4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2004 40th aniversary GT exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
bigpatsgt
2nd Gear Member

Default 2004 40th aniversary GT exhaust question.

I have flowmaster dual exhaust just the mufflers. I want an x pipe but I'm not wanting my car so loud i can't think because it is my everyday driver for now. Is it better to get catted x pipe or off road???? Also, what brand should I buy??
Old 04-04-2008, 11:26 AM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2004 40th aniversary GT exhaust question.

if you don't want it that loud, look at H pipes and the mac prochamber. Both of these keep it a little bit quieter than an X. Hi-flow cats are another alternative and with technological advances today, they really don't rob that much HP.

IMO if you're on a budget and want an OR x, try UPR
if you want offroad but not as loud, try MAC prochamber
if you want cats then the bassani makes a wonderful x pipe where you can change the cats in and out (they bolt in where a straight pipe would be)

www.ninosport.com or www.americanmuscle.com have a great selection of pipes.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:42 AM
silver04stang
2nd Gear Member

i agree with the guys above. if you dont want loud dont go with O/R x. thats what i have right now with magnapacks and its too loud for daily driving...i have to shift at like 1700 to not get pulled over. im swaping out for regular magnaflow mufflers soon too.

if you go with a catted X its going to be a lot more than O/R just to warn you. personally i think that if you have a O/R x with regular mufflers it sounds pretty good and its not too loud, but loud enough. my buddy has a O/R x with regular magnaflow mufflers and he has a cobra. it sounds pretty good and its not insanely loud.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:46 AM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver04stang

i agree with the guys above. if you dont want loud dont go with O/R x. thats what i have right now with magnapacks and its too loud for daily driving...i have to shift at like 1700 to not get pulled over. im swaping out for regular magnaflow mufflers soon too.

if you go with a catted X its going to be a lot more than O/R just to warn you. personally i think that if you have a O/R x with regular mufflers it sounds pretty good and its not too loud, but loud enough. my buddy has a O/R x with regular magnaflow mufflers and he has a cobra. it sounds pretty good and its not insanely loud.
that's exactly what my neighbor has. UPR O/R x and magnapacks... it's SOOOO LOUD compared to mine. Like night and day when we cruise.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=viPpYtak1rc
Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 PM
meechuacon
3rd Gear Member

I had the Mac off-road prochamber on my 00' GT and loved the sound, it wasn't too loud but much better than stock when you got on the throttle. I'd say at idle, a little bit deeper tone but not much louder, at WOT you could tell the cats were gone. I'm going to get a stainless one for my new Mach 1!! I can't wait to hear the 4V rumbling. Its got stock exhaust on it now and it's WEAK sounding.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:46 PM
bigpatsgt
2nd Gear Member

with all that said is it all direct bolt fit or do those x pipes fit those headers?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
rezarxt
2nd Gear Member

mods in my sig. is louddd.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:18 PM
sonicbluehorse
1st Gear Member

I've got Flowmasterswith the UPR off road x and I think its pretty loud and I'm sureeverybody on my street thinks so too. I know its not the loudest you can get but for a daily driverI wouldnt want it any louder. just my opinion. It really roars when you hit the gas under an overpass. I love doing that to people that are next to me.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 PM
bigpatsgt
2nd Gear Member

rezarxt

is yours so loud you can't even think in the cab or just loud enough to **** off your neighbors?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

I have flow 40's and o/r h. when i'm at idle its a real low rumble and not noticable much at all. when i'm cruising at 55 in 5th you can't hear it much

BUT it's loud as hell when you stomp on it or hit the sweet spot at 2200ish rpm on the freeway

Quick Reply: 2004 40th aniversary GT exhaust question.