4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Procharger bov...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:25 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Procharger bov...

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: Whamo

^^right but haveing a bov to atmosphere has its advantages too. you dont recirculate the hot compressed air,and you get a lot more options on placement.
anyone who knows how to setup a superchrger correctly would put your maf after the bov. people use bypass because the stock maf on most cars can not handel the heat and pressure of the tubing after a s/c. and they make small maf's for bov's too that effectivly subtract the air leaving the bov.
I don't think I really agree with that. From what I have seen and heard the blowoff/blowthru maf setups are much harder to tune than a bypass/draw thru maf setup. So far as the hot air recir issue, since this does not happen except at the end of a WOT period, and since its such a small amount of air (when shifting for example) I don't see this being a real issue.

I have yet to see a procharger setup with a bypass, OR a vortech one with a blowoff valve. IMO the bypass/draw thru setup is the way to go, as there are far less problems to deal with so far as the maf not seeing boost and its easier to tune.

Obviously the draw thru setups don't have problems making big power, as every single twin screw and eaton setup out there is nessicarrilly a draw thru.

The twin screw/roots blowers also discharge the air back into the manifold instead of right behind the MAF and there is much less actual volume of air to be vented. Think about how much air physically is in your system when it is pressurized at full boost vs the amount that is in between the heads and lobes of a twin screw.

But lets say you were running say....15psi with your vortech intercooled, and you vented all that pressurized air back into the 2 foot intake tube between the MAF and the blower. The air would be forced to back up through the MAF. There is nowhere else for that much air to go that fast.
It just doesn't work out like that. I would wager there isn't a single vortech/paxton setup on this website that is NOT draw thru, and there are plenty of themrunning 15+PSI

The draw thru setups do not have large issues with this, so long as the discharge is pointed at the compressor. The amount of air being discharged is not equal to the entire air being moved by the system... its only enough to acutally depressurise the pipping so it doesn't cause pressure waves to smack into the compressor fan when you let off the gas.

The bypass is open anytime your not WOT (or close) but its not a constant windstorm anytime your not WOT. Pressure is only building up when your boosting, and its only really flowing quickly thru the bypass when you let off after a boosting run. Afterwards its not enough to travel all the way back thru the system and jack with the maf, and even during that time the compressor is still flowing air (even if just recirc air) so it basically consumes what it puts out.

The major problem is that big push right as you let out.. and as stated this problem is not an issue if the bypass connection is pointed away from the maf enough.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:41 PM
stangbnmalo
2nd Gear Member

Hey thanks for the responses guys, I guess I'll go with it just for the sound then. Some of you mentioned that by having a bov it would be a lot more difficult to tune the car but that's not a problem sice I'm tunning my at MAK Performance which the only place procharger recommends here in the Miami area. Too bad I won't be able to enjoy my car in Miami where cops don't care if you race or do burn out in the middle of the street cause I'm living now in Gainesville a tight *** little college town where I almost get a ticket yesterday in my freaking scooter haha. Well getting back to the topic is there any vids of stangs with bov because I looked everywhere and nothing???
Old 04-04-2008, 01:06 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

ORIGINAL: Whamo

^^right but haveing a bov to atmosphere has its advantages too. you dont recirculate the hot compressed air,and you get a lot more options on placement.
anyone who knows how to setup a superchrger correctly would put your maf after the bov. people use bypass because the stock maf on most cars can not handel the heat and pressure of the tubing after a s/c. and they make small maf's for bov's too that effectivly subtract the air leaving the bov.
I don't think I really agree with that. From what I have seen and heard the blowoff/blowthru maf setups are much harder to tune than a bypass/draw thru maf setup. So far as the hot air recir issue, since this does not happen except at the end of a WOT period, and since its such a small amount of air (when shifting for example) I don't see this being a real issue.

I have yet to see a procharger setup with a bypass, OR a vortech one with a blowoff valve. IMO the bypass/draw thru setup is the way to go, as there are far less problems to deal with so far as the maf not seeing boost and its easier to tune.

Obviously the draw thru setups don't have problems making big power, as every single twin screw and eaton setup out there is nessicarrilly a draw thru.

The twin screw/roots blowers also discharge the air back into the manifold instead of right behind the MAF and there is much less actual volume of air to be vented. Think about how much air physically is in your system when it is pressurized at full boost vs the amount that is in between the heads and lobes of a twin screw.

But lets say you were running say....15psi with your vortech intercooled, and you vented all that pressurized air back into the 2 foot intake tube between the MAF and the blower. The air would be forced to back up through the MAF. There is nowhere else for that much air to go that fast.
It just doesn't work out like that. I would wager there isn't a single vortech/paxton setup on this website that is NOT draw thru, and there are plenty of themrunning 15+PSI

The draw thru setups do not have large issues with this, so long as the discharge is pointed at the compressor. The amount of air being discharged is not equal to the entire air being moved by the system... its only enough to acutally depressurise the pipping so it doesn't cause pressure waves to smack into the compressor fan when you let off the gas.

The bypass is open anytime your not WOT (or close) but its not a constant windstorm anytime your not WOT. Pressure is only building up when your boosting, and its only really flowing quickly thru the bypass when you let off after a boosting run. Afterwards its not enough to travel all the way back thru the system and jack with the maf, and even during that time the compressor is still flowing air (even if just recirc air) so it basically consumes what it puts out.

The major problem is that big push right as you let out.. and as stated this problem is not an issue if the bypass connection is pointed away from the maf enough.
I realize that not all the air is vented out. Only enough to bring the pressure back down to what is usually running through the system while not under boost. In response to your comment about twin screw/roots, I was saying that there is more air to be vented in a intercooled centri system in order to de-pressurize the system when compared to a positive displacement blower. And that they aren't vented anywhere near the MAF, so they wouldn't have the same issues.

I never said that it would be any sort of windstorm under partial throttle conditions. The drivability issues only would occur like you said after having the car in full boost and letting off. I think were in agreement about that one.

I don't know exactly what everyone is running for their blower setup on here, I am going off what some very reputable tuners have told me about the pros and cons of draw/blow thru setups. But I would venture to say that if there were tons of people on here with more than just an entry level vortech or paxton and were running some serious pressure, that quite a few of them would have converted to blow through.