4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

hibernating

Old 03-17-2008, 01:27 AM
Krissy107

Default hibernating

With-in the next month to month and a half Im going to be breaking my mustang out of hibernation. I just bought a jeep this winter and it was the first time my car hasn't been driven in a while. I do occasionally start it to charge the battery, but is there anything else I should be prepared to do when I first start driving it, change the oil too I'm assuming and maybe syphon out the gas and put fresh gas in (although with gas being 3.50-3.60 I don't really want to do that if I don't have too). And I know that I need new tires since my old ones are crappy now, and new routers and new brakes. lol but anything else.... just so I can start saving up!! Please help and let me know you're ideas. Thanks =)
Old 03-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Krissy107

Default RE: hibernating

also I need more horsepower, I already have headers, high flow cat. converter, cool air intake and flowmasters h-pipes, I'm interested in learning more about the computer chip things.... Idk what they are... so any info, let me know =)
Old 03-17-2008, 07:23 AM
IanJK46conv
2nd Gear Member

you don't need to syphon out the gas.. probably should have added stablizer before you stored the car. Unless you needed new brakes before you parked the car, they should be fine, run it down the road. Depending on what you stored your vehical in, you probably should have taken the car out do re-apply the brakes so you don't have that coat of rust on your rotors. Also wouldn't be a horrible idea to change that oil either. New tires, if they're almost time to junk them and they're rotted or have flat spots from sitting all winter, it would be save to buy new sneakers.. As far as performance, what mustang do you have? V8, V6, GT, Cobra..etc? I have an 03 and I'm getting ready to get it on the road myself. They typical 1st stages of modification are gears, wether it be 3.73s, 4.10s(depends on where you drive your vehical the most and what you plan to do with it). If you mostly drive highway, it might be more efficient to buy 3.73s, whereas 4.10s are a nice city gear with the most torque. Then since you have the intake, you might want to look into a throttle body/plenum(accufab makes a nice set up, sharp looking also). You already have the exhaust, nice nice. Also look into underdrive pulleys..not a bad way to make a few more hp. Then depending on where you live, take it to a speed shop and give them 5-600 dollars for a chip/tune/dyno. That should get you started... Again, it depends on what you plan to do with the car, what type of roads you drive and what model you have. Welcome to the forum, there are quite a few experience people here who will be able to give you advice, and most everyone has an opinion to back that up!
-Ian
Old 03-17-2008, 07:35 AM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

He explained it pretty well but if you want to do the tuning yourself with a handheld tuner that would be an option. It seems like you know a thing or two about cars. So I know you'll get mixed comments bout different tuners, but one of the easiest tuners are the X Cal 2 or 3. It just asks you simple questions about your car and your done. You also have the ability to change many other things such as if you add more mods. So whichever way you go, it is worth it. I Like the GT by the way my friend has a black cobra and makes me wish I would have chosen black 4 years ago .
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 AM
IanJK46conv
2nd Gear Member

just lookd at your profile.. last time i checked sct's website for a tune shop near me, there were a couple in CT so you might want to check around for a good word on either one. also, nice car, I have the same exact thing, black conv. Different rims though.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

The fuel you have in the tank should be fine, but next time you store it throw in a bottle of stabilizer. I would definitely change the oil and check all the fluids.
I'd go with gears next if you're looking for a little bit more oomph out of it, 3.73's or 4.10's depending on what kind of driving you do. There a a bunch of different handheld tuners, and I'd suggest getting it dynotuned at reputable shop, but with your mods you wouldn't benefit a whole lot from it.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:14 PM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

I would also recommend to change the fuel filter and run some sort of cleaner for your entire fuel system. If your tires get a flat spot from sitting all this time, just drive it around a couple miles and they "should" get back to normal. But if you already needed tires, this would be a good time to get some. I have Falkens and absolutely love them.

I just took my stang out of hibernation (wisconsin) and havent stoped driving it, although we are still supposed to get a little snow. I totally forgot what a beast this car is. After driving my intrepid all winter long, I am def loving the pull the stang has now, especially with all the cool air still around.

I saw your other thread bout the nissan... Bitch slap that guy will ya. Doesn't bealive in 1/4 mile times..jeez. Prob doesnt bealive the car in the front is the winner eaither[8D]
Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Krissy107

yah I'm happy I choose black, my dad told me not too but I did anyways ....
Old 03-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Krissy107

I want to get different rims, these are the ones that came on my car when I bought it ....
Old 03-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Krissy107

I know I def. should've done that! Someone told me I should do that, and then I forgot, but too late for the stabilizer now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hibernating