4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Should I go adjustable????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:11 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default Should I go adjustable????

I haven'tpostedfor a while but asthe mod bug makes its rounds again i am looking towards suspension this time , more specifically control arms. I'm pretty much set on UPR since they are good quality and are fairly cheap but i have a few questions about whether or not to get both upper and lowers adjustable or if i should not bother and just get the solid ones. i know that the adjustable uppers are good for correcting pinion angle but what else can benefit me by going adjustable? I won't be going with a huge drop, actually i'm just using stock fox GT springs with maybe a half coil cut so i don't think my pinion angle will be off. Another thing is i have heard that withadjustable control arms you can change the ride height, but by how much. Just looking for your thoughts on this.

Personal experience would be great.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:21 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Should I go adjustable????

bump, someones got to have control arms out there
Old 04-17-2008, 08:07 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

My personal experience with adjustable suspensions is mixed.. It's great to be able to fine tune things down to millimeters and thousandths of inches, but realistically, how far do you want to take your car?? Most folks would never use most of the adjustments, but if you are planning, or have already gone lower, adjusting the pinion angle is a good function of the control arms.. Doing so can get rid of some of the high RPM vibration you may have in your driveline.. It's not a end-all, be-all to it, but it helps.. The key to adjustable suspension is making sure everything is, in essence, zeroed out, so that you can make incremental changes without affecting driveability... You don't want one side squating more than the other, and you don't want the drive shaft to not be completely centered on the car..

JT
Old 04-17-2008, 11:43 AM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

so what do you think about solid lowers and adjustable uppers? i just can't find out if going adjustable is going to benefit me...
Old 04-17-2008, 12:06 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Not a bad combination at all.. Do you plan on taking it to the track much??

JT
Old 04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
BlackMUstang96GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97modifiedmustangGT

I haven'tpostedfor a while but asthe mod bug makes its rounds again i am looking towards suspension this time , more specifically control arms. I'm pretty much set on UPR since they are good quality and are fairly cheap but i have a few questions about whether or not to get both upper and lowers adjustable or if i should not bother and just get the solid ones. i know that the adjustable uppers are good for correcting pinion angle but what else can benefit me by going adjustable? I won't be going with a huge drop, actually i'm just using stock fox GT springs with maybe a half coil cut so i don't think my pinion angle will be off. Another thing is i have heard that withadjustable control arms you can change the ride height, but by how much. Just looking for your thoughts on this.

Personal experience would be great.
Upper and Lower control arms would help out with suspension but from my experience, I helped my buddy install KYB AGX Adjustable shocks and struts and a set of Eibach Sportline springs we had to have shop install the caster/camber plates and align it, after the install wetook it for a driveon awindy back road and man did it hook up around corners. I think installing some like this would make you really happy. Makes the car have a good stance and handles really well. Its up to you tho what you want to go with. The shocks and struts cost around $500, Springs were $200 and Caster/Camber Plates were like $200 or so. Made a huge difference in handling. You can get all this from Latemodel Restoration- www.50resto.com
Old 04-17-2008, 02:01 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

it will see the track once a month maybe once every two months. I am not looking for handling i am more of straight line weight transfer guy. I already have CC plates, KYB AGX adjustable struts, lakewood 50/50 drag shocks, steeda bumpsteer kit (ball joints, tie rod kit), FLSFC, 4cy. fox springs in front and stock fox GT springs out back with a half coil cut. this is all ready and waitingto go on, none is on the car now.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:32 PM
BlackMUstang96GT
1st Gear Member

it will see the track once a month maybe once every two months. I am not looking for handling i am more of straight line weight transfer guy. I already have CC plates, KYB AGX adjustable struts, lakewood 50/50 drag shocks, steeda bumpsteer kit (ball joints, tie rod kit), FLSFC, 4cy. fox springs in front and stock fox GT springs out back with a half coil cut. this is all ready and waitingto go on, none is on the car now.
Have you thought of maybe installing the steeda g-trac bar, subframe connectors? These are cheap upgrades that will help stiffen the body. Do you have a strut tower brace? Upper and lower controls will help out alot in astraight line. Steeda Adjustable lower control armsallows you to lower or raise your car 1 inch.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:44 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

like i said i have subframe connectors= FLSFC, took off my strut tower brace.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:50 PM
BlackMUstang96GT
1st Gear Member

like i said i have subframe connectors= FLSFC, took off my strut tower brace.
Sorry missed that, well then go with the upper and lower controls arms thatyou were looking at. The adjustable steeda lower control arms you just use a standard 1/2 ratchet to raise or lower the car.

Quick Reply: Should I go adjustable????