4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help, car has trouble starting cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:13 AM
shock00

Default Help, car has trouble starting cold weather

I got home last night after like a 2 hour drive.It gotvery cold(freezing)and the next morning my car would turn over but not start. After I reved it a little it would start but than die every time I let it go to idle, however the battery will stay on. After about 20-30 min of starting it and messing around it finally rannormal and didnt give me any more troubble on the way to school.
But I really dont know what this could be can anyone help me out, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Old 02-14-2008, 07:22 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help, car has trouble starting cold weather

drive it up to autozone and they'll wheel out their little machine and check your starter, alternator, and battery at no charge. that would be a place to start I think.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:52 AM
wwturnerjr

Could be a lot of things. When was the last time you gave your car a tune up, changing the plugs, filters, fluids, and cleaning the fuel injectors?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 AM
shock00

Well I just purchased it. It is a 2001 bullitt and it has 38k miles on it. Ichecked all the
fluids and they are all good, just had an oil changed ect. I dont think that the plugs would be going out yet with those few miles, and it has just got a new filter also.
I gessI will see if it keeps having this prob and if it continues I will have to take is somewere
to get looked at.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Rollin88

Fuel pump. The fuel injector in the fuel pump is probably bad. It is about 40$ installation is easy, or just take it to a shop. Either way that is definetally what it is. I had the same problem on my 99 mustang gt, a couple of months after i purchased it the same thing happend. Lights stay on radio etc. but when you try to turn it on, if you get it on it runs for a couple of seconds real crappy and then dies. Iwould not suggest continually trying to start it up by rev. your engine. You will eventually flood it.

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:46 AM
shock00

Ok thanks for the post bro, ya I did flood it by the way, funny that you said that. But I will deffanatly look into the fuel pump.
Thanks,
Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Battery or IAC mod gone wrong. I doubt it's your Alt. but give it a shot.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:37 PM
1999 GT
3rd Gear Member

it might just need a tune up...when its cold, turn your key on acc for a few seconds before you start itso all the electronics and fuel pump turn on - this will get everything going, so the car should start
Old 02-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

That happened to me one cold morning. I started the car but I let off on the key before it actually turned over. It choked on me and it shook the car when it did it. When I tried to restart it again, it took a couple cranks before it turned over. After that it ran like **** all day, sputtering and laughing at me, and when the motor choked it jumped my serpentine belt jumped one rib. I found thatout later on while I was driving, the belt shredded and was whipping around under the hood. Boy I tell ya....
Old 12-13-2011, 07:54 AM
brad2130
1st Gear Member

I've noticed that myself in my 1999 mustang. It's got 60k miles on motor and transmission (motor blew up last summer because i had a heavy foot). Nonetheless, my fuel pump, fuel injectors,spark plugs, coil pack, gaskets,wires, and everything were all replaced because this new motor had sat in weather for about a year. It runs like a freaking dream and drives better then ever. BUT with the weather being cold here (in the 30s) it's taking about 5-10 minutes to get started. It turns over but doesnt actually start untill i let the fuel pump engage about 5-6 times and keep cranking. But once it's started. It runs perfectly normal like nothing ever happened. I turned it off and started it again and it was normal. It's only when it is cold does it do this. I dont know what is causing this problem. =(

Quick Reply: Help, car has trouble starting cold weather