4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How NX works, basic N2O info

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:40 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default How NX works, basic N2O info

I'm sure I could have posted this in Pipes, Boost & Juice, but there are a lot of questions here about nitrous and this thread will be technical so I figured this is a good place for it.

If anyone would like to add to it feel free.

I've been running NX for about 4 years with great success, I'm sure between myself, and other nitrous user this can be a veryinformative thread.
This is how my system works:
1st thing is I make sure I have premium fuel in the car!
I open the bottle and check that the pressure is in the GREEN (between 900-1100 psi).
I arm the system but turning the activationswitch on
I make sure everything is good (traction control off, on good dry straight surface, etc)
I push the gas pedal to the floor, which trips the wide open throttle (WOT) switch
Once the rpms reach 3k (my window switch is set for 3k on and 6k off) and the fuel pressure safety switch (FPSS) varifies I have the right fuel pressure it sprays a NITROUS and FUEL (wet kit)
When it time to shift I let off the gas (releasing the WOT switch and turning the N2O off until I complete the shift and floor it again.
I repeat the shifting untill I am done with the race, then turn the activation switch off. If I don't plan on running again soon, I close the bottle and purge the line to release the pressure.

Basically I make sure the bottle pressure and the roads are good, arm it and drive like I would in a normal race, all the safety equiptment does everything for me!

I have the NX Gen X 2 safety kit and suggest that if you want to have a "safe" system buy the safety stuff!

If the bottle pressure is too low, this would cause the car to run rich, dangerously rich. In this case you would turn on your bottle heater to raise the pressure. I would never suggest a torch, being cheap and stupid can cost you your life! Is nitrous flammable? NO. Can a nitrous bottle explode? YES!!! Just like anything that is under pressure, if the pressure gets too high (without being properly released) or the bottle gets weak (due to a torch), it can and will explode. Your bottle will come with a pressure release valve, use it, along with a blow down tube to let the gas escape the car incase it by some chance pops.

If bottle pressure is too high it can cause the car to run dangerously lean. Letting a bottle cool or purging it can lower the pressure.

What is a window switch? It will not roll your windows up or down, it will allow you to set the rpm in which you want the nitrous to turn on and off.
What if I spray at to low on an RPM? On a wet kit, you may allow the fuel to puddle (or sit) in the intake which could then ignite and blow a hole in it. I've had mine set at 3k and have never had a mishap or even a slight backfire.
What if I miss a shift while spraying? Once the window switch reaches the off position it will automatically turn the nitrous off and help prevent real damage!
Do you need to tune a NX 100 shot? I didn't and I've been fine, but it definately couldn't hurt. I would suggest at the very least getting on the dyno and checking the a/f ratio. You also DO NOT WANT ANY ADVANCE IN TIMING, some tuners may want to retard timing depending on the shot size.
What sparkplugs should I run? On a 100 shot, 1 step colder copper plug with a tight gap works well. I run NGK TR-6's (part # 4177) gapped at .035. ***Check spark plugs often and learn what to look for when reading a plug!***
Will nitrous cause problems? Like anytime you add a substantial gain in power, you want to make sure your car is in proper working order, a small problem can become a big problem and be prepared to replace some weak stock parts like a clutch.
When I spray it starts off good and then fades away, what could it be? Bottle pressure is likely the cause, a full bottle will maitian pressure better than a 1/2 empty bottle that's been heated. A leak could also cause a similar problem.

If you act like an idiot and abuse it it will most likely come back and bite you, if you use your head you should have some great success.

this is something I just threw together, it hasn't been copied and pasted from anywhere. Some of this is my opinion, it is what has worked for me but not a guarantee to work for everyone.

Mike

Old 05-06-2007, 07:46 PM
cammed99gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How NX works, basic N2O info

Zex plugs is really good to.Thats what i run and im on a 150 shot
Old 05-06-2007, 08:51 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

never used them, anyone else have anything to add?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:40 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

anyone else have anything to add?

Yes....Nitrous is the Devil[sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 05-07-2007, 12:45 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

thats what mama said.

i cant wait to get some NAWS on my car.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:51 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Thats a great write up.

What is a window switch? It will not roll your windows up or down, it will allow you to set the rpm in which you want the nitrous to turn on and off.
HAHAHA. People ask me that often. lol
Old 05-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Sonic_BlueProCharge

I thought about going with NOS with my set up >> would that be a good idea
[align=left] [/align]
Old 05-07-2007, 12:57 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

NOS, ZEX, and NX are all great brands for nitrous...
Old 04-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Texas01GT
1st Gear Member

i just have a question, because i was thinking of going with nitrous 100 shot, i would DEF buy all the saftey stuff that you mentioned...now my question is my 01GT has 80,000 miles on the ticker...is that too high of mileage to go with a 100 shot, or will i be ok??