4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

? FOR THE SUSPENSION PROS! (UPDATED!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:43 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Default ? FOR THE SUSPENSION PROS! (UPDATED!)

Ok, here's my issue... My car was leaning, 1" higher on passenger side than driver side on front, 2" higher on passenger side than driverside on the back. I thought that a new set of springs(EibachPro Kit, because I drag enough and didn't need lower)would fix the problem, I was wrong! So my question is this, what would make the car do this? Is there something else that can be replaced to even it out? When I changed the springs, I made sure the coils were all in the same place and everything. Any ideas? This is driving me crazy!!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:54 PM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ? FOR THE SUSPENSION PROS!

That is very odd. I would check out your control arms and make sure none of them tore away where they mount to the car. That would deffinetly change the suspension geometry.
Are there any creaks or pops coming from the suspension when you go over bumps?

Old 03-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Check your struts and shocks?
When myused sportlines were .5" higher on one side, i took the isolator off that side-maybe cut half a coil andrun with out isolators on the side thats high?
Sorry man- i know how furstratingan uneven car can be-been there.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:00 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Come to think of it there may be bit of noise but I haven't really narrowed it down to just when going over bumps. And I assume your talking about rear control arms?
Old 03-22-2008, 02:05 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jbauer

Check your struts and shocks?
When myused sportlines were .5" higher on one side, i took the isolator off that side-maybe cut half a coil andrun with out isolators on the side thats high?
Sorry man- i know how furstratingan uneven car can be-been there.
Don't think that this avenue of attack hasn't been thought of, remove isolators and cut springs. I was wondering about struts and shocks just couldn't figure out how they would be able to keep the cars weight supported to throw it off that much. Anythings possible as we all know.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

No- bad struts can certainly make it VERY eneven. my moms camry sat 2 inches higher on the rear left when the strut blew, and then the right side blew a few weeks later and it totally dropped another 2 inches right after a speed bump. i've seen lots of other cars that sit uneven because of bad shocks and struts too.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:26 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jbauer

No- bad struts can certainly make it VERY eneven. my moms camry sat 2 inches higher on the rear left when the strut blew, and then the right side blew a few weeks later and it totally dropped another 2 inches right after a speed bump. i've seen lots of other cars that sit uneven because of bad shocks and struts too.
Thanks for the tip, looks like the next project in the process of elimination!
Old 03-22-2008, 03:26 PM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

does nobody use the search function? those eibach prokit are notorious for an uneven drop.check the posts out, tons of complaints.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:54 PM
wfo440

It's possible that it could be the twinkie effect also. (too many twinkies = driver side sag.) I just put FRP C-springs on my Bullitt and it is right on the money. If the rubber isolators are missing it is gonna squeak alot on bumps.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Eibachsare notorious for sagging, and not prokits- Sportlines. i've installed dozens of prokits, and besides the crappy looks- i've never seen an uneven drop, especially not by an inch or more.

Quick Reply: ? FOR THE SUSPENSION PROS! (UPDATED!)