4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI swap, sound good???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default PI swap, sound good???

I have found a complete PI motor that I can pick up for $300, the ad says it had a slight knock when removed and was running. Now knocking is usually rod knock right? so I wouldn't have a problem since I will just be swapping the heads and other PI stuff. I'm gonna do astage 2 P&P job, stage 2 CMS cams,and put oversized valves in, new springs/retainers, and valve guides. Is Manley a good company to use because that is who I was looking at for the springs, retainers, and valves.

Now the motor is a 2001 so does that year have the aluminum crossover intake manifold? this sounds like a pretty good upgrade right?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:54 PM
NinetySix GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: PI swap, sound good???

If I were you I would figure out the knock/fix the knock and just throw the entire PI engine in. Its less of a hassle than doing a headswap and keeps your compression down. All the people I know that have done the headswap wished they would have just dropped the entire motor in, but since your already gonna P&P the heads its up to you. 2001 should have the Aluminum x-over also.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NinetySix GT

If I were you I would figure out the knock/fix the knock and just throw the entire PI engine in. Its less of a hassle than doing a headswap and keeps your compression down. All the people I know that have done the headswap wished they would have just dropped the entire motor in, but since your already gonna P&P the heads its up to you. 2001 should have the Aluminum x-over also.
Hey Butthole.... I know you from SVSU. We raced a bit leaving school down bay, at the begining of the year.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:57 AM
NinetySix GT
2nd Gear Member

Hey Butthole.... I know you from SVSU. We raced a bit leaving school down bay, at the begining of the year.
Hey *** clown lol. Actually I am in your Econ haha I thought you looked familiar. I am the one who sits next to the kid in the wheelchair, you may not recgonize me since I got a haircut. Ahh cant wait for Econ that guy is hilarious and reminds me I should study for that quiz.

P.S. break your stang out I wanna see that S/C! Then we will have a real race lol
Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Haha, so you really do know first hand I'm an assclown! lol My car wont be seeing the light of day for a few more weeks. I've got it dissasembled prety good. I hit a deer (a baby bambie shredded by a semi), a few weeks ago when I went down to Kentuky. Not a lot of damage just chipped paint on the bumper but to me it's too ugly to take in public. I'm also in the middle of rewiring my engine bay, to hide as many wires as I can. I didn't think it would be as hard as it's been lol. And, I thought it was you in class but I wasn't for sure.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

lmao, dont make me come to mich and whoop on both that ***.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97modifiedmustangGT

I have found a complete PI motor that I can pick up for $300, the ad says it had a slight knock when removed and was running. Now knocking is usually rod knock right? so I wouldn't have a problem since I will just be swapping the heads and other PI stuff. I'm gonna do astage 2 P&P job, stage 2 CMS cams,and put oversized valves in, new springs/retainers, and valve guides. Is Manley a good company to use because that is who I was looking at for the springs, retainers, and valves.

Now the motor is a 2001 so does that year have the aluminum crossover intake manifold? this sounds like a pretty good upgrade right?
id just use the heads, because it will raise your compression a bit and itll make the car quicker. heres an example, my friend had, 3.73 gears, k&n filter, tb, plenum, bassani o/r x, 2 chamber flows & drag radials, and was running 13.20 all day, dont ask how because i dont know. now he blew that motor and got a motor from a 96-98 and put the pi heads on it and his last pass before he blew that motor up was 12.90. not saying itll happen to you but id go for pi heads on a 96-98 block.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

compression doesn't bother me cause I won't be going s/c but I will run nitrous and if I remember you want a little higher compression w/ nitrous.

What else could be a "knock" in this motor? usually refers to rods right?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:53 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

A knock could mean pinging. could've been fuel system issues or something like that. hell, it could be anything. keep looking for a motor without problems, don't buy somebody else's headaches.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

A knock is probably a rodany way 300 aint bad. Buy it and put the stuff on your shortblock or if you could afford it buy a forged shortblock.

Quick Reply: PI swap, sound good???