4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

forged, or 4v swap..

Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Default forged, or 4v swap..

here are my goals. Super charged with horse power from 450 to 500. so lets say like 475.
i have been looking all over at short blocks and i find ones that handle like 600 700 hp. are there any shortblocks built for like 500?

also any places you guys recommend?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Fobra
Banned

Default RE: losing my mind. buying shortblock

yeah the stock one... 600-700 is as weak as forged gets
Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

so would it better better to buy a 4v engine if my hopes are only for no highier then 500 horse power? how much can the 4v handle? and exactly what am i gonna need to do that swap??

or can i just buy the 4v and toss her in?!? ha
Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Fobra
Banned

well 480 crank is like 400 ish rwhp. that can be done on a stock motor. a 2v can make just as much power, you just need head work and more boost, i am 4v fan but it all depends on you and how much you want to spend. a s/c will hit your goal, so will n20... ive done both and s/c is definitly the way to go
Old 03-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fobra

well 480 crank is like 400 ish rwhp. that can be done on a stock motor. a 2v can make just as much power, you just need head work and more boost, i am 4v fan but it all depends on you and how much you want to spend. a s/c will hit your goal, so will n20... ive done both and s/c is definitly the way to go
Im thinking i will just stick with the 2v then. Either i will keep my block and forge it, or ill keep looking around for a forged shortblock. Is there any disadvantage or advantage by going either way??
Old 03-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Fobra
Banned

the power band of a 4v is better and it will make more power w/ less boost. the flip side is that the 4v is not the best design in the world and problems in the valve train are fairly regular. Not to say that its a pos. you just have to be aware of certain things and expect certain things... esp in high performance, imo the best setup is a 3v, still simple like a 2v but performs like a 4v. 4v is going to be the king of power overall comparing the ultimate setup to the ultimate setup... but in reality anyone of these setups can beat the other. the disadavtage to alot of this stuff is wasted time/money/effort keep your final goal in mind and you buy things that arn't needed or want meet your final goal
Old 03-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

the power band of a 4v is better and it will make more power w/ less boost. the flip side is that the 4v is not the best design in the world and problems in the valve train are fairly regular. Not to say that its a pos. you just have to be aware of certain things and expect certain things... esp in high performance, imo the best setup is a 3v, still simple like a 2v but performs like a 4v. 4v is going to be the king of power overall comparing the ultimate setup to the ultimate setup... but in reality anyone of these setups can beat the other. the disadavtage to alot of this stuff is wasted time/money/effort keep your final goal in mind and you buy things that arn't needed or want meet your final goal
here is a question: if i kept my block and put forged internals in it and supercharged it say with 500 horse power (max). Would that hold up?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

If you get a stock 4v (other than the terminator) you will still be limited to around 420 rwhp. They have the same rods and pistons as the 2v.Stock the 4v heads flow better, but a supercharger forces air through the 2v heads. a 4v may be able to get to 400 with less boost, but it's still only 400. To safely go above that you need forged internals. If both motors have forged internals then the better flowing heads make a difference.

stock 4v> stock 2v
stock 4v< supercharged 2v
supercharge 4v = supercharged 2v
supercharged 4v < forged s/c 2v
forged s/c 4v > forged s/c 2v

Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Eagle2000GT

stock 4v> stock 2v
stock 4v< supercharged 2v
supercharge 4v = supercharged 2v
supercharged 4v < forged s/c 2v
forged s/c 4v > forged s/c 2v

that right there answers my question. thanks. Im gonna stick with my 2v and build it with forged internals.

Pistons, Rods.. what else needs to be strengthened? in the motor im talking about cause i know im gonna have to build my rear end too.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Fobra
Banned

ORIGINAL: Daveo2k6

here is a question: if i kept my block and put forged internals in it and supercharged it say with 500 horse power (max). Would that hold up?
ohh yeah... forged rotating kits (most) can take upwards of 800-1000 to the wheels

Search this Thread