4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Finally..Now what>?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:15 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Default Finally..Now what>?

OK, I finally picked up my new mustang, well new to me. Its a 2000 GT 5 spd. I have an SLP loudmouth, catted xpipe and bbk fenderwell intake waiting to put on already. Has anyone had a trouble putting on this exhaust system without a lift? I have only hand tools and jack/jackstands availible. Is this somethingi need to pros to do? I havent even opened the boxes yet, so im not sure whether the kit needs welded in or just gets clamped. Also, the clutch feels about worn out. I have to let the pedal up REALLY far before it engages. Any recommendations on brand/style for street/strip use? I want to be able to drive it around town or on a trip so i dont want a clutch that is so stiff i cant hardly push it in. Ive heard good things about centerforce, is this a good brand? Lastly, the wheels and tires that are on it are off a 6cyl. from 98 i think. They suck basically. I want 18 inch wheels, and a WIDE tire. What size/brand tire/wheel do you recommend? I am looking at maybe getting them from tire rack. I'd like a lighter wheel and im willing to pay a lil extra for them. I saved alot of money on this car so i have a little leway. Im going to leave the suspension and brakes stock for a few more months, but soon enough i will upgrade them too. I want to lower it a little bit and make it stick in the corners. Sorry about the book, i just dont want to waste money. Your opinions make a difference. Thanks guyz. Happy to be here.
Devon.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 AM
racersforford
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Finally..Now what>?

I personally have never put a cat-back on a mustang, but have put quite a few exhausts on quite a few cars, and I have never used a lift. The manufactures of the exhaust make these so pretty much anyone can do it, it's not hard, take your time, and pay attn, and you'll be good. Also, I've heard that the SLP is a good sounding exhaust system.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:35 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Anybody else?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 AM
chriswells78
1st Gear Member

The only thing that I would recommend in addition to the tools you have for the exhaustis a Sawzall and steel blades. Especially if you live in a snowy part of the country. Without a lift and depending on how tall your jack stands are, it can be a PITA to get the stock exhaust over the axel. It's much easier to cut them. And I have had lots of exhaust bolts round/break when trying to take out factory exhaust piping. Check the box before starting this though. If it requires welding and you don't have a welder, forget it.