4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New to forum, Cheap beginner mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Robbgt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New to forum, Cheap beginner mods?

Just checked out the MGW, just from looks and quality along looks pretty good! where are you guy getting them from? look like around 200 from MGW site, any cheaper elsewhere?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Robbgt
1st Gear Member

Ok, So here is what I'm thinking so far
1. Gas Pedal Mod
2. MGW short throw shifter OR Steeda Steeda Tri-ax
3. K&N Drop in with Air Silencer Delete
4. SLP LMII's Cat Backs
5. Steeda Underdrive Pulley's

Anything else?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 PM
jmsjags
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Robbgt

Just checked out the MGW, just from looks and quality along looks pretty good! where are you guy getting them from? look like around 200 from MGW site, any cheaper elsewhere?
the MGW site is the only place i could find it. mine cost $196.00 total (shipping + inner dust boot). took about a week to ship
Old 04-01-2008, 12:58 PM
jmsjags
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Robbgt

Ok, So here is what I'm thinking so far
1. Gas Pedal Mod
2. MGW short throw shifter OR Steeda Steeda Tri-ax
3. K&N Drop in with Air Silencer Delete
4. SLP LMII's Cat Backs
5. Steeda Underdrive Pulley's

Anything else?
that looks good to me. i have all of that except the pulley's and gas pedal mod (which i'll eventually get to one of these days lol). u might wanna get a midpipe too for better sound and a little more horsepower. i also plan on getting a tb/plenum as soon as i can save up some more money. but other than that i wouldn't waste anymore money on bolt-ons. just get all that stuff installed and start workin on the exterior if u want
Old 04-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Robbgt
1st Gear Member

Ok thank you! Definatly going to do Mach 1 Grill Delete (no question, First mod on the car) and possibly the chin spoiler. May go with a "lighter" Tint because I'm going to be doing ALOT of night driving (eyes arn't great as it is...) what % would you guys recomend that isn't to dark, but still looks good? I'd like to have good visibility if possible

-Robb
Old 04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
5speed01GT
2nd Gear Member

id go with a steeda catback...i have that and i just bought an o/r x (not yet installed). when i went to pick it up the guy i bought it from had full flowmaster exhuast and he sat in his car reving and i did the same...when he came out he said the only thing he could hear was my pipes

and if you have the money id say the next mods should be gears, lowering springs, a t/b and plenum

its like 200 for the gears, 200 for lowersprings and about 250-350 for t/b and plenum without install
Old 04-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Robbgt
1st Gear Member

I'll probably stick with factory gears because this is going to be mostly a highway car, with little around town. Looking to get best MPG's as well as some performance touches. How do the lowering springs ride for long trips? again, just looking to get best drivability for long trips. Thanks!

-Robb
Old 04-01-2008, 01:20 PM
fobra570
2nd Gear Member

short throw and gears are must's

Old 04-01-2008, 01:27 PM
5speed01GT
2nd Gear Member

i havent done my gears yet but ive heard they dont really hurt your mileage too much

like if your doing 70mph in 5th gear your rpm now would be at 2000 and with 410s i belives its like 2300-2400

you probably will get like .5-1 mpg less highway but its suppose to be the most bang for your buck as far as mods go
Old 04-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Robbgt
1st Gear Member

Ok, if I do gears I'd do 3.73's then. Only problem is all the mods I've listed above I can do myself no problem. Gears, however I'd be a bit nervious doing myself. I don't know enough about backlash, shims, etc to do myself. Is this something a "back-yard" mechanic can do? Or should I take it to a reputable shop? I think i's stick to my above, then down the road do gears if i decide to...

Quick Reply: New to forum, Cheap beginner mods?