4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch/Trans Help & Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:07 PM
KartR31487
2nd Gear Member

Default Clutch/Trans Help & Question

My cars not being driven much now, but developed a problem yesterday. As you push in the clutch pedal, I hear a horrible whining coming from the front of the transmission area. It goes away as soon as you let off the pedal. I can shift gears fine, and the noise only happens when the pedal is depressed.

Could this be the throw out bearing? If so, anything else I should look at while having itchanged, and is this a hard job? Does the transmission need to be dropped?

Question/Problem #2. A few months back, I jumped a light pole a drunk driver knocked into the highway. Everything down the center of my car on the underside was bent or cracked. I guess its a swaybar or lower shock tower brace on the front is bent. What is this exactly and where can I get an aftermarket replacement? It looks like the has the front of the car pulled together several inches.

Problem 3. The same pole cracked the bellhousing for the transmission really bad. I wouldnt mind changing the transmission. Would the 6 speeds from the Cobras help any with gas mileage? Or let me drive as a lower RPM to keep the exhuast from sceaming so loud? And are there any other transmissions I should look at? I'm looking for something to use as a daily driver or a cruiser, I'm done with driving it on the track.

Back to the above, does the transmission have to be droppped? And if so, good time to change the clutch? Still factory.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:16 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch/Trans Help & Question

Ok, to answer your first question. Yes, the tranny needs to be dropped to change the TOB. That's what it sounds like it could be and you should use this as an excuse to get an entirely new clutch. Unless yours is new and/or perfect right now, you should just get an entirely new clutch kit and swap it out.

Now, about that running over the light pole thing. It sounds like your car could possibly be qualified as totaled. Take it to a mechanic and have them give you their best guess on the damage. DO NOT take it to a dealership. Take it to one that you or someone you know trusts. If it is totaled, stop now and collect the insurance money. You don't want to be caught modifying a car you WILL NOT be able to sell even if you wanted to.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 PM
KartR31487
2nd Gear Member

ive put several thousand miles on it since the light pole incident. It perfectly cracked or dented everything in the center of the car though. i took off that suspension bar yesterday and the car flexed out about an inch. if i lifted it off the ground it may felx more. I'd like to order a new one and see how it lines up, but I really dont even know what its called. I would assume some type of front lower sway bar...

I'll probably put a new clutch in. If the trans has to be dropped, its a good time to do it and save on some labor. Any thoughts on the transmission?

Oh, and the guy that knocked the pole over....illegal hispanic immigrant driving an unregistered/titled car. Not much I can do about that.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

My main concern would be the driveshaft, if that was thrown out of balance by even a millimeter can cause ya major problems. When the bellhousing cracked did you leak any fluids(trying to figure out how bad of a crack we're talking about). I have a cobra t56 and at 75 in 5th I'm at 2500 and 75 in 6th is 2000 rpms, the cobra transmission really only has 1 flaw, that most people upgrade when they start upping boost in a termie, the 10spline input shaft is weak and most go for a 26spline unit.
If you have a 6 bolt crank on your gt though you won't be able to upgrade it, also with our gt's being a bit lighter a cobra trans is actually rated slightly higher than in the cobra.

A Viper spec t56 has a much better gearing for 5th and 6th but the price is what made me go with a cobra t56 swap over the viper (I paid about 3000 for everything, trans, alum dshaft, loop,tune, mgw shortthrow, ****, leather boot, bezel, and bullitt pedals.)

Lastly, get your car on a frame machine to see if there is any frame damage.