4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stuck Caliper

Old 02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Default Stuck Caliper

I have another stuck caliper. This time on my driver's side rear. The inside pad is stuck to the rotor and the outside pad doesn't even touch the rotor when the brake is pressed. I heard someone say that I might just need a caliper rebuild kit. Is it hard to rebuild the caliper instead of just buying a new one?
Old 02-24-2008, 01:21 PM
baino
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Stuck Caliper

might be easier just to buy one. shouldnt be that expensive for stock caliper
Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
YotaMaster

OMG I can't believe this happened to someone else. Mine slowly stuck so it worked it's way through the disc, ugly, really ugly. To fix it we had to replace the back half of the caliper bracket, at that point just get a new caliper. Must be a Ford thing.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

its not a ford problem , its a lack of maintenance . you should grease the slider pins/rods every year , front & rear . I've seen them stuck so bad you cant get them out w/ a vise , hammer & plyers .
Old 02-25-2008, 10:07 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

^^ +1. Just grease up the slide/guide pins.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

I had the same thing happen to me 3 months ago. lol It was bad. My rear passenger caliper decided to lock up in the middle of town. Talk about one of the most horrendous sounds...

I ended up having to buy a whole new caliper. It wasn't that expensive though.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:42 PM
g.stewart50

Typically, lack of grease on your pins will cause this, or a rip/tear in the boot to allow sediment to the sliding pins.However, it could be the square rubber ring around the piston. If that goes bad, it will also keep your caliper from retracting. You could get a new one, but rebuilding themiseasy. The hard part is finding a parts store that will sell you a seal kit. They should be less than $10 plus some brake fluid.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

It's not a Ford thing. Brakes wear out. I've replaced pads, calipers and rotors (drums) on almost every GM, Ford and Chrysler car I've owned.I tend to keep cars a long time. I suppose you could keep a caliper from locking up by taking it off and greasing the pins every year, but I don't know anyone who does that. Most people only do that when the car needs pads.

Buy a rebuilt caliper at Autozone. Don't forget to take back your old caliper to get a refund. You will need to put new pads on both sides of the car when you replace it. Be sure to lub the pins on the good caliper.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys. Well luckily I am in brakes class now at school and my teacher looked at it and said the same thing as you guys. It was because of the slider pins. It took a good amount of effort to get them out of the bracket. I called 3 part stores and they didn't have the pins so I called 3 Ford dealerships and they said it was special order and the earliest I could get the pins was in 3-5 buisness days. Finally I found a Car Quest that had them. Brakes work great now but my brake light comes on when I hit the brakes. I'll have to have my teacher take a look at it.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Is there a grease fitting for the brake calipers? Or do you just have to get in there and do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck Caliper