4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problems with changing gauge cluster lighting!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

Default Problems with changing gauge cluster lighting!

Last night i tried to change the gauge cluster lighting from the green to blue. I took off the needles and overlay and started sanding off the green tint. I did it how it was said to do in the previous thread about this. My problem is that the needles seem to be off. Idk how to really fix this so its accurate again. Also the tach seems to stick, I think i can resolve this by glueing down the overlay and pulling out the needle a little bit. Should i just have the car running for a while to get the gauge reading where they were supposed to go. Then, for example just move the temp gauge to the middle(where it usually is after about 15min of driving.) Same with the oil pressure gauge? Battery seems fine. I think the speedo is close too(hopefully). What does a auto gt idle at in neutral? Ill probbaly just move the needle to about 700rpms or whatever it is while its in neutral. Would this work? Also whoever said get the tri leds---they suck. There still are hot spots and theyre $4 each[:@]. I just ordered some blue incandescant bulbs and well see if those are anybetter. Any opinions? Help!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:26 AM
My_1st_Stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Problems with changing gauge cluster lighting!

Man that sucks for sure...If I remember right I read that if you took off the needles then they would need to be recalibrated. I wouldn't even know where to start for that. I'm getting ready to change out my bulbs to LED's but I bought the ones from superbrightleds.com

Here's the link to the step by step that I'll be following...
http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=19730.0
Old 03-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Leeiswho2b
2nd Gear Member

Had the same problem after installing white-face guages. I had to put the needles back on while the car sat at idle. I set my guages at where I thought they would normally be with the car warm. Fuel guage was the toughest. Had to guestimate. My tach also seems to be sticking quite a bit....not smooth as it was before. Haven't been able to figure that out. I have tried adjusting the needle from tight to loose. Doesn't seem to matter. The speedo should be fine. It would be sitting at 0 regardless of idling or not.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:28 PM
My_1st_Stang
1st Gear Member

Bummer...the link didn't take. Let me try it again...

www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=19730.0

I can't seem to get it to work. PM me and I'll send you the link.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

i know what link youre talking about thats the one i used too. I dont know how i should go about recalibrating all of it.

New ?: Does the low fuel light come on with the sensor in the tank or when the needle gets low enough on the gauge? Cuz that would suck if that didnt come on at the right time. I realize that they are both dependent upon the sensor in the tank but is the light gonna be dependent upon the actual gauge?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Take the needles off the tach and speedo and leave them off. Get the car to op temp and put the needles on the other gauges as close to where you think they should go. They are just dummy gauges so they wont be perfect and wont matter. For the tach and speedo push and hold the trip reset and start the car make sure you leave the outer plastic cover off so you can access the gauges. Continue to hold untill the it says test where it would normaly read the miles on the car. Go for a drive on the freeway and get to the legal speed limit and set the crusie control. Push the trip button untill it says "ENG" then it will say how fast you are going and place the neddle then push it again till its says "tach" and place the needle. Then go home and put the rest of the cluster back togather.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

thank you so much oxfordgt didnt eve think of that but it sounds like it will definitely work. Should i just back the needles off the gauges a little bit if theyre sticking? Also what about the gas gauge?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:44 PM
99mustang38or46
1st Gear Member

Check out this link if you have a digital odometer use this to find out how far off your speed is and your tach. Plus this has a bunch of other interesting feature:

mustangworld . com /ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm
Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

thanks you guys are great
Old 03-21-2008, 10:07 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

ok well i did this 2 weeks ago....i got the blue leds...you do get some hot spots...the sides of the rpm and speed are brighter than the top...not much tho...i glued down the gague face and pulled needles up a bit for it woudlnt stick....also to recalibrate it do that trick to make your odometer digital speed rpm and such...