4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Borla vs. other exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Mustang 03 GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Borla vs. other exhaust

Some of us aren't able to pay for a exhuast that sounds preety good. Once again my flows and o/r h pipe does the mustang world justice. I am in the military and there is this guy that has a 06 gt with the bassini exhuast and o/r x-pipe and yes his car is louder than mine but it snack, crackles and pops (I told you that I'm old). All of you guys are right. It's all about the sound that you like and the price. My wife wanted to put a foot in my a## when I told her I wanted to buy the flows and o/r h-pipe. I couldn't imagine telling her I wanted to buy a bassini.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Subotai_95
That's true, but there's a difference between what you did and what he's talking about, because you bought them of your own accord because you like them.. Not because some other schmuck had them and you wanted to be cool like he was.. lol If you're going to mod your car get what you like and what's going to make you both comfortable with the car's setup and longevity, and tell everybody else to **** off if they don't like it.. lol

I personally couldn't stand flowmaster's AT kit when I had it on the mach because it made the car sound like it had a ma deuce in the muffler (if you don't know what a ma deuce is, ask anybody that's ever been in the infantry and they can tell you ALLL about it.. lol ).. I hated that sound.. I may have paid 1540$ for my pipes but that's including everything from the Long tubes to the high-flow cat'd H mids and the LM II kit that I have.. I probably paid a bit more for it, but I couldn't be more pleased with the way car sounds now vs the way it sounded with the flowmaster kit on it.. Again, that's just me though.. You obviously love how it sounds on your car, and that's cool...

And that was my whole point.. THINK FOR YOURSELF PEOPLE... LOL Opinions are just that opinions, form your own.. sshheeesshhhh..
I never said i bought them cause everyone has them. I said i love the way flows sound on a stang. And i also said everyone has them cause they like them. I didnt say get them because everyone has them.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:05 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

i love the sound of my SLP II's and the UPR o/r x...just screams
Old 03-08-2008, 09:37 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang 03 GT

Some of us aren't able to pay for a exhuast that sounds preety good. Once again my flows and o/r h pipe does the mustang world justice. I am in the military and there is this guy that has a 06 gt with the bassini exhuast and o/r x-pipe and yes his car is louder than mine but it snack, crackles and pops (I told you that I'm old). All of you guys are right. It's all about the sound that you like and the price. My wife wanted to put a foot in my a## when I told her I wanted to buy the flows and o/r h-pipe. I couldn't imagine telling her I wanted to buy a bassini.
The 05+ cars have a totally different sound with any of the brands than the SN95 cars do.
I hate the pops and crackles as well which is why I went Magnaflow and kept the stock H-Pipe and cats.
The H pipe keeps the deep sound and the cats tend to smooth it out making the sound mellow and deep.

Some people prefer the higher pitched type sound and they typically will go with and X pipe.

The main point is you have to buy what sounds good to you and forget about what others say.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:48 PM
TiffyGiGi

Thanks for replying all. I think I made a decision to go with the Borla mufflers and put them on another exhaust system.. Like breakinloose96 said. BTW, do you have a soundclip of yours??
My only problem is getting the biased guy at the shop to do it. He used to be all about Borlas and one day went sour with them. Now he pushes Flowmaster because that's what he's got on his. We'll see how it goes. Might have to look someplace else.
I had considered Bassani, but I figured if I'm paying that much I might as well go with the Borlas that I love so much. Gotta love the deep tone! =)
Old 03-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Andrews2003gt

Well Tiffy, if you like borla then you probably won't like flowmaster. Flowmaster has more of a tamed beast kind of sound. It's smooth and drony. I had it on my first mustang, but i just recently got SLP loudmouths and they have more of a rip to them. If you haven't done this already, youtube different exhaust systems on mustangs and see what you like.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:55 PM
TiffyGiGi

I have tried youtube a lot, but the sounds that pick up from a video aren't exactly what you hear in person. So it's hard to judge by that. I've heardFlowmasters in person. They're alright in my opinion, just not exactly what I'm looking for.