4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Timing Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:15 AM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Timing Question?

all i did was break it down how it actually works, i dont expect you to understand, YOUR NOT A MECHANIC!
Old 04-11-2008, 11:16 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

LOL here i did a google search for you quit passing out bad info and confusing people!!

do some research before you post!!!

http://www.svt4u2try.com/Mystuff/Mus..._adjusters.htm
Old 04-11-2008, 11:18 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

Q) Ok, so what is a timing adjuster? A) A timing adjuster is a device that adjusts the timing of the spark to better suit your performance needs. The Timing Adjuster uses a unique method to alter the timing of the vehicle. The computer determines what position the engine is at by using a small magnetic sensor. Steeda moves that sensor out of the engine and suspends it near a toothed wheel attached to the front of the drive pulley. That toothed wheel can then be rotated with respect to that pulley which advances or delays the computers perception of where the engine is in its' cycle. It's a mouthful and sounds precarious, but due to the construction of the parts, it works flawlessly

Q) So can I change my ignition timing for more power or better emissions? A) Yes. The timing of the spark is important, and the timing can either be advanced[/i] or retarded [/i]depending on conditions. The time that the fuel takes to burn is roughly constant. But the speed of the pistons increases as the engine speed increases. This means that the faster the engine goes, the earlier the spark has to occur. This is called spark advance[/i]: The faster the engine speed, the more advance is required. Other goals, like minimizing emissions[/i], take priority when maximum power is not required. For instance, by retarding the spark timing (moving the spark closer to the top of the compression stroke), maximum cylinder pressures and temperatures can be reduced. Lowering temperatures helps reduce the formation of nitrogen oxides (NOx), which are a regulated pollutant. Retarding the timing may also eliminate knocking; some cars that have knock sensors will do this automatically.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:18 AM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

OK IM WRONG ABOUT THE timing adjuster, but not about the info, i thought he had adjustable cam gears.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:19 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

MMMM - HMMMM

glad im not a mechanic...
Old 04-11-2008, 11:20 AM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

actually im not a mechanic
Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 PM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

im sorry....but this thread was/is hilarious!

[]D []/\[] []\[] c[]
Old 04-11-2008, 02:11 PM
2012White5.0
2nd Gear Member

Yea it is pretty funny, but thanks for your help MoKo_04GT , you pretty much said that same things that I was already thinking, I wanted to make sure i wasnt totaly off.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:03 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98SN95

this is the correct way to do it, when you adjust your timing you change your static compression ratio, do a compression check, you will find that one side of the engine is lower than the other by a very small amount, adjust your timing gears on the opposite side to match the lower compression on the other side.
actually thats wrong as well, cam timing is set by degreeing the cams.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MoKo_04GT

Q) Ok, so what is a timing adjuster? A) A timing adjuster is a device that adjusts the timing of the spark to better suit your performance needs. The Timing Adjuster uses a unique method to alter the timing of the vehicle. The computer determines what position the engine is at by using a small magnetic sensor. Steeda moves that sensor out of the engine and suspends it near a toothed wheel attached to the front of the drive pulley. That toothed wheel can then be rotated with respect to that pulley which advances or delays the computers perception of where the engine is in its' cycle. It's a mouthful and sounds precarious, but due to the construction of the parts, it works flawlessly

Q) So can I change my ignition timing for more power or better emissions? A) Yes. The timing of the spark is important, and the timing can either be advanced or retarded depending on conditions. The time that the fuel takes to burn is roughly constant. But the speed of the pistons increases as the engine speed increases. This means that the faster the engine goes, the earlier the spark has to occur. This is called spark advance: The faster the engine speed, the more advance is required. Other goals, like minimizing emissions, take priority when maximum power is not required. For instance, by retarding the spark timing (moving the spark closer to the top of the compression stroke), maximum cylinder pressures and temperatures can be reduced. Lowering temperatures helps reduce the formation of nitrogen oxides (NOx), which are a regulated pollutant. Retarding the timing may also eliminate knocking; some cars that have knock sensors will do this automatically.
PWND!

Quick Reply: Timing Question?