4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Switched to Synthetic, Lost Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Roger2003GT

Default Switched to Synthetic, Lost Performance?

I just switched to synthetic (Mobil 1 10w30) a couple weeks ago. It's a 2003 GT Auto, K&N filter, stock otherwise. It has 74,000 miles on it and saw nothing but conventional oil up to this point. I've put about 400 miles on the car since the switch and recently noticed a weird type of hesitation when I get on it while rolling. When I step on it, it now down shifts twice instead of just once like it used to. Don't know of any other way to explain it. Could this have anything to to with the switch to synthetic or should I be looking elsewhere? Any help will be appreciated.

Roger
Old 04-16-2008, 04:53 PM
josh.davis
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Switched to Synthetic, Lost Performance?

I am going to take a wild quess and say no.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:09 PM
fyouceeku
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Roger2003GT

I just switched to synthetic (Mobil 1 10w30) a couple weeks ago. It's a 2003 GT Auto, K&N filter, stock otherwise. It has 74,000 miles on it and saw nothing but conventional oil up to this point. I've put about 400 miles on the car since the switch and recently noticed a weird type of hesitation when I get on it while rolling. When I step on it, it now down shifts twice instead of just once like it used to. Don't know of any other way to explain it. Could this have anything to to with the switch to synthetic or should I be looking elsewhere? Any help will be appreciated.
Roger
If I weren't such a smartass, I'd probably have something worthwhile to input, so yea.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:23 PM
02TorchRedGT
1st Gear Member

You should use 5-20W like recommended. The downshifting should be determined by your computer....vehicle speed and rpms are calculated and the comp should put it in the right gear. Don't know exactly what you mean about shifting twice. In my 02 GT Auto it will downshift from Overdrive to first gear if I nail it at about 40mph.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fyouceeku

ORIGINAL: Roger2003GT

Roger
Im sorry as this is funny but I would go to the nearest chinese resterant and get a fortune cookie your trouble shooting needs.

Or you could try this http://www.osric.com/8ball/

wth is up with 10w-30 anyway? They use 5-30.
There is no need for harsh comments, I'm sure there was a time you didn't know jack about cars.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

your tranny might be on the outs. Check your Tranny fluid as per the owner manual. You might have a band in your tranythat is going bad. My old mustang had that problem and i had to get the overdrive band fixed. That is my sugestion.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Did you put the oil in the tranny or engine? (sorry had to ask)

Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

74k miles, have you ever had your had your transmission fluid flushed or the filter replaced? When was the last time you checked the transmission fluid level? FYI if you are experiencing a shifting problem, you should start by looking at the trans.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

the engine oil is not effecting transmission shifting.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:10 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Ihad a friend that told his wife to check the oil & fill it if it was low. She called him @ work& said car was smoking really bad after she filled the oil. When he got home he pulled the dipstick&,oil came out, lol. Turns out she literlly filled to to top of the valve cover untill she couldnt get any more in,[sm=insomnia.gif] HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. He took 10 quarts out!!!!!! LOL. She just looked @ him & said "you said to FILL it".

Quick Reply: Switched to Synthetic, Lost Performance?