4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

re-use metal screen when installing CAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:58 PM
LongfinsGT
1st Gear Member

Default re-use metal screen when installing CAI

when i did my induction work a couple days ago i replaced the plenum, throttle body and put on a cold air induction system. everything was extremely easy but i was wondering if it matters that i didnt put the metal screen that is in between the stock air box and the mass air back in the new CAI.Im assuming it was just back up incase something got threw the filter. did you guys put it back in your CAI?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:23 PM
ninelives19821
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: re-use metal screen when installing CAI

I had no choice. I had to replace my MAF and the new one didnt come with one and it was bigger then the old one and the screen no longer fit. Im sure its there for saftey but it must also be a silencer, cause my intake whistles like a **** now without it.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

It's not there to protect the maf from andything that got past the filter (nothing that big will ever get past the filter) it's there to straighten the airflow to the engine. Altough, being a secondary filter could be a part of it.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 PM
LongfinsGT
1st Gear Member

but what im curious is should i put it back in? i would think that it would restrict airflow as it straightens it. so which is more important having more air or having straightend air? i havent heard any whistling but my exhaust is so loud it blocks alot out.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Well, i left mine out because i didn't think i could have a good seal with it on. I wouldn't worry about it- i think i faintly remember a certain Intake manufacturer recomending to leave it out- i think it was eitherK&N or JLT.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:59 AM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

The screen straightens the airflow to the MAF so the MAF can get a clear measurement of air mass. Turbulence will tend to mess up the measurement, and would cause an improper A/F mixture.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:28 AM
mustang manac

when i bought my cai i re-used that screen and clamped down those bolts so i had a tight seal. so i take it i shouldnt of put that screen back in
Old 03-25-2008, 08:18 AM
LongfinsGT
1st Gear Member

see i think if it was that important to have in there it would have been on the install instructions that came with me cai. plus i have looked at every sites install instructions and not one of them say anything about it. personally i just think that if i was supposed to re-use it they would have put one in with my cai parts. i just dont like the gasket around the screen its just all dry rotted and messed up. i think im going to just stick with it the way it is untill either i have idol probs ect... thanks everyone
Old 03-25-2008, 11:24 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

mine is off no problems has been a year
Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

I have a JLT and they said that the screen will not be reused so I am assuming that it isn't a hole lot important.

Quick Reply: re-use metal screen when installing CAI