4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just did the rear brakes and now one is locked. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:22 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default Just did the rear brakes and now one is locked. Why?

Ok, I just replaced the stock rotors and pads in the rearof my 97 gt. All went ell except on the bracket of the driver's side caliper, the two spots you screw the piston into WON'T MOVE! I am talking about those two telescoping bolts. They just sit there. I banged them in with a big ratchet just enough to get the piston on and bolted in place.

Now, the driver's side brakes either lock up or hold tight enough to produce a lot of heat and smell really bad. That, and the pedal pressure steadily increased as I drove it. I also hear this loud 'whomp whomp' noise when I drive. Now I am at work and trying to figure this out before tomorrow. That i my only day off for a while and I need to fix this.

What is up with this? Do I just need a new bracket or does the entire rear system need to be replaced?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:27 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Just did the rear brakes and now one is locked. Why?

somethings messed up with em still? ill send u the pics once i upload em
Old 02-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Welllll.... I'm not exactly a certified mechanic broham, but the sound you describe sounds like the rotor is knocking against something or is maybe off on the alignment? Meaning on side is pushed in farther than the other causing it to wobble.. If the assembly is wobbling maybe something on the rotor is knocking againstthe strut producing the whomping sound you're hearing? That's as far as my thinking takes me if that's worth anything..
Old 02-28-2008, 05:59 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Pat: Yeah, I figured that would bite me later But, as you said, It's always something. And yeah, pictures would be fantastic when you get the chance.

As for the rotor knocking, I just don't understand how that thing can move at all. It is held not only by the brakes, but by five lug nuts tightened to 100 ft/lbs each. I just don't get how it could move. DO you have an idea of what could cause that?

If it helps any, when we took those pads off the inside one looked like new while the outside one was worn down to the metal.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

I banged them in with a big ratchet just enough to get the piston on and bolted in place.

Now, the driver's side brakes either lock up or hold tight enough to produce a lot of heat and smell really bad.
Oops...

You should never bang anything into place. Nothing on a car should be banged unless you need to demolish something.

Yeah your driver's caliper has overheated and probably should be replaced. The piston should have been screwed in to set it back for new pads. And the guide pins should be greased up as well as part of regular maintenance.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Fobra
Banned

sounds like you've lock up the piston in the caliper, take it to a muffler/brake shop, have him hook it up to an air compressor and blow the piston the out, then buy a 5.00 rebuild kit, and slap it back on there, should be fine
Old 02-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Juggalo351
2nd Gear Member

check your rotor, it could be warped. and it does sound like your piston is stuck if its only wearing down the one side, hope this helps
Old 02-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

if i read it correctly, it seems like yourguide pins are way seized. you should be able to move them in and out easily. usually what happens is water gets past the little boot and starts to corrode it from the inside
Old 02-29-2008, 10:55 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brute03

if i read it correctly, it seems like yourguide pins are way seized. you should be able to move them in and out easily. usually what happens is water gets past the little boot and starts to corrode it from the inside
You nailed it! That is exactly what the problem is. I'm sure the caliper works fine, it's rusted, but I still think it works. Those guide pins, though, are what I had to literally hammer back in to get that caliper back on. So, I need new calipers. I am thinking of getting the ones from American Muscle but here's the question: is it ok to leave my rear brakes in that state until I get new ones on there? I mean, the driver's side is dragging pretty bad, but not enough to actually stop the car when it rolls. Am I going to mess anything else up by leaving it like that?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:07 AM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

maby your rotor?

Quick Reply: Just did the rear brakes and now one is locked. Why?