4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mach audio and iPod

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:01 AM
ryanc

Default Mach audio and iPod

Hey all, I have a couple questions about my 02 GT coupe.

1) How do I tell which Mach Audio system I have in my car? The face of the stereo (which is a 6-disc changer) doesn't say it, and neither do the triangular window speakers on the corner of the doors. The triangular door speakers just have a gray label that reads "Mach Audio system". I do have two silver/grey amps under the rear speakers in the trunk.

2) If I do have the mach audio system, how can I hook up my ipod to work with it? I read about a special adapter that plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the stereo deck.

thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 06:15 AM
bjh061487
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mach audio and iPod

dunno if you can tell, but are the amps in the back stock amps or are they aftermarket? if they are the stock amps then you have a Mach 1000 system if they are aftermarket you could either have a Mach 460 with amps added or the Mach 1000 with different amps
Old 04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
$0c@lponiboi

if you look in the owners manual you can find the type of system you have and if there is no adapter for the cd port you can get one from crutchfeild.com it easy to install
Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 AM
1999 GT
3rd Gear Member

you probably have the mach 1000, because i have the 460 and it says mach 460 right on the speakers by the a-pillar...but if you want to hook up your ipod, go buy an adapter that you plug into the power outlet right in the center console and then plug the other end into your ipod- thats what i do- works great
Old 04-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Just go with a wired FM Direct Adapter. It's kind of a Hard wire FM transmitter. Regular FM transmitters sound like crap and always have interference. Courtesy of the FCC who made all manufacturers turn down the power. The Direct Adapters use an in-line antenna booster. They way I normally explain it to people is the FM T has to travel across the car to reach the Car Ant but the Direct Adapter is like laying the transmitting Ant and the Receiving Ant on top of each other. Less travel + better signal = Better sound.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

One more thing, the Mach head units are VERY sensitive. Don't cut or splice any wires on the lead side of the Deck. It will check the Security light on very easily. Also most of 6disc changers have a sticker on top that says don't flip over if CD are inside. They also say SCRAP IF DROPPED. So be careful.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:25 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ryanc

1) How do I tell which Mach Audio system I have in my car? The face of the stereo (which is a 6-disc changer) doesn't say it, and neither do the triangular window speakers on the corner of the doors. The triangular door speakers just have a gray label that reads "Mach Audio system". I do have two silver/grey amps under the rear speakers in the trunk.

2) If I do have the mach audio system, how can I hook up my ipod to work with it? I read about a special adapter that plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the stereo deck.

thanks
Do you have 2 subs in the trunk ?
Do you have FOUR amplifiers on the tray in the trunk?
Does the tray say "Mach 1000" on it?

Then you have a Mach 1000.

Based on what you wrote, it souncs like you have the Mach 460

As for the iPod hookup, if you are interested in good sound don't waste your money on ANY FM transmitter.
They all suck.
Some suck more than others.

Get this instead:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...amp;i=581DFF10

Old 04-11-2008, 03:27 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

ORIGINAL: ryanc

thanks
Do you have 2 subs in the trunk ?
Do you have FOUR amplifiers on the tray in the trunk?
Does the tray say "Mach 1000" on it?

Then you have a Mach 1000.

Based on what you wrote, it souncs like you have the Mach 460

As for the iPod hookup, if you are interested in good sound don't waste your money on ANY FM transmitter.
They all suck.
Some suck more than others.

Get this instead:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...amp;i=581DFF10

I was just looking at the adapter you posted, but it only states for 96-03 fords....any reason why it wouldn't work for my 04?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:05 PM
IanJK46conv
2nd Gear Member

did you guy get factory tweeters with your system?? I DON'T!! I want the factory look of the tweeters toward the front of the side window next to the side mirror.. know what i mean?
Old 04-12-2008, 08:35 AM
ryanc

well, i still can't figure out which system i have because i don't have the owner's manual. the deck nor any of the speakers say "460" or "1000" anywhere on them, just Mach Audio.

I am going to be replacing the head unit with a Panasonic unit that was in my old SRT-4. this unit has built-in iPod functionality and will be easy to integrate the Mach subs/amps with the headunit using this how-to:

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...Head-Unit.html

Quick Reply: Mach audio and iPod