the most part..it does have to do with the pitch of the sound though...im sorry but i dont have an suggestions for a deep rumble exhaust system cause all the mustnags around me are really loud and sound bad *** like u drive up next to a person and rev the engine and they'll hold there ears and most likely dont wanna race...like ppl have said use youtube to find out wut u like...that wut i did and many other ppl too....and if u want a deep rumble u prolly would wanna get the catted h pipe....x pipe is louder higher pitched and raspier....
Old 02-15-2008, 09:58 AM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

is that legal? so i can get it done at a dealership
Old 02-15-2008, 10:03 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

for starters, look into getting yourself a cat-back system. I'd recommend stainless. I got my MAC for $429 shipped. do not go to a dealership for exhaust work...rip off. just call up a local muffler/exhaust shop and they can install it for $50-100. a new cat-back will sound entirely different than your stock setup. you will be very pleased. catbacks are completely legal. IF you are short on money, call up an exhaust shop and ask them how much to weld in some flowmaster 40's (mufflers). they can just cut your stock mufflers out and replace with flowmasters. it will sound much better than stock. i used to have weld in flowmasters, but the mac catback sounds much better, IMO.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Need4spd

ORIGINAL: wwturnerjr

If all you are looking for is more sound, you could go the cheapest route and have the stock mufflers replaced with glass pack mufflers. AutoZone sells the FlowTech Glass Packs for about $22.00. I have Flowmaster mufflers on mine and love the sound, plus they should provide some HP boost. Flowmaster's will cost you between $75.00 - $95.00 each. Figure about $150.00 labor to have either set installed by a shop.
What kind of Flowmaster's do you have? 40s Series? How is your sound - deep rumble?

I will do the same - not sure if I want Cat-back, so I will go with some mufflers for a while.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:20 AM
wwturnerjr

It's really hard to give you good advice on this without knowing how much money you want to put in on the exhaust system. Like I said, glass packs are the cheapest route and will give you a nice sound, but the more money you have to blow, the more options. Give us a clue where you want to be $$.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Need4spd

Thanks - Most of my current $$ will got to a suspension upgrade. So just about $200 left for exhaust. I thought about getting 2 Flowmaster mufflers - which ones do you have?
Old 02-15-2008, 12:12 PM
wwturnerjr

I think mine are the 30 series. They were already on the car when I bought it so I am not positive, but the sound is great!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Mustang 03 GT
1st Gear Member

I bought my entire exhuast system from summit racing. If you buy a o/r pipe be it x or h your chk engine light will come on. I bought a SCT tuner from Brenspeed and it too care of that. I was told those mil eliminators are a quick fix and that the chk engine light will come back on eventually. With my flows and the o/r h-pipe my cars sounds really mean, like the ol school 5.0's.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 PM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

so if i get a catted h pipe the light will come on?

Quick Reply: exhaust question