4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2v cams worth the money??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 AM
jlw2387
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2v cams worth the money??

ORIGINAL: StangEatsRice

Do all aftermarket cams 'have' to be degreed? I know there is power to be had from degreeing, but can't the tuner make up for this? The cam install itself is really not that hard. Time consuming, i'd reccomend buying an electrical impact gun to make things easier. First time it took me 8 hours. I could prolly do it in like 6 now. Kinda jumped into it the first time. Taking motor out? What a joke. I'd say its worth it only if doing yourself. Full bolts ons and a cam, even without headwork, you would see around 270rwhp.
+1, I took a long time to do mine, but I was goofing off with my friends most of the time. Probly could pull it off in like 6-8hrs now. There were things i didnt think about when I started, like all the new gaskets, cam break-in oil, **** you break (power steering pump pulley for me), but know I know how its done, and what is needed. Good cams wont needs to be degreed, my VTs didnt.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

My compcams did not have to be degreed, comp puts a little leeway in them. That being said I was only 2* off on the drivers side head. If you pop the cam followers off before you take the chains off the cam should not move when you release tension. Just make marks to line back up too. I did it following the haynes manual also.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 AM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Yea i also used a haynes manual. First time i tried a cam install i used casper's write up from...moddedmustangs.com. Anyway i think i jumped a tooth and ended up having to pull the cover. Really the hardest part is getting the power steering bolt off, can only turn 1/4 turn at a time with a wrench. And then since i was doing it by myself i needed to hold the cam still with 1 hand and align the chains, tensioners with the other. If doing it again i would make sure to have a friend help hold **** still. It can very easily be done with a haynes manual, basic tools, and a friend.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 AM
jlw2387
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangEatsRice

Yea i also used a haynes manual. First time i tried a cam install i used casper's write up from...moddedmustangs.com. Anyway i think i jumped a tooth and ended up having to pull the cover. Really the hardest part is getting the power steering bolt off, can only turn 1/4 turn at a time with a wrench. And then since i was doing it by myself i needed to hold the cam still with 1 hand and align the chains, tensioners with the other. If doing it again i would make sure to have a friend help hold **** still. It can very easily be done with a haynes manual, basic tools, and a friend.
Yeah a friend is a must, I made my wife help me when my buddies werent around.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 AM
SofaKingFast
2nd Gear Member

rboert rocha his shop is called protcech performance there by ashle's furniture on frankford
ORIGINAL: texas_stang02

ORIGINAL: SofaKingFast

i couldent do the install i dont have a clue on degreeing a cam plus my local mustang tuner shop says you halft to pull the motor?? everyone around here says cams are a big waste of money and you dont pick up verry much power like less than 30hp
who do you take your car to in Lubbock? i moved up here from Houston not too long ago and haven't found anyone in town that i think i could trust to work on my car. and whoever told you that you have to pull the motor to put in cams is probably trying to justify their ridiculously high labor rates. a while back i was looking into doing cams and figured i'd call around and get some quotes just incase i decided i didn't want to or couldn't do it myself, and Complete Auto told me like $800 or $900.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 AM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

do they have a dyno at protech?

and about the cams, it really depends on what you plan on doing with the car. if you're looking for a power-per-dollar mod, then aftermarket cams don't really offer huge gains for the money you will spend on them plus installation (unless you can do it yourself). it also depends on what your power goals are.. if you have a built bottom end and want to put a supercharger on the car, then the cams will give you a pretty significant gain (compared to stock cams + boost). i see in your sig that you're already running nitrous, so cams would seem like the next route unless you want to put a s/c on it. if you're still using a stock rotating assembly (especially stock rods and pistons) i wouldn't try to go too big with the cams cause once you hit the n2o you could really tear things up if it's more power than the stock rods can handle. have you put the car on a dyno with the nitrous to see how much hp/tq you've got?