Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-19-2005, 11:35 PM   #1
spederman
2nd Gear Member

Default do stangs have rev limiters?

I am not used to my new 02 with 3:55 gears (came with it) and 1st gear wraps up really quick. Every so often I'll try to go be ear to shift and when I do look down the tach is buried in the red (7K rpm). I have done this only a few times but hope I didnt screw anything up. Does the Mustang have a rev limiter that it will bounce off if I hit it or will it just blow the engine? My G35 I sold had a rev limiter so I knew that it would catch the RPM's if I shifted too late.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
spederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: do stangs have rev limiters?

im pretty sure your stang has a rev limiter because on my predator it has an option to change it not really my field of expertiece tho

Exhaust Clip
"My car turns gasoline into noise."
DuckyGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:46 PM   #3
orang04gt
2nd Gear Member

your limiter should be set at 6200. unless it been changed with a programmer or chip.
VT stage 1 cams, flowmasters, SCT w/custom tune, 3.73, steeda cold air, bbk 70mm tb, upr shifter, upr plenum, bassani x-pipe, FRP cermanic headers, steeda u/d, eibach pro-kit springs, 315/35/17 nitto D/R's. formerly badv6.
orang04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:47 AM   #4
the07sniper
1st Gear Member

yea, it does. im not sure about gt, but i have a99 cobra and ive hoit the rev limited before when i wasnt paying close attention.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:29 AM   #5
Mike02GT
1st Gear Member

Yes i have a 02 gt... the rev limiter is set at 6050rpm,stock, but i have a predater and i reset mine to 6200rpm...
Mac Intake Plenum
Flowmaster exhaust into 4" Magnaflow Tips
Diablosport Predater Tuner- Tuned by RWTD
13.7@101.9
Mike02GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:45 AM   #6
LIVIN_LEGEND
2nd Gear Member

6050 with predator i set mine at 6150.......... its good to have. ive hit it a few times in the heat of battle
Old 04-20-2005, 08:26 PM   #7
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to racer02GTstang

i dont have a rev limiter.... a couple times ive missed shifts powershiftin cause the shifter wouldnt go in and i hit 7500 rpms. that scares the sh*t out of me when it does that. i have a superchips programmer so that could be why. does anyone know how i can set my rev lmiter to like 6500 or so if i miss a shift. i dont want to blow the motor.

HP stage 2 twin turbo kit
forged shortblock from MMR
VT stage 3 blower cams
stage 3 ported heads w/ oversized valves
built TKO500
P-51
+ alot more

693rwhp 608 toque w/ a slipping clutch and 18psi. on pump gas
racer02GTstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #8
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Quote:
ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

i dont have a rev limiter.... a couple times ive missed shifts powershiftin cause the shifter wouldnt go in and i hit 7500 rpms. that scares the sh*t out of me when it does that. i have a superchips programmer so that could be why. does anyone know how i can set my rev lmiter to like 6500 or so if i miss a shift. i dont want to blow the motor.
yeah, 7,500 is pretty high for a 2V LOL. You better check your manual for the programmer or check the website.

I don't know why anyone would want to raise the rev limit.....these engines stop producing any reasonable amount of power at 6,000 anyway. May as well shift back into the powerband.

I have the predator too and left the rev limiter alone. Kicked the traction control to the curb though
Old 04-20-2005, 08:54 PM   #9
98UAGT
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to 98UAGT Send a message via Yahoo to 98UAGT

Yeah, revving past 6200 is useless, cause shifting at this point will put you back into the powerband. Otherwise all you are doing after 6200 is beating the crap out of your motor, you won't be making much power unless you have some radical cams.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:18 PM   #10
SweetStang04GT

Racer02, i think i had the same problem as you. I have superchip as well and i opened my baby up on the high way and when i came out of first and tried nailing second it just grinded. So at first i am like, damn i am getting a little rust behind the wheel, so i tried again.... Grinded again... I had to adjust the stop screw in the shifter. I hope that is what was wrong because all bottom gears were gone and i thought i blew the tranny. I was at about 6100 when i shifted and this happened.

Starting to wonder if it is the chip now that i read your post....
Pro Chamber Pipes
MAC CAI
BBK Alum. Pulleys
Superchips Chip
MGW Shrt Shfiter

Soon to Come: Everything and anything else...
SweetStang04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:18 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
99, gt, limiter, limiters, mustangs, rev